Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Hello guys Im new to this forum. I want to buy a 67-68 Fastback

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 02:31 PM
001mustang
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by hightower2011
DAMMIT!!! You're on to me!!!!!!

ok...now i'll know whos driving that winged mustang w/ a Ga bell next time i pass through.
Old 02-10-2011, 02:54 PM
1971mach1
2nd Gear Member

If I were you, with $30K, I'd buy a new 2011 v6 Mustang. The new v6s have 300hp
and are great on gas, they get 30mpg! Plus you would still have $10K in your pocket for college money.
These old cars really suck gas (you'll be lucky to get 15-18mpg) and they are unreliable compared to a new car (plus it has a warantee). The new v6 cars are faster than most of the old v8 cars too.
Old 02-10-2011, 03:04 PM
001mustang
3rd Gear Member

but...if he did that...he'd hafta switch forums....
Old 02-10-2011, 03:08 PM
001mustang
3rd Gear Member

true new is more reliable...but...i'd rather maintain a classic mustang than a 10-20 year old car any day....what a pain to work on "pre-owned" cars.
Old 02-10-2011, 03:19 PM
1971mach1
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 001mustang
true new is more reliable...but...i'd rather maintain a classic mustang than a 10-20 year old car any day....what a pain to work on "pre-owned" cars.
Who said anything about "pre-owned"?? New 2011 v6 Mustangs are about $20K. Then spend all that extra time in college, instead of repairing that 40 year old car.
Old 02-10-2011, 03:42 PM
nassaubayman
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 1971mach1
Who said anything about "pre-owned"?? New 2011 v6 Mustangs are about $20K. Then spend all that extra time in college, instead of repairing that 40 year old car.
Blasphemy!!
Old 02-10-2011, 04:23 PM
racer_dave
3rd Gear Member

PLEASE! Don't be scared about this. Just go about it logically

1- Buy a good solid base car that you can drive.
2- Fix it up from there with small things that you can learn
3- So you don't have the knowledge to do the whole Eleanor thing now? No problem...what if you learn on it over the next few years and @ 22 you can do it right?

I learned and taught myself, dad wasn't around. I taught myself bodywork, engines, welding etc... and you're in a better start place. I started on a 72 pinto and $300.

So don't be scared about it, just get started, but do it in a smart way. Find the local car club, find a guy who needs help and volunteer, you'll learn as you go and you'll make contacts for guys that can help you. It doesn't even have to be a mustang club if there isn't one close by, but they'll be more help for your specific car.

Just be smart, don't buy something until you know you need it. Make a budget. Don't take on too big a project, you'll be better of if you start with a better car than one that needs a complete makeover.

Go for it.
Old 02-10-2011, 04:55 PM
NoReins
3rd Gear Member

I have a question for everyone. Have you actually seen an Eleanor in person? I'm seriously asking... because the first Eleanor I saw in person was when we went out to Indiana to get our body kit. And it wasn't until that moment, when I realized I had never seen one...

If you put it into perspective, there really aren't that many Eleanor's out there. It may sound hypocritical but I appreciate originality, maybe with a slight purism. However, when I watched the movie for the first time, I immediately fell head over heals and knew that that is what I wanted in my garage. It's a good thing we still live in a country that allows everyone to have his or her opinion and do what they want to their car. Well, for now atleast...
Old 02-10-2011, 05:07 PM
1slow67
ROTM Moderator

Originally Posted by NoReins
I have a question for everyone. Have you actually seen an Eleanor in person? I'm seriously asking... because the first Eleanor I saw in person was when we went out to Indiana to get our body kit. And it wasn't until that moment, when I realized I had never seen one...

If you put it into perspective, there really aren't that many Eleanor's out there. It may sound hypocritical but I appreciate originality, maybe with a slight purism. However, when I watched the movie for the first time, I immediately fell head over heals and knew that that is what I wanted in my garage. It's a good thing we still live in a country that allows everyone to have his or her opinion and do what they want to their car. Well, for now atleast...
I have been in a car show with a recreation of the new Eleanor. I however did not go near it the whole show because I don't like them.
Old 02-10-2011, 05:10 PM
NoReins
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by BA Mustang
I have been in a car show with a recreation of the new Eleanor. I however did not go near it the whole show because I don't like them.
What's a "new" Eleanor?

Quick Reply: Hello guys Im new to this forum. I want to buy a 67-68 Fastback