Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

engine+tranny removal tips

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 10:29 PM
jimmy428
2nd Gear Member

i always do the 4 corners of the intake, sometimes carb.

hoist levelers and carb plates help a ton
Old 06-27-2011, 10:56 PM
67t5ponycoupe
5th Gear Member

I prefer the holes on the heads were the altenator would bolt up. It takes a 7/16ths bolt. I don't trust the little 5/16ths bolts that hold the intake on. If you are doing the engine and trans at the same time you will need a load leveler. Harbor Freight has them pretty cheap.
Old 06-28-2011, 09:42 AM
MustangFTW

is a load leveler necessary? i was thinking i would just make the back chain longer then the front one.

Old 06-28-2011, 10:29 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

A load leveler will let you shift the angle. Once the tranny is pointed so it'll go into the tunnel, you'll probably want to bring it back up a little as you drop the engine down in and back. Might have to, if you don't have much clearance to the floor/ground.

I also tend to remove the distributor and stick an old one (or at least something) in the hole so that nothing unwanted falls in. It's a hold-over from working with Chevvies, but it's still cheaper to keep doing it that way than it is to buy a new distributor because you caught it against the chain and bent it.

Norm
Old 06-28-2011, 12:05 PM
MustangFTW

alright so i removed the power steering pump, all have left is to free up the tranny.

my exhaust fell when i removed the manifolds, isnt there supposed to be hangers?

Old 06-28-2011, 12:28 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Hangers? Not necessarily near to the engine - if they were, you'd likely have trouble from engine torque reaction and thermal expansion causing gasket leaks, clamp joints that would never stay tight, and cracks. There has to be enough flexibility left in the exhaust system to allow those things to happen without creating too much stress or hanger load.

Either you broke one or more hangers, or the unsupported front part just sagged under its own weight (including, I think, those heavy iron manifolds that the pipes and hangers were never designed to be supporting). You'll have to look things over, as there may be kinks or crimps or worse in the pipes that weren't there before.

Norm
Old 06-28-2011, 12:40 PM
MustangFTW

yep, no support from front all the way to the muffler.

Old 06-29-2011, 11:01 AM
MustangFTW

so there are 2 sets of bolts on the tranny u bracket, 2 nuts in the middle and 2 long bolts at either side, i should remove all 4 correct?

Old 06-29-2011, 10:57 PM
67t5ponycoupe
5th Gear Member

Yes remove them all. jack up the tranny first so it doesn't fall on you. You are starting to scare me with all these questions that you should be able to answer yourself by just looking at the car.
Old 06-29-2011, 11:18 PM
jimmy428
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 67t5ponycoupe
Yes remove them all. jack up the tranny first so it doesn't fall on you. You are starting to scare me with all these questions that you should be able to answer yourself by just looking at the car.
well said. unless you are ocd about asking all this, it is straight forward and all your questions should be answered looking at the car.

Quick Reply: engine+tranny removal tips