Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Help: Alternator

Old 02-20-2011, 04:41 AM
guitarman376
3rd Gear Member

Default Help: Alternator

Well I believe I need to replace my alternator. My car started for work today, started fine when leaving work. Went to the 76 to fill 'er up, car didn't start. Called a neighbor for a jump, and the car started right up. I have had a feeling it has needed replacing for awhile. I know I am going with a stock type, but I have some questions:
1) Besides price, does it matter which site I buy it from? (mustangsplus, mustangsunlimited, etc) Which site would you guys recommend?
2) Is there anything I need to know about the installation of the new one? I haven't replaced an alternator before.
3)Are there any parts I should also replace while doing this?

Car just struck 94,000 miles with the original alternator, and the battery is not old.
Old 02-20-2011, 07:24 AM
musnicki
3rd Gear Member

Your car probably has a generator on it with three wires. Two of those wires goto a voltage regulator which is mounted somewhere on your car. Mine was left or right of the radiator, I forget. You're most likely going to purchase a new one wire 130amp alternator. those will have the voltage regulator built inside. Mine charges at 1200 rpm, but it has a smaller pulley so it probably charges at like 800 rpm from the engine and 1200 to the alternator. Smarter guys on this site can tell you more about that.

Check your belts as well. You could just have a dry rotted belt, rub the belt between your hands and see if black material comes off into your hand. That would mean that it's dry rotted. It could also just be loose. When you start your car, check for a high pitch squeel sound comming from the front of the car. Could be your loose belt.

Also, hook up a volt meter to your generator to see if it's putting out at least 12-14 volts.

I've inclueded a diagram for you (originally posted for me 5 years ago when I changed mine out)

Old 02-20-2011, 07:28 AM
musnicki
3rd Gear Member

Ooops, your questions.

1. I bought mine from Advanced Auto. I got a sweet chrome 130 amp alternator. You can try the Mustang only parts places if you want an era correct generator. I think they only put out 30-40 amps though. I knew that I was going to be doing some upgrades on my radio, alarm and some other electrical devices that I needed some more push.

2. I've included a sweet diagram for you, should have everything that you need to know.

3. If you're going to go a nice chrome alternator, then get the chrome mounting brackets for it as well. While it's out, get a new belt too.

James
Old 02-20-2011, 08:36 AM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Well I believe I need to replace my alternator. My car started for work today, started fine when leaving work. Went to the 76 to fill 'er up, car didn't start. Called a neighbor for a jump, and the car started right up. I have had a feeling it has needed replacing for awhile. I know I am going with a stock type, but I have some questions:
1) Besides price, does it matter which site I buy it from? (mustangsplus, mustangsunlimited, etc) Which site would you guys recommend?
I usually recommend Glazier/Nolan. They use what they sell, so they avoid crummy parts, even if the price sounds good. You can get alternators OTC locally, though. Just make sure it carries a good warranty.

2) Is there anything I need to know about the installation of the new one? I haven't replaced an alternator before.
Nahh. Dead easy. If you can change a tire, you can do this. It pretty much requires an air wrench to R&R the pulley, though. One minute with an air wrench, an all-day b*tch without one. Make sure you connect the new one exactly like the old. Most of the terminals are different sizes, so this is easy. If your old one is orignal, don't give it back, vanishing into the "rebuild" world, because they are different and desirable, even as cores. Your best bet is to have yours redone, but that'll cost more.

3)Are there any parts I should also replace while doing this?
If the wiring harness on the alternator is deteriorating, get a new one.

Car just struck 94,000 miles with the original alternator, and the battery is not old.
I'd still get it tested before replacing, hate to see you spend the coin when the problem was a corroded wire plug.

As groovy as upgrading the alternator sounds, 130 amps is about 100 amps more than you need, unless you are powering the stage equipment for the Grateful Dead.

I have seen in-car sound systems that did require this, so it's certainly possible. The main reason for huge alternators in modern cars is the power required by multi-port fuel injection.

Last edited by 2+2GT; 02-20-2011 at 08:40 AM.
Old 02-20-2011, 12:46 PM
kalli
6th Gear Member

easy to swap, and most you buy will have the pulley on it already. the swap is two bolts and the wiring at the back. as 2+2 says dead easy.you'll need a new belt.
I bought an alternator two weeks ago, stock replacement type. I guess 70amps and I bought a new voltage regulator with it in case I ever need it (was only like 10$)
Old 02-21-2011, 03:59 PM
guitarman376
3rd Gear Member

I have narrowed my choices down to either:
55 watt $59.95
OR
65 watt $63.95

I do not plan on installing new stereo system or anything like that. For $4 more I can get 10 more watts, but do I even need/want that extra capacity?
Old 02-21-2011, 04:04 PM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

If you don't have AC, even those are more than you need. IIRC, the original was 42 amp.
Old 02-22-2011, 04:03 PM
kalli
6th Gear Member

2+2 is right, but for that 4$ difference i'd take the juicier one without any thinking, just to have reserves, you have to change them anyway ....
Old 02-22-2011, 04:10 PM
001mustang
3rd Gear Member

i'd probably pick more juice at expense of very small hp loss.
Old 02-23-2011, 01:45 PM
frdnut
2nd Gear Member

Are you sure it's your alternator and not your voltage regulator that's not working?..I would have the alternator checked out before you buy a new one..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help: Alternator