Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

TCI IFS, 65 Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 07:19 AM
JMD
6th Gear Member

I can't say much about the Mustang kit, I have never seen one, but as far as my TCI frame goes, there is virtually no resemblance to a MII, and it all lines up...

Old 11-16-2010, 09:37 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by femurphy77
I'm not interested in any of the kits that converts the stock front end to coilovers as part of my build includes removing the inner fenders.
CP allows quite a bit of chassis structure modification before you get into an "in excess" situation that buys you a weight penalty. You shouldn't have to retain the original sheetmetal in order to put a C/O chassis side pickup in more or less the same place, and you're going to have to add some structure there anyway.

I'm pretty sure that the TCI stuff has been evaluated elsewhere. I'll see what I can find.

But looking at the 2008 Solo Nationals results, the top Z06 (in SS) was running in the same second as the winning CP time, on R-comps vs real slicks, which might suggest a C5-based design.

Norm
Old 11-16-2010, 11:03 AM
FBConvert

If you are feeling a little adventurous I would say go with the corvette C4 suspension swap. I wish I had some actual drive time on my suspension but I can at least say something about the fabrication side. The front end literally drops in between the frame rails. I used alignment tools to get my camber angle right but really just squaring it up in the frame should get you within a few degrees and then the alignment shop will get you the rest. for less than 1k you could have big breaks, aluminum control, arms power rack, etc. Then spend the money you saved from buying a 2k plus M-II kit and put some coilovers in if you really want (i am choosing to keep the stock spring).

https://mustangforums.com/forum/clas...mustang-4.html

But I agree with 67mustang302

Before you start modding stuff, get the rule book for the class you're planning on racing in to make sure of allowed modifications. Otherwise you'll waste a ton of money.
and if you don't want to do a lot of modding this wouldn't be a bad rout.

Cheapest route is boxed stock front components with proper race springs/shocks.
There are a lot of power rack steering assemblies you can buy too that are bolt in but they are pricey usually in the 1k plus rang.
Old 11-16-2010, 12:33 PM
femurphy77

A negative side to the C4/5 install that I have been told by people that race them is that the front hubs tend to go away relatively quickly in any class where big slicks are used. To the tune of one set of hubs per season. The last time I replaced hubs on the C4 I used to have they were around $165 each. There is supposed to be a kit that allows you to replace wheel bearings instead of the whole hub and it is in the $800 range.

Unfortunately there is no silver bullet; all possible solutions will have drawbacks if you look deep enough. Thank Al Gore for the internet, it helps to confuse the issue even more! But keep those cards and letters coming this is all good input.

I'm hoping to stop at MustangOnes shop in Oklahoma the next time I'm down that way and crossing my fingers that he has a TCI install in progress so I can see and assess in person.

FBconvert, can't wait to see your completed install. I haven't been able to access your photos you posted in response to a couple of my questions. Seems my work computer and home computer both have an attitude about those particular photos.
Old 11-16-2010, 01:37 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Keep in mind that there are several big advantages to staying with stock type configurations. Like we mentioned, cost is the big one. But the other is that there are MANY people who race on stock type setups, and places like Cobra Automotive, Opentracker etc who have a TON of experience with it. Multiple KNOWN configurations, so there's a ton of low cost parts AND KNOWLEDGE of those configurations. It makes it much easier to set a chassis up, since there's a lot less groping around in the dark trying to get everything working right.

And I don't know how good of a driver you are, but most people are WAY better off spending less money on suspension and taking the $$$ saved and using it for performance driving lessons, since most people actually do NOT know how to drive through a turn(even though they think they do). No offense meant, just being realistic. If you look at the fastest guys out there around tracks in their class, most of the top guys are running simpler setups but are good drivers. Amazing suspension packages are nice and all, but they're no replacement for good driving and good tires.

And think of it this way too, it takes you a wile to feel your car out and run it to the limits. It's like guys that go out and buy 1,300cc Suzuki Hyabusas only to get absolutely stomped buy some guy on a 660cc bike. The slower bike has a faster rider. And often the guy on the 660, once he learns to ride that bike to it's limits, realizes he doesn't need anything faster. So too with a car. Spend the least amount of money on a setup, and invest in driving skill....learn to drive the car to it's absolute limits. Once you get to a point where you can drive the wheels off your car, you may find you are as fast or faster than the top guys in your class(at which point you ARE one of the top guys). You'll have saved a ton of money that you can invest elsewhere....brakes, tires etc.