Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Which is better? MSD or Accel?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 07:31 PM
Mustang Sally 65

Default Which is better? MSD or Accel?

I have a question for you guys? I wanna put in a new distributor into my 1965 Ford Mustang with a 302. I have been asking around the car shows about which is better? My son has recommended the MSD Distributor with the 6AL box, But others have said that the MSD boxes break down a lot and that I should use an Accel distributor. What do you guys think? I want the power, but nothing like professional racing. Just street performance. Any ideas??

Mustang Sally 65
Old 08-02-2010, 07:34 PM
F15Falcon
1st Gear Member

If you want performance with reliability, install the MSD 6 series ignition, triggered by your stock points distributor. In case the box ever goes bad, simply switch a couple of wires and get home on points alone. I have several Ford powered vehicles set up the same way with great results.
Old 08-02-2010, 07:36 PM
nba1341
4th Gear Member

Pertronix tbh
Old 08-02-2010, 08:00 PM
Gun Jam

I have been running the msd dizzy and the A6 for the last 7 years daily driven no problems.
Old 08-02-2010, 08:41 PM
mr_velocity
4th Gear Member

I've been running MSD boxes in our offshore boats for 15 years. Lots of pounding and vibration. I only ever lost 1 box just after we fixed a loose battery connection.

Last edited by mr_velocity; 08-02-2010 at 08:41 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-02-2010, 08:42 PM
JMD
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by F15Falcon
If you want performance with reliability, install the MSD 6 series ignition, triggered by your stock points distributor. In case the box ever goes bad, simply switch a couple of wires and get home on points alone. I have several Ford powered vehicles set up the same way with great results.
I hadn't thought of that before, but yea, I imagine a set of points would last a long damn time when used to trigger an electronic ignition.

I like it.......

I am going to have to try that now. I guess the MSD 6 has a way to wire it up this way built in?
Old 08-02-2010, 09:53 PM
F15Falcon
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by JMD
I hadn't thought of that before, but yea, I imagine a set of points would last a long damn time when used to trigger an electronic ignition.

I like it.......

I am going to have to try that now. I guess the MSD 6 has a way to wire it up this way built in?
You use the white wire in the MSD harness to hook up to the points, and yes, the points will last forever as there is milliamps of voltage going across them.
Old 08-03-2010, 01:18 AM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

I have a Pertronix distributor and an really happy with it.
Old 08-03-2010, 03:42 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by tx65coupe
I have a Pertronix distributor and an really happy with it.
nothing stopping you to add a box to that (rev limiting, multispark etc). not really needed on a street driven engine.i like mine ... although i must say i was disappointed wiuth crane distributor not matching crane box. have to change that at some stage. Hav e a crane distributor in the shelf that I can't currently use
Old 08-03-2010, 04:51 PM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by kalli
nothing stopping you to add a box to that (rev limiting, multispark etc). not really needed on a street driven engine.i like mine ... although i must say i was disappointed wiuth crane distributor not matching crane box. have to change that at some stage. Hav e a crane distributor in the shelf that I can't currently use

I remember that issue you had with the Crane components matching up. That blows.

Yeah, I probably won't be adding a box. I don't really see a need to. Never say never though right?

Quick Reply: Which is better? MSD or Accel?