Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Ordered my suspension parts

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 08:38 AM
mySAVIOReigns
3rd Gear Member

Default Ordered my suspension parts

Car is a 66 Coupe, with an inline 6.

Here's what I got:

(from CJ Pony)
Scott Drake Black Export Brace
2 Upper Control Arms
1" Front Sway Bar (poly frame bushings and end links)
2 Lower Control Arms
2 shock tower bumpers
KYB GR2 shocks

(from NPD)
480# 1" lowering coil springs

(from Mustangs Plus)
Coil Spring Rubber Insulators
4-1/2 leaf mid-eye Leaf Springs (with U-bolts, shackles, and hardware)

(and last, from John @ Opentracker)
2 Roller Bearing Spring Perches
UCA Drop template

What do ya'll think? I'm hoping this will be a good "daily driver" suspension setup. A little firm, but the GR2 shocks should prevent my teeth from being knocked out.

Last edited by mySAVIOReigns; 12-16-2010 at 08:40 AM.
Old 12-16-2010, 08:56 AM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

I don't think it'll be harsh at all. I have 560lb springs and Edelbrock shocks and my car rides a little firm. Yours should be a great cruiser car.
Old 12-16-2010, 09:39 AM
zmetalmilitia
4th Gear Member

Exciting times. Bet you can't wait to get all this stuff so you can start working on installing it!
Old 12-16-2010, 10:06 AM
mySAVIOReigns
3rd Gear Member

No kidding! Due to marriage, a house, etc., these are the first Mustang parts I've bought in over 2 years. Time to finally get her back on the road.

So after posting that, I went to place my order with Mustangs Plus. They wanted $75 just in shipping for the leaf springs. Ouch! We'll see if I can find them somewhere else, or an equivalent. Dallas Mustang is a short drive, but their higher prices pretty much eliminate the savings from shipping. Lol.
Old 12-16-2010, 12:46 PM
eZ
5th Gear Member

I think I would have gotten edel shocks instead of kyb. or are the gr2 different than gas adjust? Rest of it looks great. You should make some adjustable struts
Old 12-16-2010, 01:11 PM
mySAVIOReigns
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by eZ
I think I would have gotten edel shocks instead of kyb. or are the gr2 different than gas adjust? Rest of it looks great. You should make some adjustable struts
yea, I will be making Daze's adjustable strut rods. The GR2 are different than the Gas-a-justs...they are softer.
Old 12-16-2010, 01:24 PM
Gun Jam

I run the Gas adjust on 650 rate springs... I feel like pigs in clover but I guess im weird and yeah on some roads below 60 mph it can be kind of rough but I mostly drive on improved surfaces and its worked well for me.

-Gun
Old 12-16-2010, 09:30 PM
phutch11
1st Gear Member

You should consider a rear sway bar, even with those stiff rear springs. Mustangs understeer badly in stock form and with the parts you're planning to add, it'll probably understeer worse. The car needs more roll stiffness at the rear.

If it were me, I'd go with some stock rate rear springs arched to drop the car 1" and an adjustable 5/8" rear bar - like a Stam-Bar.

Then I'd spend all the rest of my money on some low profile, wide, sticky tires.

Good luck...
Old 12-16-2010, 10:05 PM
JamesW

That's almost identical to what I have on mine...except for the 1" sway bar. The one I got from Mustangs Plus rubbed against my strut rods..(both sides) and I took it out. keep an eye on it. I also went with the standard rear springs rather than the mid eyes. Even with new stock springs, my rear fenders sometimes drag my rear tires.

Old 12-16-2010, 10:40 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by phutch11
You should consider a rear sway bar, even with those stiff rear springs. Mustangs understeer badly in stock form and with the parts you're planning to add, it'll probably understeer worse. The car needs more roll stiffness at the rear.
Not true, once you factor in the Shelby drop. I run stiffer springs with only a front bar and I think it's perfect for street driving. Turn in is excellent and handling is improved so much that understeer isn't usually noticeable on the street. The only time I notice any rear roll stiffness issues is when I'm driving hard, hauling *** around county back roads well above speeds most people would consider safe.

In any case, a little understeer is better for street driving than oversteer. That's why all cars are designed to understeer a little. Correcting for understeer is easy; let off the gas, which is second nature in a panic situation. Correcting for oversteer requires a much more skilled driver response, and is not something that comes naturally to people when their car suddenly goes sideways around a corner.

Last edited by Starfury; 12-16-2010 at 10:42 PM.

Quick Reply: Ordered my suspension parts