Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

1967 289 Low Idle

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 11:10 AM
MustangFTW

*edit

im guessing i just made a stupid mistake your pic showed the carb from the bottom, my carb still works ad the car runs so i didnt need to take it out to do anything so im guessing it will be 2 barrel.

Old 08-23-2010, 12:08 PM
Jonk67
3rd Gear Member

That's the standard 2bbl. that came on 'C' code 289's, got one in my parts cabinet. Easy way to make sure the choke is working properly is to check the choke flap when it's cold = it should be closed. In your pic the flap is open as it should appear when the engine is warm.
Jon
Old 08-23-2010, 03:14 PM
MustangFTW

thats a problem i havent had it on for more then 2 mins since last night i took this pic this morning......what would keep it open like that when its ice cold?

Old 08-24-2010, 12:03 AM
Jonk67
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by MustangFTW
thats a problem i havent had it on for more then 2 mins since last night i took this pic this morning......what would keep it open like that when its ice cold?
Well.....putting stock in this statement would > "im pretty sure its not the choke since the last owner supposedly had it fixed up."

Any repair claimed to have been done by the PO is just that a claim and usually the first place you need to look to fix a problem. I would guess that he may have gotten the choke to move, meaning that you could close the flap with your finger or replaced the old choke heat tube but not have it adjusted properly.

See the black cap on the right side (passengers side) of the carb., that is the choke cap, there is a spring inside of it. When the engine heats up it sends hot air up that heat tube which warms the spring causing it to unwind and open the flap. Originally the caps were riveted on in 3 places (factory set), most times over the years a PO has drilled those out and replaced them with screws so you can loosen them and turn the cap.

If I remember right turning the cap clockwise should close the choke flap. You can give it a try, you may want to spray the carb linkage/flap linkage down with carb. spray first and a couple well placed shots of WD-40 to make sure the linkage moves freely. Turn the cap ~1/4 turn clockwise and see if the flap closes. You could move it slightly either way and you should see a reaction from the flap, turn it until the flap closes just barely. That should be your cold choke setting. Recheck when the engine is warm and see that the choke has opened fully, if not adjust back a little until it's open fully hot. It may take a couple minor adjustment and you can make marks with tape on the cap/housing to track where you were at each end of the spectrum.

This is assuming that the inside of the choke is not rusted solid, there is a little piston that the choke spring pushes up/down that may need some WD-40 also. You would need to take the choke cap off to do this, just mark it first so it goes back on in the same orientation.

Good luck and someone else may be able to give a simpler version or correct me. I really suggest getting a shop manual for your year, <$50 at any mustang supplier and well worth it for reference.
Jon
Old 08-24-2010, 12:41 PM
MustangFTW

Nice answer! just what ive been looking for, ill try that and get back to you.