Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Undercarriage paint question

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 06:56 AM
dmaclaren
2nd Gear Member

Default Undercarriage paint question

I have some surface rust that I need to remove. It's on the steering linkage, some frame or supports that will need to be wire wheel.

So, it's flat black and I want it to stay flat black. I don't have a sprayer or really want to buy one at this point.

So, I assume I need to use a primer and paint. What automotive spray can paint would I use? can I get it at an auto store or do I need to buy online?

After I wire, can I just clean with cloth or do I need a chemical cleaning, if so, what?

Thanks,
Don
Old 06-09-2011, 08:52 AM
Stainless Works
Former Sponsor

Any products from the POR15 or Eastwood brands offer a number of items for this job your planning. Each will offer primer, cleaners and prep materials. If you want to save a few dollars, automotive grade degreaser and some brake cleaner along with good Dupont primer and paint will work very well.

Post some before and after pictures and let us know what you used.
Old 06-09-2011, 09:41 AM
JMD
6th Gear Member

Or... just go to NAPA and buy a can of flat black paint. I like the NAPA brand of flat black, dries quick and looks good.

Wire brush, clean, and spray.

DON'T us primer on these kind of parts, Primer will only serve to thicken the film, you don't want that here.
Old 06-09-2011, 12:31 PM
HGC
4th Gear Member

I used Rustoleum satin black. I think the can code is 7777. I did prime, also with Rustoleum.
Brake cleaner is toxic. Be careful. Some time back there was report posted here about a guy who used it to clean an area he was going to weld. When the welder hit a drop of the cleaner it made a brief puff of extremely poison smoke which almost killed the guy. He went into seizures. He was left with permanent injuries.
Old 06-09-2011, 04:27 PM
KMatch
2nd Gear Member

True about brake clean. It's good stuff and normally nothing to be concerned about at that level even though care should always be used, but not so when welding. Argon, brake clean, and an arc = phosgene gas. They make poison.

Another case was a guy I worked with. He'd sprayed a bunch of brake clean into the drain plug hole of an oil pan still on the car - the reason escapes me. Some time later a torch was used in the area and he made a trip to the hospital.

Back to painting steering linkage - primer is normally a good thing, but like mentioned, it's rarely used in this capacity. The metal of steering linkage is porous enough most paint will take a good bite. Even rustoleum has a chance here...