Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

engine+tranny removal tips

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 06:23 PM
MustangFTW

Default engine+tranny removal tips

So i used the search function and found this

https://mustangforums.com/forum/clas...uto-trans.html

just wanted to know what i would have to remove from the trans to pull it out while its attached to the engine. also how would i go about removing the driveshaft?

Old 06-26-2011, 06:55 PM
MustangBradley
2nd Gear Member

Remove the universal joint, and the yoke that is sticking up the transmission's rear will just slide out. Have a catch pan ready for any fluid that decides to make a run for it.

When you remove the trans, make sure the rear of the motor is supported.
Old 06-26-2011, 08:03 PM
MustangFTW

Originally Posted by MustangBradley
Remove the universal joint, and the yoke that is sticking up the transmission's rear will just slide out. Have a catch pan ready for any fluid that decides to make a run for it.

When you remove the trans, make sure the rear of the motor is supported.

support the rear of the engine so the back end of the tranny doesnt hit the ground?

so besides removing the driveshaft what other things do i have to remove to get the tranny free to pull out w/engine?

Old 06-26-2011, 09:15 PM
MustangBradley
2nd Gear Member

Support the engine block at the rear. The engine/trans combination is supported by the two motor mounts up front, and the trans crossmember at the rear. When you break apart the engine and trans, the engine won't have anything supporting its rear, so it will pivot around the motor mounts. The trans will be supported by a floor jack (if the car is on jackstands) or a dedicated trans hoist if on a lift.

Once you have the shifter unhooked, and the driveshaft out, unbolt the trans and slide it backwards. Once the input shaft clears, it will be free.
Old 06-27-2011, 08:50 AM
MustangFTW

but i was going to remove the engine and tranny while there connected.

Old 06-27-2011, 10:51 AM
jimmy428
2nd Gear Member

i have done this many times. my best advice is to remove anything and everything that you see/think is gonna come out as you pull both hunks of metal.

some thing that come to mind:

hood
radiator
fan
alternator
belts
gas lines
carb
driveshaft
spark plugs
any wiring like oil sending unit or coil
speedo cable
reverse back up lights
nuetral safety on auto
shifter rods
shifter if needed
starter or just cables running to starter

so, you get the point? anything and everything. just take a look and as you pull, watch for things attached and remove as necessary. you should see what you need to remove easily unless your pulling the motor/trans at 50 mph.
Old 06-27-2011, 01:04 PM
KMatch
2nd Gear Member

One of the best helpers comes from Kodak. Take a picture of everything! That bracket that's so obvious? You may not have a clue if it even FITS your car a week from now. Even worse if someone "helps" and drops an extra part in your pile. With lots of pictures, it'll be obvious that smog pump you spent hours trying to reinstall was never attached in the first place and likely came from your Oldsmobile. I've made my living working on cars for 30 years. You'll always find a camera attached to me somewhere.
Old 06-27-2011, 02:32 PM
MustangFTW

thanks for the advice, ive been taking loads of pictures.

so far today ive taken off

alternator, battery, fan, radiator, carburetor, disconnected most tubing, sparkplug wires and dist cap.

when i was removing my radiator one of the two copper tubes at the bottom twisted and tore, is it worth buying a new one or should i fab something up?

also when i remove driveshaft is there any brackets holding the tranny up? and do i just have to remove the top of the shifter to get it through?'

thanks.

Old 06-27-2011, 03:29 PM
MustangBradley
2nd Gear Member

I guess I should learn to read a little better. Sorry about my confusion.

Removing the engine/trans as a unit and reinstalling it as a unit is much easier in my opinion.

Like jimmy428 said, removal of the hood and radiator makes it a lot easier as well.

Unbolt the shifter so nothing is sticking through the floor. (On a manual trans car)

Once you have the engine attached to the hoist, preload the hoist slightly to "unload" the motor mounts then unbolt the trans crossmember and let the trans fall free. Then crank the hoist and pull her free. Do everything slowly, don't be in a rush.
Old 06-27-2011, 08:46 PM
MustangFTW

Originally Posted by MustangBradley
I guess I should learn to read a little better. Sorry about my confusion.

Removing the engine/trans as a unit and reinstalling it as a unit is much easier in my opinion.

Like jimmy428 said, removal of the hood and radiator makes it a lot easier as well.

Unbolt the shifter so nothing is sticking through the floor. (On a manual trans car)

Once you have the engine attached to the hoist, preload the hoist slightly to "unload" the motor mounts then unbolt the trans crossmember and let the trans fall free. Then crank the hoist and pull her free. Do everything slowly, don't be in a rush.
where should i bolt the chains to? i have the exhaust manifolds removed.

Quick Reply: engine+tranny removal tips