Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

No Powersteering (Soaring)

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2005, 09:31 PM
tylerdru
4th Gear Member

Default No Powersteering (Soaring)

Is it hard to drive a car with manual steering? I am only 15 so i have not been driving long. Must you always use both hands? Does it require much thought once you get used to it. I want to know this because there is a 65 mustang in my area in great condition for $3500 with manual steering. Im getting my mustang at a early age so i can fix it up until i get my liscence. (No my parents are not paying for all of this.)
Old 08-29-2005, 11:26 PM
nualln
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: No Powersteering (Soaring)

Im 19, and I drive a car w/o power steering or power brakes.

The steering is only difficult when you are going at a very slow pace, or at a stop. You'll develop tricks, and you will get used to it. When I first started driving my mustang, it was hell, but now It's so hard to go back to power steering.
Old 08-30-2005, 04:47 AM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

IMO the 65 isn't heavy enough to require power steering. Now, the 67 and up have more weight to contend with, so power might be good for those models. I like to feel the road when I drive, so I personally prefer no power steering that Ford put on those. However, the power assist that Ford is putting on current Mustangs is nice. The faster you go, the less power steering you have, so you can still feel the road.
Old 08-30-2005, 04:48 AM
KTM
2nd Gear Member

You can live with it. Mustang w/o power steering came from factory with slow steering gear and it means that you have to spin steering wheel many times more that car with power steering. This made steering little bit lighter to use when you are parking your car. Steering is light to use if car is moving and it is enough if car just moves you don´t need great speed for that.

If you feel that you need p/s then save some money and buy good rack and pinoin system.
Old 08-30-2005, 05:30 AM
Hiker
1st Gear Member

I don't have PS in my 65' and it sucks... Maybe cause i'm not used to it but I would sure would like to have it. It is harder at slow speeds but once you get rolling it's not bad. Converting to PS is totally out of the question due to cost and labor. I did drive a 65' with a Flaming River 16:1 steering box 2 weeks ago.. These are the same boxes they put in Cobras. It was alot better, but not like PS. I may convert later this year to a FR box, they're only $500 and I should be able to install it myself.
Old 08-30-2005, 09:04 AM
lClutchl
3rd Gear Member

I pulled the power steering out of my 68 Cougar and converted it to manual. You don't need it in these cars. Once you figure out that even the smallest amount of vehicle movement will lighten up your steering effort in a parking lot, you won't miss it at all.
Old 08-30-2005, 11:20 AM
Dan66
3rd Gear Member

I've owned vintage Mustangs with and without power steering, and I can say without hesitation that I prefer the manual set-up. Mustang power steering is sloppy at best. No feeling of control at all. The only time you'll be irritated with manual steering is when you're having to turn the wheels while sitting still. You'll need (or will develop) Popeye arms. The trick is to roll while you're turning the wheel; makes all the difference in the world.

Two tips: keep your huge factory steering wheel (leverage is everything); and the wider the tire - the harder it will be to turn.
Old 08-30-2005, 02:01 PM
lClutchl
3rd Gear Member

Another advantage of Manual steering: If anyone asks to drive your car tell them they have to be able to cycle the steering wheel from end to end to prove they can handle it. Works every time
Old 08-30-2005, 05:06 PM
tylerdru
4th Gear Member

thanks guys. I think i will be able to drive with manual steering. It wouldnt hurt to learn. If its really bad then I will buy what hiker was talking about. I post pictures of the mustang if I get it.
Old 08-30-2005, 08:15 PM
6mustang6
5th Gear Member

Im 16, almost 17, I love my car without power steering. When i drive my dads 67 with it, i dont like it. It might be a little tuff, to start with, but like someone said, you'll learn the tricks, and get used to it.

Quick Reply: No Powersteering (Soaring)