Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

MustangFTW 67 resto thread.

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 02:51 PM
MustangFTW

Your right its front driver, seems like someone really "Jacked" it up lol.

These easy to replace? found some for 145$ what do the frame rails do exactly?
were these kept on by welds or bolts?

@marc
Thanks!

Old 02-15-2011, 04:50 PM
hightower2011
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MustangFTW
Your right its front driver, seems like someone really "Jacked" it up lol.

These easy to replace? found some for 145$ what do the frame rails do exactly?
were these kept on by welds or bolts?

@marc
Thanks!
The frame rails hold the car together since there is no suspension frame. Yours are badly damaged, and in need of repair. They are welded into the floor pans. It appears that yours have torn free of the floor pans, probably due to stress from being used as a jack point. I'm not sure if thats the driver or passenger side, but cutting out the floor would reveal them, like so:

Driver side:

Passenger side:
Old 02-15-2011, 05:32 PM
MustangFTW

wow, sounds like i should get it fixed right away.

could i replace these without removing floor pans?

Old 02-15-2011, 06:50 PM
hightower2011
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MustangFTW
wow, sounds like i should get it fixed right away.

could i replace these without removing floor pans?
Are you planning on doing it yourself? You'll need to know how to weld.
And I'm pretty sure you'll need and want to take the floor pan out, or at least cut out a big enough chunk. The frame right there is typically attach by welding through the floor pan, and as you can see that would work cause it's bent badly. Also, opening up a whole will give you a look into the frame rail, a good chance to treat any rust you might find.

This will probably end up being a costly repair if a shop does it, unfortunately.
Old 02-15-2011, 07:34 PM
NoReins
3rd Gear Member

Eeeeeek just pretend it's not there! Looks like you'll need to learn how to weld, cut and grind. Can you give us a couple pics of the floor pan? The frame rails are a VERY important piece of the car - they must be strong to maintain the structure and strength of the car. It looks like they need some major attention.
Old 02-15-2011, 07:54 PM
hightower2011
4th Gear Member

Oh and by the way, unless the damage is further than the picture shows, it looks like all you need is a "Inner Floor Frame Rail". Not an entire frame rail. As opposed to $145, the inner floor frame rails are only about $30 each, so there's a chance to save money big time. Make sure that's all you need though, it'll be a waste to undershoot the problem and have to start over down the road...
As NoReins said, this could be a good chance to gain some experience on welding, grinding, etc. If you don't know how to do that at least. I didn't either, it's a cool learning process and skill to have!
Old 02-16-2011, 06:30 AM
MustangFTW

ill get some pics up later today, lets say i cut off the really messed up part of it and welded a new piece to take its place is that stable enough?
in other words, ill take off the part thats been ripped off the pan with a grinder then weld a section of the new one into place.

Old 02-16-2011, 07:37 AM
hightower2011
4th Gear Member

Yes, as long as you get rid of all the bad metal, you'll be good.
Old 02-16-2011, 09:06 AM
MustangFTW

do you guys think its worth buying a MIG welder for 120$ or rent a Arc welder for 40$ for 4 hours?

Old 02-16-2011, 10:01 AM
hightower2011
4th Gear Member

Definitely get the Mig welder for $140. You can do all sorts of things with a Mig Welder. You never know when you might need it in the future.
$40 for 4 hours sounds good at first, but what if the next day you see you missed something? There's another $40...

Quick Reply: MustangFTW 67 resto thread.