Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Ordered my suspension parts

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 11:43 PM
phutch11
1st Gear Member

Not true, once you factor in the Shelby drop.
While I would completly agree that the Shelby drop will add traction to the front end of a Mustang by improving the camber curve of the front suspension and keeping more of the outside front tire in contact with the road; it by no means solves the tendancy of a classic Mustang to oversteer.

In any case, a little understeer is better for street driving than oversteer. That's why all cars are designed to understeer a little. Correcting for understeer is easy; let off the gas, which is second nature in a panic situation. Correcting for oversteer requires a much more skilled driver response, and is not something that comes naturally to people when their car suddenly goes sideways around a corner.
Agreed. But IMHO what's even better is a car that handles neutrally. It WILL corner harded that a car that over/understeers and this should keep most drivers out of situations where they have to worry about correcting for a lack of control due to either.

There are a variety of ways to get an old Mustang to handle neutrally, but really stiff rear springs or a rear sway bar are the most common. I advocate a rear bar because in the words of a master:

"All stiffer springs do is make a car have a stiff ride. The have no capability to make a significant improvement in handling." -- Herb Adams, Chassis Engineering.

Just my two cents...
Old 12-18-2010, 12:49 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

The Shelby drop isn't meant to singularly solve understeer, but it does significantly reduce the tendency. And while classic mustangs, like almost any other production car, do understeer, they're also prone to throttle oversteer because of a very light back end. Making the car handle neutrally will make that throttle oversteer much more prominent.
Old 12-18-2010, 11:28 PM
MonsterBilly
4th Gear Member

I have virtually the same set up. it is great. it is a very nice ride.

try Laurel Mountain Mustang i bet you will find the best price on the rear springs as well as the shipping. that is what i did and they are great to deal with
Old 12-19-2010, 03:02 PM
mySAVIOReigns
3rd Gear Member

Thanks for the tip MonsterBilly. I checked there but they only had 4-leaf and 5-leaf. I also called Mustangs Plus and asked them about the shipping. Basically:

The shipping cost for just the springs was $41 (plus the $15 box fee). The shipping cost for the springs, shackles, and U-bolts was $59. I told him that was crazy, there's no way the additional weight would cost $18 more, and they could use the same box, lol. He agreed and said he'd have the shipping guys call me on Monday...so we'll see.
Old 12-19-2010, 06:49 PM
MonsterBilly
4th Gear Member

call laurel mountain. i bought me 4.5 mid eye leafs from them. i recieved them 7 days. they were on back order otherwise i was told i should have recieved them in 3 days
Old 12-21-2010, 08:10 PM
mickman
1st Gear Member

CJ Pony Parts has free shipping these days on everything, I believe, I would check to see if they have your springs in stock.
Old 12-21-2010, 08:35 PM
5'Oclocksomewhere
1st Gear Member

Let us know how you like this setup, my buddy is planning something very similar.
Old 12-21-2010, 11:11 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

I actually have the M+ 4.5 leaf springs. While I like them, the main reason I got them is because I'm from Stockton and had a chance to pick them up when I was there. $50 shipping is killer. If you can get them for less shipping from Laurel Mountain, go for it.
Old 12-22-2010, 09:45 AM
mySAVIOReigns
3rd Gear Member

What I actually ended up doing worked out quite well. First, I called M+ and asked them how it was $59 to ship the leafs, shackles, and U-bolts, and only $41 to ship just the leafs. M+ agreed that was odd, called me back, and said it would actually be $65. What the!? So with the box charge, that came out to $80.00 shipping...no thanks.

Instead, I ordered the shackles and U-bolts from CJ Pony (free shipping) and called Dallas Mustang to get the leaves. I despise them and their high prices and shipping, but I had a 10% off coupon, and will drive up there and pick them up. All told, for the leaf springs, shackles, and U-bolts it cost $244.55.
Old 12-22-2010, 10:19 AM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mySAVIOReigns
What I actually ended up doing worked out quite well. First, I called M+ and asked them how it was $59 to ship the leafs, shackles, and U-bolts, and only $41 to ship just the leafs. M+ agreed that was odd, called me back, and said it would actually be $65. What the!? So with the box charge, that came out to $80.00 shipping...no thanks.

Instead, I ordered the shackles and U-bolts from CJ Pony (free shipping) and called Dallas Mustang to get the leaves. I despise them and their high prices and shipping, but I had a 10% off coupon, and will drive up there and pick them up. All told, for the leaf springs, shackles, and U-bolts it cost $244.55.
Betcha Jane at Glazier/Nolan could beat that.

Quick Reply: Ordered my suspension parts