Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Big Brakes for a 67?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 08:35 PM
BillJC

Default Big Brakes for a 67?

I'm in the process of reviving a project that has been sitting for a while now. A 67 coupe. I had previously updated the front brakes with now SSBC KH calipers but, now, it has taken a different rout. I'm looking for bigger more modern brakes. Something with a 13"x1.25" rotor is what I am looking for. TCP has a nice Wilwood kit with w 13x1.1" rotor with the Forged Superlite calipers. I have the same calipers on my wrx. The pad prices are ridiculously low which makes that setup appealing. So, are there any other track oriented cars out there with upgraded brakes? If so, what are your setups for the front?
Old 02-05-2011, 09:12 PM
drewsky
3rd Gear Member

BAER Brakes i have on my 67. 13'' front. best available brakes in my opinion. you can assemble and disassemble them without taking apart the whole system. i think i paid 1300 for the front kit, comes with evrything needed.
Old 02-05-2011, 09:30 PM
jgemperline
1st Gear Member

Have you looked at the cobra set up? I think their something you may like.
Old 02-05-2011, 09:44 PM
BillJC

The Baer kit that I'm familiar with uses PBR calipers. I'm trying to not use those because of the pad costs for race pads. Something along the lines of a Stoptech, Wilwood, AP Racing or Alcon caliper. More than likely, I'm probably going to have to put something custom together.
Old 02-05-2011, 10:24 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

The Cobra brake conversion is a common one. Another option is Street or Track's vintage legal disc brakes, derived from vintage trans-am setups. I want one
Old 02-05-2011, 11:38 PM
001mustang
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Starfury
The Cobra brake conversion is a common one. Another option is Street or Track's vintage legal disc brakes, derived from vintage trans-am setups. I want one
I'm happy w/ oem mustang 4 piston KH.

If I had a lead brake foot I would pick street or track trans-am brakes.

Guess I have a soft spot for retro.
Old 02-05-2011, 11:38 PM
valley firearms
5th Gear Member

I purchased the drilled/slotted four wheel disk brake kit with the 13" fronts. They are the SN95 brakes. I purchased these from Vintagevenom.com . Great customer service too.

http://www.vintagevenom.com/disc-bra...-order-now.htm
Old 02-06-2011, 01:29 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

The cobra brakes and baers cheapest kit are the same besides the logos on them.Both are pbr calipers and same size rotors.The cobra brakes are a nice step up i had them for a year.But now i have wilwoods front and back.The wilwoods grab better once they get hot but in normal daily driving the cobra brakes worked better.
Old 02-06-2011, 01:49 AM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

You don't need big brakes, you need good brakes with good pads. I'm running Wilwoods on mine up front, 11.75 X .810 flat face vented rotors with 4 piston Dynalites and E pads.
The rotor/caliper setup I have is commonly used on unlimited asphalt circle track in the amateur race series.

My brakes will outperform 95% of larger brake setups because that's what it's designed to do. The rotors would need to be glowing bright yellow before the pads and rotors started to approach their failure points.

You don't have to spend a bunch of money to get phenomenal braking capability. Most brake kits out there are more show than anything.
Old 02-06-2011, 03:44 AM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

I agree. Just for reference, Street or Track's trans am brake kit came about because one of their customers was having some slight fade issues with the factory '67 KH brakes while vintage racing his car. You'd probably never notice on the street. Hell, I've never been able to fade my KH brakes, and I drive my car hard sometimes.

Quick Reply: Big Brakes for a 67?