Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Holley Carb linkage advice

Old 08-14-2011, 05:58 PM
4reboy
5th Gear Member

Default Holley Carb linkage advice

Hey everyone,

I had to switch from my 650cfm Edelbrock carb to this 600cfm holley double pumper that I happened to have on hand. The problem now is getting the linkage setup, the holley is used and the linkage doesn't seem to quite work with my set up.

My car: 351windsor with stock FMX automatic transmission

First things first, I need to know where I can get a throttle cable bracket like the one in the picture below. My stock bracket no longer works and I need to secure my cable and springs in a better way than my temporary zip ties. There is a cheap looking one that is for both a throttle cable and kick down cable at autozone but it's $20 and I like this style better:

Now for the other main issue. I would like to make it so that my kick down lever works. I know this isn't a critical element for driving but I would like it. There is no spot on the current carb setup that allows for this to be connected. I was told by the workers at autozone that I need to order this:

http://www.holley.com/20-48-1.asp

However, I'm not sure if this will work on a 600cfm double pumper. Is there a simple add-on bracket I can buy that allows the kickdown to be hooked up to the throttle shaft? For my old edelbrock there was simply a throttle bracket adaptor for a ford automatic transmission that worked well.

Any advice is welcome, let me know what parts I need to get my car back on the road. Thanks! Here are some pics of my carb, sorry for the poor picture quality.

Old 08-15-2011, 12:24 PM
4reboy
5th Gear Member

anyone? I can live without the kickdown until I get a new carb at some point in time (or a manual transmission), but where can I get a bracket like in the first picture that isn't such a rip off like autozones?
Old 08-15-2011, 12:52 PM
rtintwo
2nd Gear Member

Here is the throttle bracket.

http://www.cjponyparts.com/holley-th...5-1985/p/TCB6/

My own personal recomendation for the tranny kickdown would be to post that carb on craigslist trying to trade it for a holley that has the ford kickdown linkage installed. There are many thousands of holleys that have the linkage from the factory. Im willing to bet you could find somebody willing to make a trade with you. You will prolly be able to trade for the carb you want now and then buy the appropriate throttle linkage.
Old 08-15-2011, 12:54 PM
69mach1377
5th Gear Member

Why are the fuel inlets on the drivers side?
Are they reversible so they won't be in the way of the throttle and kickdown?
Old 08-15-2011, 01:09 PM
Canary94GT
4th Gear Member

damn your car makes me jizz.
Old 08-15-2011, 03:00 PM
4reboy
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by rtintwo
Here is the throttle bracket.

http://www.cjponyparts.com/holley-th...5-1985/p/TCB6/

My own personal recomendation for the tranny kickdown would be to post that carb on craigslist trying to trade it for a holley that has the ford kickdown linkage installed. There are many thousands of holleys that have the linkage from the factory. Im willing to bet you could find somebody willing to make a trade with you. You will prolly be able to trade for the carb you want now and then buy the appropriate throttle linkage.
Thanks for the link, but dang that's still an expensive bracket lol. I guess it's always the little things that get you. I'm really just looking for something to get me by which is why I put this carb on. It is my dads carb he got with the purchase of a ton of cj parts but won't be put to use. I may be able to trade it so I'll look into posting something. I'm planning on writing to edelbrock to tell them about the massive malfunction that their carb had, maybe something will happen there.

Originally Posted by 69mach1377
Why are the fuel inlets on the drivers side?
Are they reversible so they won't be in the way of the throttle and kickdown?
I'm not sure why they are on that side, but it is definitely annoying and I wish they were on the other side. However, the parts on the opposite side where they would screw in doesn't seem to have any threads to be able to flip it. Now my fuel line is extra long because I had the line on the other side with my edelbrock, I may get a new line so that it's shorter and I then don't have to use zip ties to keep it out of the way of everything. I'm just afraid that the metal fuel line will interfere with the bracket when I get one

Any other advice on whether or not adapters are sold for the kickdown?
Old 08-16-2011, 12:23 AM
67t5ponycoupe
5th Gear Member

Seems like your front bowl is on the back and back bowl is on the front. That is why the fuel inlets are on the wrong side. You should be able to flip them back to correct the fuel inlet problem. As for the other problems I can't help but there are plenty of Holleys out there with the ford kick downs on them.