Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Frame stiffners

Old 05-02-2011, 09:38 PM
Dennis Marks
2nd Gear Member

Default Frame stiffners

I am aware of all the frame stiffners out there and appreciate all the prior info. The question I have is why can't you just weld a piece of channel iron from where the frame rails start at the front to where they end at the back. I also read where it was good to get the car off the ground and set it on 4 stands before welding frame rails in because most of the old uni-body's were actually sagging in the middle. any reason channel iron would not work? In my thinking it should be stronger than anything on the market. Any thoughts? Thanks
Old 05-02-2011, 09:50 PM
BuckeyeDemon
2nd Gear Member

that's what i had purchased and installed about 18 years ago. they were nothing more than box tube with angled and capped ends.

i hated the way they looked so i cut them off and installed these.

Old 05-02-2011, 10:47 PM
jp1967stang
2nd Gear Member

^^where did you buy these rails or did you make them i like them
Old 05-02-2011, 11:27 PM
Adrenolin
5th Gear Member

I'd take rolled or square stock over channel however any of it would stiffen the car up from stock uni-body. Personally for the 165.00 bucks that Tin Man Fabrications wants for an excellent set of subframe connectors you cant go wrong. These are well made and use heavy gauge metal.. you don't need anything stronger.
Old 05-03-2011, 08:52 AM
Dennis Marks
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Dennis Marks
I am aware of all the frame stiffners out there and appreciate all the prior info. The question I have is why can't you just weld a piece of channel iron from where the frame rails start at the front to where they end at the back. I also read where it was good to get the car off the ground and set it on 4 stands before welding frame rails in because most of the old uni-body's were actually sagging in the middle. any reason channel iron would not work? In my thinking it should be stronger than anything on the market. Any thoughts? Thanks
Now that is a very classy look. I have the same question as JP. Is that your creation or where did you get them. Can I weld something like this in without tearing my car back apart. It will be back on the road again soon after 6 months down. Great job! Please share with us.
Old 05-03-2011, 08:57 AM
Dennis Marks
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Adrenolin
I'd take rolled or square stock over channel however any of it would stiffen the car up from stock uni-body. Personally for the 165.00 bucks that Tin Man Fabrications wants for an excellent set of subframe connectors you cant go wrong. These are well made and use heavy gauge metal.. you don't need anything stronger.
Thanks, Nice car. I am aware of Tin Man, have watched the install video and feel they are the best after market ones available that requires minimum fabrication for installation and they look good. That was my plans until I came up with this brilliant idea over the weekend. How do you like your Vintage Air. I was leaning toward Classic Air just because of their customer service. Why did you choose Vintage? Thanks.
Old 05-03-2011, 09:32 AM
mr_velocity
4th Gear Member

Thanks, Nice car. I am aware of Tin Man, have watched the install video and feel they are the best after market ones available that requires minimum fabrication for installation and they look good. That was my plans until I came up with this brilliant idea over the weekend. How do you like your Vintage Air. I was leaning toward Classic Air just because of their customer service. Why did you choose Vintage? Thanks.
I pulled the trigger and went with Classic Auto Air, was a toss up but if you spend the time google reviews CAA came out on top, mostly due to their customer service which wins all the time in my book. Either is probably fine.
Old 05-03-2011, 01:37 PM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Hmmm… If a Mustang coupe or fastback was sagging in the middle, wouldn't the roof be all wrinkly?
Old 05-03-2011, 02:35 PM
mr_velocity
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2+2GT
Hmmm… If a Mustang coupe or fastback was sagging in the middle, wouldn't the roof be all wrinkly?
Sagging is probably a bad term.
Back in the day I had a friend with a fastback, a lot of power and the right tires that could hook up. When they did the body would twist so much that rear window would blow out.
Coupes the flex too much will crack the filler along the lead line on the side above the qtr panel.

These were cheap 1960s cars, there is a lot that can be done to make them better, no reason not to.
Old 05-03-2011, 04:02 PM
OCHOHILL
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2+2GT
No, there is give at the end of the pillars.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Frame stiffners