Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Trunk weatherstripping

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2011, 09:27 PM
Dennis Marks
2nd Gear Member

Default Trunk weatherstripping

I am having serious problems with my trunk weatherstripping. I have bought 2 from NPD and neither have worked correctly. My trunk is extremely hard to close and it sticks up about 1/4 inch above the body line. I read some old threads here and on a few other forums. I know the opening goes towards the inside and cut in the rear, but it was brought up in one of the other forums that the new weatherstripping that actually fits on the channel gives a better seal. I know this is not the original way but has anyone tried this or can you tell me what I keep doing wrong? Thanks.
Old 04-03-2011, 08:35 AM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Who made the seal you are using? There are several makers.
Old 04-03-2011, 08:52 AM
Dennis Marks
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2+2GT
Who made the seal you are using? There are several makers.
Both were made by NPD
Old 04-03-2011, 12:18 PM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

I was not aware that NPD made any seals at all, I was under the impression that they bought them from the manufacturer/wholesaler and resold them. So, instead of buying the same too-stiff crap, how about asking them who made the seals, and whether they have a higher quality alternative.
Old 04-03-2011, 12:32 PM
Dennis Marks
2nd Gear Member

I was not aware that NPD made any seals at all, I was under the impression that they bought them from the manufacturer/wholesaler and resold them. So, instead of buying the same too-stiff crap, how about asking them who made the seals, and whether they have a higher quality alternative.
I am aware they do not make them, they only sell them, but they only show one in the book. I do not mind asking. I only got one suggestion as to what everyone else was using, so I guess all are fine. I would like some alternatives. Also got no reply on using the ones off the new mustangs. Trying to find a solution to a bad problem. thanks.
Old 04-03-2011, 12:56 PM
mortman
3rd Gear Member

Dennis, mine is the same way, it been on for 2 year and is just now settling in on one side (cars not subject to much heat) if you use the channel you may trap water in there, it acts like a rain gutter, the seal the way originally set up dose not actually bottom out in the channel, seals around the outside lip of the channel.
Old 04-03-2011, 04:45 PM
Dennis Marks
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mortman
Dennis, mine is the same way, it been on for 2 year and is just now settling in on one side (cars not subject to much heat) if you use the channel you may trap water in there, it acts like a rain gutter, the seal the way originally set up dose not actually bottom out in the channel, seals around the outside lip of the channel.
Thanks. I talked to a guy locally that does a lot of custom upholstry and he told me that they made a soft rubber weatherstripping. I think he told me it was Softseal or something similar, but when I looked at the site, I didn't find anything for a 65 or any older Mustangs. He had a 37 Chevy in his shop he was redoing and all the weatherstripping was very soft and pliable. I also read an article about how to make it softer which I might try.
Old 04-03-2011, 05:42 PM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

You could try a Dan Carpenter trunk seal. It installs the way it supposed to, and the lid looks like this:

Last edited by 2+2GT; 04-03-2011 at 05:45 PM.
Old 04-03-2011, 08:48 PM
Dennis Marks
2nd Gear Member

You could try a Dan Carpenter trunk seal. It installs the way it supposed to, and the lid looks like this:

Looks great. Where did you order yours? I am going to call Laurel Mtn Mustang tomorrow to be sure the one they sell is DC's. I found one but they had a minimum order. What glue did you use? I know the correct kind is the yellow, but I would rather use something else. That's the info I needed about the rubber. Thanks a lot.

Last edited by Dennis Marks; 04-03-2011 at 08:54 PM.
Old 04-03-2011, 09:00 PM
Dennis Marks
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mortman
We have a few things in common-trunk problems and a long project. My project is in it's 5th year now. What steering wheel are you using? My Grant is a real problem but I got few suggestions as to how to try fix it before I buy a different one.

Last edited by Dennis Marks; 04-03-2011 at 09:03 PM.

Quick Reply: Trunk weatherstripping