Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Keyless Entry

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 11:44 AM
Iskwezm
4th Gear Member

alarms are useless over here.I cant even count how many times ive seen a car driving off with the lights flashing and the horn and people do nothing about it.Or walk through a parking lot and hear a alarm.People are numb to it now.The pager is nice to let you know your car is being messed with, but we had a friend that went to check on his car because the pager went off and wound up getting shot.

I have installed a few of remote starts on carb'd cars and you have to increase the crank time and the carb has to be set up correctly.You could also add a solenoid to the linkage to prime the carb, but then it gets messy and really not worth it.My Viper alarm is more of a novelty that i can pop the doors or trunk or turn the cooling fan on or off.The alarm portion is just there.
Old 11-19-2010, 12:06 PM
zmetalmilitia
4th Gear Member

Cool. It's nice to have SOMETHING against someone just freely messing with your car. I'll have to seriously look into this. Nice find!
Old 11-19-2010, 02:03 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by tcrote5516
Just finishing off some final touches this winter. I picked up the new AudioVox 2-way alarm system/remote start. Its pretty nuts what these things can do and I really love the piece of mind that comes with a 2-way remote.
Convenience also has its costs, not all of which are financial. To some extent, you "buy into" a new set of concerns.

Obviously remote lock/unlock/trunk pop.
This is the one feature that might justify the whole kit on a daily-use basis. No more little key scratches, and you won't be breaking the little metal tabs that cover the key slots in the lock cylinders to keep dirt and water out of the locks.

Auto lock when you get in the car and take off/auto unlock when you shut it down.
I'll lock the door(s) when I want them locked, thank you very much. This is not a decision I want some machine arbitrarily making for me.

Remote start of a 5 speed (cool factor in a 67')
This requires you to compromise where and how you park the car. Obviously, you must leave it in neutral, which robs you of some "hill holding" capability. If you set the system up to where you don't have to leave it in neutral, well, you have heard of the late model Mustang in Florida that went for a swim when the dealership guy didn't realize what he was dealing with, haven't you?

Inside temp of car displays in real time on the remote
I can't tell if this would ever be useful, or if it was done simply because somebody figured out that it could be done and had to go ahead and do it.

Microwave/vibration and proximity sensors (you can’t touch this....)
It'll probably chase the casual thieves and joyriders away, anyway.

Headlight courtesy (stays on at night after you leave the car)
I suppose this one is OK. But since newer cars have much higher-output alternators it's easy enough for them to cover for this mod. Is a larger alternator on your to-do list yet?

Control the windows via remote (up and down)
Wait until you inadvertently lower a window . . . and then it rains.

Norm
Old 11-19-2010, 05:58 PM
nba1341
4th Gear Member

Why even bring the negative into the thread?
If you don't like it, and are not interested in it, why even responst I'm kind of confused?

This system sounds awesome and I'm surprised the remote start works on a carbed car.
Old 11-19-2010, 07:08 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by nba1341
Why even bring the negative into the thread?
If you don't like it, and are not interested in it, why even responst I'm kind of confused?
The point is to get people to think critically instead of just getting all starry-eyed over "new technology".

By 'thinking critically', I don't particularly mean being critical of the system itself, just that you look at it with a mind that's free of the emotional "pull" that comes from sales pitches, flashy advertising, being "new and high-tech", or whatever other outside influences you can think of that get people to buy things.

Please re-read the second sentence in my previous post, the part where it reads "concerns".

I thought I was clear enough about the things I like about it. I will, for example, take the benefit of chasing an entry-level thief off rather than not, in case that one wasn't in-your-face clear.

I was being completely serious about the keyless part (3 of my 5 cars have this feature, and I use it consistently on all three). As a stand-alone system without the other frills, I'd seriously consider adding that to at least one of the cars that does not.

With respect to the things I'm less sold on, I gave reasons rather than just trashing the thing arbitrarily. You are free to disagree with any or all of my thoughts and offer any counterpoints (and I'm explicitly encouraging you to do so). Simply complaining about what I did post probably won't either make me change my mind or usefully help anybody else make up theirs.

FWIW, a couple of those concerns have been the subject of discussions both on this site and on at least one other. You're entitled to be aware of potential shortcomings in any product; this one is no different.

Edit to add that remote starting a carb'ed engine likely puts more drain on the battery than remote starting an EFI engine or starting a carb'ed engine the normal way, which also suggests the usefulness of a larger capacity alternator. If it was me, I'd go up a gauge or two on the starter and ground wires and go over all of the electrical contacts to ensure that there would be minimal contact resistance. That's not being negative. Just realistic.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 11-19-2010 at 07:16 PM.
Old 11-19-2010, 08:31 PM
tcrote5516
2nd Gear Member

WOW...this went in directions I didnt expect For the record this isnt "new" technology by any means. 2 way alarms have been on the market for years and I just never thought of it until I was shopping for a keyless entry system. For a few bucks more you get a great feature set.

I have a 110 amp chrome PowerMaster alt running 4 gauge cable with HID headlights and an Optima battery....I think I'm covered for 30 sec of headlight time

Ok here we go with the reasons I bought it for ME in order of importance. These may not apply to you*

1) Keyless Entry to protect that fresh paint from my stupidity.

2) I'm smitten with the 2 way remote. I dont want to put a NRA sticker on my car and I don't allways wear my gun belt..it pulls down my shorts. Dont take it too seriously..its just an alarm. In fact I'm not hooking up a siren to it at all, just the chirp. Car alarms do nothing, I agree, but ignition kills do. In fact, I've toyed with the idea of putting the siren INSIDE the car...may be more effective there.

3) The temp reading is actualy pretty cool IMO. Not only does it tell me how hot the car is getting, but I can kick on the blower by remote if I wish...again not a daily feature, but nice to cool down the vinyl seats on a hot day.

4) Just because I hook up the remote start doesn't mean I have to use it. Its just one more optional feature that may come in handy some day....like scaring the crap out of someone taking close up pictures (I know you guys know what I'm talking about...the guy running his own photoshoot on your car while your out with the wife getting ice cream) I am setting up a NSS (neutral safety switch) for obvious reasons.

BTW The auto door locks can be programmed (on or off) if you wish.

Thanks NBA1341 and Zmetal for not reading too far into this (LOVE BOTH your cars BTW).

Last edited by tcrote5516; 11-19-2010 at 08:39 PM.
Old 11-19-2010, 08:57 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

i hope you dont ever try to crank your car and have it left in gear
Old 11-19-2010, 09:07 PM
tcrote5516
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by rmodel65
i hope you dont ever try to crank your car and have it left in gear

Again...Neutral safety switch ahhhhemmm
Old 11-20-2010, 12:08 AM
Iskwezm
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson

Edit to add that remote starting a carb'ed engine likely puts more drain on the battery than remote starting an EFI engine or starting a carb'ed engine the normal way, which also suggests the usefulness of a larger capacity alternator. If it was me, I'd go up a gauge or two on the starter and ground wires and go over all of the electrical contacts to ensure that there would be minimal contact resistance. That's not being negative. Just realistic.

Norm
I have no clue how you came up with that logic. How does a remote start carb put more strain on a battery or need a bigger alternatoras opposed to being fuel injected? Have you installed these before or is this your opinion on what might be needed?
Old 11-20-2010, 12:49 AM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

Originally Posted by tcrote5516
Again...Neutral safety switch ahhhhemmm

i wouldnt count on that.... jmho

Quick Reply: Keyless Entry