Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

stereo question

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 04:20 AM
nba1341
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by tx65coupe
The USB flash drive is cool too. I actually really like that idea. I only know one person that has it. Do any of the retro stereos offer that function?
Yea the newer custom autosound has it although the display is so small to read its almost like you kind of have to know whats where or change while vehicle is at a stop.

scootchu's radio setup is what i'm going to do except I'm using the radio delete rather than keep my old broken radio in the dash.
Old 06-04-2010, 11:31 AM
TheMarco
2nd Gear Member

I have the Custom Autosound retro radio with USB and AUX input. Some say it's too expensive for what it is but it works for me and I like the way it looks in my dashboard.

I mostly use an iPod but the USB thumbdrive functionality works great too. If you have bootloads of music on a stick navigating tracks isn't great I have to admit.
Old 06-04-2010, 02:23 PM
FoMoJoe
2nd Gear Member

My buddy wired his ipod straight to the amp in his 65 riviera and used speaker wire to some 6x9's he mounted under the dash and behind the seat. This way everything was stock, hidden and removable.
Old 06-04-2010, 10:26 PM
66$tang

This is What i did it works out really well plays dvds and has a flash drive place that will take ipods as well.

Old 06-04-2010, 10:27 PM
jimmy428
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by tx65coupe
I would say since your dash is not cut get one of the retro radios that looks like the OE one but has modern electronics for the digital tuner and CD changer / I pod controls.

I do not like the glove box mounted radios, because you can not reach or see them. I think they are a safety issue, because you can't really mess with them while driving.

Also, for the rest of the stereo, I suggest going with speakers and grilles etc that look stock.

There are a few different speakers that replace the factory AM dash speaker with 2 small speakers. I had the traditional one, and it was ok. I now have the deluxe 2 channel one and it is better. I have not heard it, but many say the dual voice coil single speaker is the best.

I also used a pair of 6x9 speakers in the rear with the factory type speaker cover grilles so it looks factory.

Here is mine. I used to have the grilles that came with the speakers. This looks so much better.

hey where did you find those original grilles? I would love to buy them for my car. I've been trying to get speaker grilles that look factory because every other ones look out of place. thanks.
Old 06-05-2010, 05:31 PM
Art Brock
2nd Gear Member

I read to many bad reviews of the dash mounted radios so I went the glove box route.
Built a plate to hold receiver/CD in glovebox.
Ran a cord under the carpet so I can plug in a MP3 player also.
Use a remote control (most remotes need to "see" the receiver so I had to get a IR receiver & transmitter. Receiver is little tiny thing mounted bottom edge of dash & other end goes in front of receiver. Works great).

link to my gallery for pics:
https://mustangforums.com/forum/memb...966-coupe.html
Old 06-05-2010, 10:05 PM
JamesW

Unless you're trying to keep a concours show car, why bother keeping the original radio or messing with those POS Custom Autosound units. I've had two and they both had no power output and the radio reception was LOUSY.

Skip the glove box and just cut the dash and install a nice DIN Pioneer unit with USB and IPod controls.
Old 06-06-2010, 06:59 AM
Art Brock
2nd Gear Member

I think JamesW is probably right. Unless it's a rare or collectible car, cutting a NEAT hole in the dash doesn't really matter.
Mines in the glovebox, but I want one of those AC systems that use a new larger heater box & those take up about half of the glovebox depth. So I am seriously thinking about moving the radio to the dash & getting the AC.
Old 06-06-2010, 10:02 AM
Jedro

I wouldn't cut the dash, regardless of whether your car is a show car or not. I'm thinking for resale purposes, you never know what a prospective buyer might be wanting. Let the next guy cut the dash if he wants.

If you have a console, mount it under the dash somewhere, there is pelnty of room. Glove box is no good - you gotta be able to control your stereo, unless you ride around with the glove box open and use a remote.

Kenwood. I have two and they're great.
Old 06-06-2010, 12:02 PM
xswoopr
1st Gear Member

If you are going to keep and drive your car indefinitely, then the simple answer is get creative and make it the way you want it. If you can do it without radical modifications, all the better. You just have to decide if you're doing this for yourself or for resale.

Quick Reply: stereo question