Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

just installed engine, quick questions.

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 11:53 AM
MustangFTW

Default just installed engine, quick questions.

so i finally got my engine transmission back in yesterday, took a while to get the transmission connected to the driveshaft since we had on the chains a bit skewed :P, now i need to connect tubes/accessories and add fluid and try it out!

so i have a couple questions

Old 08-26-2011, 11:59 AM
    TexasAxMan
    4th Gear Member

That thick wire is your main ground. It must be replaced or you'll have all kinds of problems. Get a decent ground strap (available at all auto parts stores) and make sure the connections are clean and tight.
    Old 08-26-2011, 05:45 PM
    Stepman
    4th Gear Member

To fill the trans, I'd pour in 4 quarts, then start it up. Run it thru the gears and you'll notice that there are none. Add fluid slowly, a quart at a time, going thru the gears once in between. You'll notice that suddenly, it seems to have gears. That's when you're getting close. Now you can continue adding as you check the stick. Let it settle for a few seconds (after adding) before you check it. Look at both sides of the stick and one side will be "lower". that is the correct one.

Should take 10 or 12 quarts?

When connecting the linkage, I put it in the "neutral gate". If you move the shifter all the way one direction, grab the drive shaft and see if it locks. You need the rear wheels off the ground for that. You'll also notice that if it is in park, there is a bigger distance to rev...or the first detent than there is if you're on the other end.

For the ground cable, go to the store and look at the battery cables. You can find them with eyelets instead of cable clamps on both ends.
    Old 08-26-2011, 10:52 PM
    MustangFTW

so if its in neutral the DS should turn by hand, is this done before filling, during filling..?

Old 08-27-2011, 08:00 AM
    Stepman
    4th Gear Member

I would hook everything up before I filled it. Yes, the driveshaft will turn in every gear...except park.
    Old 08-27-2011, 08:35 PM
    MustangFTW

so i forgot to set the engine to TDC before putting it in, how would i turn the engine to TDC with it in the car? do i put it in drive and push it...??

Old 08-27-2011, 08:59 PM
    1slow67
    ROTM Moderator

I either use a breaker bar and manually turn the crank pulley or use the starter.
    Old 08-27-2011, 10:09 PM
    MustangFTW

so i should be able to keep it in park and use brute force to turn it? just didnt want to break anything

how would i use the starter?

Old 08-27-2011, 10:40 PM
    1slow67
    ROTM Moderator

I would put it in neutral and yeah it actually isn't that hard. As for the starter you just use short bursts with it. I prefer using the breaker bar method.
    Old 08-27-2011, 11:25 PM
    boogerschnot
    5th Gear Member

Must folks reccomend you filling the torque converter before installing it to help prime the pump. Hopefully you dont have any troubles wwith that.

Quick Reply: just installed engine, quick questions.