Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Broke bolt on exhaust manifold

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 01:19 PM
maestro1024
1st Gear Member

Default Broke bolt on exhaust manifold

I need to remove my exhaust manifold on my 66 coupe 6 cylinder as it has a gap between it and the engine and I was going to have it reworked at the machine shop and put new seals on it.

All the bolts came off good except the first one on the very front. It twisted off. I still have the manifold on but I could probably pull it off since what is left of the bolt is in the head.

What is the best solution for this. I have tried drilling into it but haven't had much luck. I think maybe I have some really cheap bits and need to get a better bit. I have an easy out set I was going to try after I got a hole started.

I called the machine shop and they said to pull the head off with the exhuast manifold and bring the whole thing to them so they can remove the bolt.

what you guys do? Anything else I need to try to get the broke bolt out?
Old 07-13-2011, 01:26 PM
scott_m_mil
2nd Gear Member

Drilling it out would be bad, you'll tear up the threads. For what its worth you may just drive it up to the shop and have them take care of it. If you end up messing up the head you won't be happy.

Scott

On a side note, you could have bad bits, but also remember that the metal there has gone through 40 years of heat treating and is now hard as hell.
Old 07-13-2011, 01:36 PM
sideshow_downs
1st Gear Member

Did the bolt brake off inside the head or did it just brake the head of the bolt off? if whats left of the bolt is sticking out of the head you could try vice grips and twist whats left off
Old 07-13-2011, 03:30 PM
maestro1024
1st Gear Member

There is nothing hanging out to get vice grips on.

Maybe I should post a pic of it.

I am wondering about taking it down there like you said.
Old 07-13-2011, 04:06 PM
scott_m_mil
2nd Gear Member

Even if they charge you 50 bucks to fix it, its better than spending hundreds on a head. Exhaust bolts break all the time, they should be able to remove it. Worst case they'll drill it out and repair the threads.

Future tip: Apply heat with a torch to exhaust before removing bolts, it also helps coat them in a penetrating oil (PB blaster, Kroil oil) for a few days before removing. It will save you lots of heart ache.
Old 07-13-2011, 04:35 PM
groho
4th Gear Member

Don't know how mechanical you are. If you've never extracted a bolt, it can be very time consuming and if done wrong, creates allot more work. Sounds like you'd be better off paying someone else to do it. PB Blaster is amazing stuff, works great on old bolts and nuts! Always have a can laying around.
Old 07-13-2011, 09:24 PM
jp1967stang
2nd Gear Member

Easy out and torch should work, can probley use a propane one. Get nice easy outs tho other wise they work like ****.
Old 07-14-2011, 06:38 AM
maestro1024
1st Gear Member

I got a good bit from sears and was able to drill through the bolt.

I am not sure there is enough bolt surface to get the easy out on now.

I am wondering do I just screw through the bolt and hope what is left falls out? Or something else?
Old 07-14-2011, 09:22 AM
JMD
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by maestro1024
I got a good bit from sears and was able to drill through the bolt.

I am not sure there is enough bolt surface to get the easy out on now.

I am wondering do I just screw through the bolt and hope what is left falls out? Or something else?

I just read this thread and was going to say to get some good bits, drill a small hole dead ***** in the middle of the bolt and keep going bigger until you get the bolt extracted.... but I think you got it...

Extracting most bolts is easy enough so long as you have the patience to drill out dead center, straight, and figure out where to stop (lengthwise and depth-wise)....
Old 07-14-2011, 11:59 AM
maestro1024
1st Gear Member

I think I messed up on the drilling in the center part. I am more to one side.

My plan now is to try and drill a 2nd hole on the other side of the bolt and hope everything else just falls out.

Then try and re-thread the hole.

Quick Reply: Broke bolt on exhaust manifold