Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

just installed engine, quick questions.

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 04:11 AM
MustangFTW

I didn't drain it 100% just enough so that it didn't spill when I connect it to the engine. I could still see it pooling at the bottom. thanks for the tip though ;-)

Old 08-28-2011, 04:47 PM
MustangFTW

hmm I don't have any trans fluid in yet so do I have to fill it so that I have a N gear then try and turn it?

Old 08-29-2011, 09:41 AM
MustangFTW

bump.

Old 08-29-2011, 11:12 AM
crunchyskippy
3rd Gear Member

If there's no trans fluid in it, it really doesn't matter what gear its in. You will not get any resistance when trying to find TDC. Park or Neutral would be preferable.

Is your fan and shroud already installed? That may determine which method you use to find TDC.
Old 08-29-2011, 11:45 AM
MustangFTW

I did just install the fan and alternator, also filled oil. I have a question that may be really stupid but here I go

my 5th piston is at Tdc can't I drop in the dizzy and point it towards the 5th one?

otherwise I was going to install battery and crank engine to get it as close to TDC as possible, this will also circulate oil making it easier to turn hopefully.

Old 08-29-2011, 01:03 PM
crunchyskippy
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by MustangFTW
my 5th piston is at Tdc can't I drop in the dizzy and point it towards the 5th one?
Yes - you can. But you will have to:

[1] Install some timing tape on the balancer to coordinate with TDC of the 5th cylinder. Otherwise you will not be able to accurately time your engine.
[2] Never forget to attach your timing light to the 5th cylinder wire in the future. Very important!
Old 08-29-2011, 02:02 PM
MustangFTW

Originally Posted by crunchyskippy
Yes - you can. But you will have to:

[1] Install some timing tape on the balancer to coordinate with TDC of the 5th cylinder. Otherwise you will not be able to accurately time your engine.
[2] Never forget to attach your timing light to the 5th cylinder wire in the future. Very important!
thank you soooo much, your a life saver, now for those 10 quarts of oil lol.

Old 08-29-2011, 06:42 PM
Stepman
4th Gear Member

Lets not complicate things. Leave the car in park, pull number one plug, disable the coil...or just don't turn the key on, use the starter solinoid to "bump" the motor while sticking your thumb over the plug hole. When you feel the compression, quit. Then just finish rotating at the crank until your timing marks line up. Drop in dizzy.

I disagree with the having to time it to number 5 if that's where you drop it. You still need to time it to number 1. Is number 5 on the compression stroke though?
Old 08-29-2011, 08:33 PM
MustangFTW

its at the top of the cylinder.

Old 08-29-2011, 08:35 PM
MustangFTW

and the crank is ~1/4 turn from 1st cylinder tdc

Quick Reply: just installed engine, quick questions.