Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Mag Wheels with Mag Lugs?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 03:09 PM
urban_cowboy
5th Gear Member

Default Mag Wheels with Mag Lugs?

The most recent casualty to the torque gods were my rear Mag 500 wheels. The tapered lugs and studs and wheel holes are trashed. Apparently they do not like high torque applications when you actually have traction. The taper on the lugs are gone. The stud holes in the wheels are oblong, and the studs themselves are have eaten in two. I am dang lucky the back wheels did not fly off. Geez!

My buddy told me to get some drag type wheels to put my ET Streets on when I am playing on the track. Weld Racing ProStars have the shoulder style lug nuts and thick wheel flange like what I need. I wish I could find some Mag 500 looking wheels with the same setup. Do you guys know who might make some?

Here is a link to the wheel I ordered but am not thrilled with. They are great wheels, just do not look right on a classic musclecar.
http://weldracing.com/catalog/produc...147/image/275/
http://weldracing.com/street-perform...e/prostar.html

Here are the lugs and washers you use. That way the wheel cannot eat up the lug and start coming off. Weld calls them Mag style lugs, but others call the taper style lug Magnum lugs...I call them shank or shoulder lugs.
http://weldracing.com/lug-nut-4-1-2-rh-open.html

Thanks!

Last edited by urban_cowboy; 05-19-2011 at 03:18 PM.
Old 05-19-2011, 03:56 PM
Rat fink
2nd Gear Member

Don't leave the nuts loose
Old 05-19-2011, 04:00 PM
urban_cowboy
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Rat fink
Don't leave the nuts loose
Wow, that was helpful. Thanks for the tip.

I just found the term I was looking for. The Mag 500 wheels I have use 60* conical seats. Those are no beuno on the strip with my torque.

Funny I cannot find Mag 500 wheels that use "mag lugs".
Old 05-19-2011, 04:43 PM
Rat fink
2nd Gear Member

Hay, no problem, Friend of mine has 850 Foot lbs in his truck, unless your talking about a different car than the picture, that 351 doesn't have a lot of torque. That's the wrong color stripe for a Marron car.
wrong wheels also

Last edited by Rat fink; 05-19-2011 at 04:45 PM.
Old 05-19-2011, 05:14 PM
Iskwezm
4th Gear Member

Hay, no problem, Friend of mine has 850 Foot lbs in his truck, unless your talking about a different car than the picture, that 351 doesn't have a lot of torque. That's the wrong color stripe for a Marron car.
wrong wheels also
you are about a *** on everything you post. I dont know you found your way here, but find your way out.
Old 05-19-2011, 05:29 PM
Iskwezm
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by urban_cowboy
Wow, that was helpful. Thanks for the tip.

I just found the term I was looking for. The Mag 500 wheels I have use 60* conical seats. Those are no beuno on the strip with my torque.

Funny I cannot find Mag 500 wheels that use "mag lugs".
can they bill drilled to accept mag lugs?

I wouldnt put Welds on that car unless they were the Weld 2.0.
Old 05-19-2011, 09:19 PM
Rat fink
2nd Gear Member

ISK
I don't know who you think you are but whatever power you think you have, you don't. You leave. And take this giant middle finger with you. I can't help that you can't figure out that if the guy has elongated holes in his rims that his lugs are not tight, Your a dumb ash, Oh by the way, I live in Sugar Land Texas, In case you would like to talk face to face..

I thought not, Wooooooooose.

And , spell check would be good DA
Old 05-20-2011, 08:56 AM
urban_cowboy
5th Gear Member

wrong wheels also
You are a complete idiot. Yes, I know the stripe is wrong. I did not paint the car and have not put any attention to the body as I like going fast more than looking correct. It was originally Acapulco Blue, if you want to bitch about something else. Secondly, yes I know Mag 500 are not the correct wheels. This is a Pro Street, Resto-mod, Pro-Touring, etc car...not a concourse trailer baby. Thirdly, making assumptions about what engine I have in my car is a perfect example of your stupidity. How do you know I am not running 1000 lb*ft in a radical big block? You never asked. In fact I am running about 600 lb*ft in a small block that has crushed spring perches, snap a tranny input shaft, twisted a tranny output shaft, smoked three top end single disc clutches with 2400# pressure plates, and now has trashed a set of Mag 500 wheels and studs. If you run plane jane street tires with big torque, you will never break anything because it only spins the tires. If you run slicks on a drag strip, you are going to snap stuff.

Now I tightened the lugs on both back tires to 100ft*lbs. At 4400 rpm launches, when the power plants, something has got to give. Since I was running ET Streets, have a dual disc clutch, and decent rearend, what gave was the cheap Discount Tire conical lug nuts which caused the studs to eat in two and eventually to oval out the wheel holes. Yes leaving a tire loose will do the same thing, but I generally know what I am doing and the lugs were tight before heading to the track.

Now Rat Fink, please do not ever reply to one of my posts again.

Now back to topic, does anyone know of a vintage wheel with mag/shank lugs?

Last edited by urban_cowboy; 05-20-2011 at 09:12 AM.
Old 05-20-2011, 09:06 AM
urban_cowboy
5th Gear Member

Iskwezm, why only put Weld 2.0 wheels on? The dang Alumastar 2.0 wheels are like $500 each while the ProStars are $250 each.

My existing Mag 500 wheels have the standard OEM thick flange. We would have to fab up a spacer or something to make the shank nuts work. That is a bit scary at 150mph.

I hate running mis-matched tires and wheels, but this is really just for the track and race events.
Old 05-20-2011, 11:47 AM
Iskwezm
4th Gear Member

ISK
I don't know who you think you are but whatever power you think you have, you don't. You leave. And take this giant middle finger with you. I can't help that you can't figure out that if the guy has elongated holes in his rims that his lugs are not tight, Your a dumb ash, Oh by the way, I live in Sugar Land Texas, In case you would like to talk face to face..

I thought not, Wooooooooose.

And , spell check would be good DA
Look at your own post and use spell check ***.

So your internet bad *** huh?

If you knew his car you would know what power he has,but you dont. So you just come shooting your mouth off to show everybody what a *** you are.

I ever make it to Candy Land, i will be sure to look you up at the local Piggly Wiggly ok.

Quick Reply: Mag Wheels with Mag Lugs?