Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Shaved bay?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 07:03 PM
Stangman70
2nd Gear Member

Default Shaved bay?

Anyone have one? I see they are popular on the fox body but I haven't seen much on the classics. Pics anyone?
Old 07-24-2011, 09:21 PM
jgstang65
2nd Gear Member

what do you mean ? i'm shaving my 65 shock towers and have seen them gone for the mustang 2 suspension.....but thats it! do share..
Old 07-24-2011, 09:31 PM
Stangman70
2nd Gear Member

Another name for it would be a tucked bay. The VW group that I belong to do amazing jobs on their rides.
Here is a good example
Attached Thumbnails Shaved bay?-shaved-bay.jpg  
Old 07-25-2011, 01:37 AM
musnicki
3rd Gear Member

I cut my shock towers out but it doesn't compare to that picture that you posted. Most of us like our old cars to look rough around the edges. Albiet there are a few that have that clean overhauled look to them.

James
Old 07-25-2011, 04:44 AM
NoReins
3rd Gear Member

Is this what you mean by "shaved"? If so, here is my engine bay. Shock tower delete with Rod & Custom Mustang II style suspension. We also welded shut any holes that were not going to be used as well as some that we could bypass. We welded the mounting studs for the a/c blower motor from the inside of the firewall so there would be no visible bolt holes.

Last edited by NoReins; 07-25-2011 at 06:44 AM.
Old 07-25-2011, 05:17 AM
Stangman70
2nd Gear Member

Wow Noreins that looks great. I have been doing some reading on the shaved shock tower and conversion to MII front suspension. It looks like a great idea, but not something that I would want to do or need. Have done some further thinking, I would like to see what people have done to clean up their bays. IE, hide plug wires, coils, hoses, etc. Anything that can be done to really clean up the bay instead of the rats nest that is under my hood.
Old 07-25-2011, 05:51 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

Some do shave the firewall but most of those cars are high end show cars.A mustang 2 kit has its pros and cons pros are room for a mod motor or if your shock towers are messed up bad.The cons is lack of handling ackerman change of load points.One size fits all doesn't work.
Old 07-25-2011, 07:35 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Stangman70
Anyone have one? I see they are popular on the fox body but I haven't seen much on the classics.
I would guess it's still a fairly small segment at this point.

Those interested in maintaining originality or period correct modifications won't do this, for the obvious reason.

Those into hardcore performance are likely to stop modifying when the performance targets are approached, and spend the remaining effort on testing, tuning and driving.

Quite honestly, I had never heard the term "shaved bay" before, though since I have heard the term "shaved" with respect to exterior features such as door handles and trim I could sort of guess at what you meant. "Tucked bay" doesn't even register - "tucked tires" does, with what to me is a negative connotation.

I thought you intended this to mean replacing all of the engine bay and possibly the firewall with essentially flat sheet metal panels, which in my honest opinion is for show cars only. There are structural and noise/vibration issues associated with unstiffened flat sheet metal, which should be solved if the car is going to get driven much.

Although it's more GM-oriented, there are a few build threads concerning early Mustangs over on the Pro-touring.com site. Either those, or possibly some of the early Camaros that are more for show than go could give you some ideas. As far as finding these discussions, all I can suggest is to start in the "Project Updates" section. I'm too much of a hardcore corner carving enthusiast to actively follow this sort of thing.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 07-25-2011 at 07:38 AM.
Old 07-25-2011, 08:46 AM
rtintwo
2nd Gear Member

"Shaving" the bay is expensive, time consuming and if not done correctly it is dangerous. Ford put alot of thought into how to make the bay strong enough to handle the the torque, road vibration. They were thinking that somebody would floor it across railroad tracks at every chance.

To clean up the bay is pretty easy to do. Just depends on how far you want to go. The best job would be to pull the engine. replace any leaking gaskets. wash and paint the motor. Wash and paint the bay. Wrap topside wiring(sending units,coil positive) in convoluted tubing, new plug wires, new distributor cap, new master cyliner cap. One little touch that i like is new nuts for the top of the shock towers. To me this shows that you took a little more time rather than just painting over them.

Some guys will try and tuck the headlight harness inside the frame rail or wheel well, i dont like this cause it makes alot more chaffe points to damage the wiring.
Old 07-25-2011, 10:16 AM
69FB
4th Gear Member

You mean something like this?

This is a car my mechanic did for a client I have met. It's a 1967 convertible with a 03-04 SC/Cobra engine.

Quick Reply: Shaved bay?