Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Howdy! New 2 forum and needs help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 11:55 PM
Gun Jam

I had points and converted to the MSD system which is about the same idea.. There really is no noticeable performance increase not much fuel wise either. If you want an electronic ignition get it for reliability only If you get into electronic ignition system thinking its going to make a big performance increase (assuming your points are even halfway decent) you'll be sadly disappointed after spending the 500 bucks. I cant speak for the pertronix system but my MSD system daily driven for 8 years has required the following replacement parts: 1x rotor 1x cap

Thats it, it never misses a beat

-Gun
Old 01-11-2011, 07:43 PM
Tilley
2nd Gear Member

bump!
Old 01-11-2011, 08:33 PM
Gun Jam

If you want another fee bump

I suggest you start by finding the actual problem ... It was suggested that you have the wrong distributor on the engine. You should find a timing light and start by getting some timing numbers maybe its not hardly advancing the timing at all due to the carb setup.

it was also suggested that the advance diaphragm was bad again timing light to the rescue.

it was suggested that the old carb could alone be the issue maybe it has poor needle seats and bleeds all the time despite float level...does timing check out? maybe a new carb as suggested or a rebuild is in order instead of a dizzy

you've got to start testing stuff and getting some real data no amount of advice is going to find a problem let alone fix something if its not implemented.

you've got to get some type of idea of the problem before you decide what to spend the money on

happy hunting

-Gun

Last edited by Gun Jam; 01-11-2011 at 08:42 PM.
Old 01-11-2011, 09:05 PM
Tilley
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Gun Jam
-Gun
Thanks. My final question was for an opinion regarding swapping out electronic ignition for points. I don't mean to try anyone's patience.
Old 01-11-2011, 09:44 PM
Gun Jam

I dont think you're trying anyone's patience its just that there have been quite a few good suggestions given most are simple and it would be unfortunate to not investigate them.

You could spend 600 on a new ignition system and the car will run just as crappy as before if its a fuel delivery issue.

The best case scenario would be you find the issue and fix the problem then decide if you want a new carb or dizzy.

The most likely positive scenario is you isolate the problem child for example the carb and decide to replace the entire carb rather than fix it.

Both of the above are great outcomes what is not great is throwing big money at replacing stuff that is working fine while the main issue goes untreated.

-Gun

Last edited by Gun Jam; 01-11-2011 at 09:51 PM.
Old 01-12-2011, 06:03 AM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Tilley
Given the issue of a duel vacuum distributor with an Autolite 1100 carb, would anyone suggest a Petronix I electronic ignition to help performance and gas mileage?

Pertronix II better for a I6 200 cu inch motor?
I would get the correct distributor and go with a Pertronix Ignitor I that just replaces the points. This shouldn't cost more than a couple hundred dollars.

Last edited by tx65coupe; 01-12-2011 at 06:06 AM.
Old 01-12-2011, 06:04 AM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Gun Jam

I suggest you start by finding the actual problem ... It was suggested that you have the wrong distributor on the engine. You should find a timing light and start by getting some timing numbers maybe its not hardly advancing the timing at all due to the carb setup.

it was also suggested that the advance diaphragm was bad again timing light to the rescue.

it was suggested that the old carb could alone be the issue maybe it has poor needle seats and bleeds all the time despite float level...does timing check out? maybe a new carb as suggested or a rebuild is in order instead of a dizzy

you've got to start testing stuff and getting some real data no amount of advice is going to find a problem let alone fix something if its not implemented.

you've got to get some type of idea of the problem before you decide what to spend the money on

happy hunting

-Gun
The issue with the needle and seat was what we had a tough time with until we got the brand new carb.