Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

67 Resto Mod Project Finally started

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 01:32 PM
March2304

Default 67 Resto Mod Project Finally started

Hello again to all. I haven't really posted anything in the last year or so because I have been reading all that I can on what has already been posted. No point in asking a question that can be found via a search on the forum right?

I am now at the point of starting on my 67. In the last year I have put about 1000 miles on it mainly because I didn't want to stress out the motor by driving it too much but its time to park it as it were and get into it.
Here are some photos of the tear down.

In the garage waiting

Deck lid probably a lost cause

Interior looking promising. I think that is the original primer from factory?

Finding some rust nothing scary yet.

Figured the Battery tray would be toast no surprise there.

Interior still looking good.

My wifes little helper.

Original chalk mark from factory inspection in 67?

Interior is good all around, did find a couple rust holes behind the washer pump pedal but they are small.

Finally got it up on a cart to prep for suspension removal. Which I realize now wont be easy BECAUSE of the cart.

No more white vinyl.

Vacuum? Really lol

All in all this car is in killer shape. Took out motor and tranny the other day which means the only thing left is the rear end, front suspension and a couple brake/fuel lines. (ill have more of those photos later.)

I will be putting all of the car back together after paint and body but sadly I cannot do paint and body in my garage nor do I have the skills so I am sending it away. I know a true 100% do it yourself restoration is preferred (by me especially) I just don't have the skills or tools and I don't want to mess it up. Its going to a Mustang Restoration shop in Denver for body and paint ONLY. Nothing else, hence the body cart. When I get it back everything else including engine work will be done by my wife and I so it will still have some sense of a weekend project ya know?

Plan: Some sort of unique sweet orange exterior color with black interior and black engine bay with engine dress up of some sort. Black vinyl top with the original trim that is still in great shape. Not sure on wheels yet. Power four wheel disc brakes but keeping suspension stock, just beefing it up a little.
Engine will kinda remain stock, going with a four barrel carb and intake, complete rebuild of tranny and motor. Keeping the 3 speed and making sure the gears in rear end aren't toast. (probably just going to replace em anyway)

Simple right?

More pics to come.
Old 08-28-2011, 01:42 PM
OkBrent
1st Gear Member

WOW, that can't be a Colorado car...that thing has no rust!!! Looks great. Good luck with your project. Brent
Old 08-28-2011, 01:43 PM
OkBrent
1st Gear Member

O, I forgot to tell you what a nice looking maid you have there...
Old 08-28-2011, 01:51 PM
March2304

Thanks. As for it being a Colorado car is sure is. According to the vin plate still on the door from factory the info I found on it was that it was built in early 67 in San Jose. Shipped to Denver and sold. Rode around boulder and Denver area for awhile then came to Basalt for the last 20 or so years. Thankfully (according to the owner I got it from who had it all those years) it was garaged every winter and never driven when there was mag on the road. I got lucky for sure.
Old 08-28-2011, 03:24 PM
1ofakind
1st Gear Member

KEEP IT UP!
Old 08-30-2011, 02:57 PM
Iunderstang!

Looks great so far. You are so fortunate that your wife supports you. Mine wants my Mustang out of the garage already! (since the car arrived, my Tacoma truck sleeps outside-not good for her).

For the 4-barrel-intake manifold combo, I'd do this:
S/B Ford 289-302 Performer with Performer 600 cfm car. Part #20314

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_...arb_kits.shtml

How about a set of shorty headers and Magnaflow 40s American Thunder? The sound of those are just great.

I am slowly restoring my 67 Coupe as Vintage, but If I changed my mind and went Restomod, I'd do that.

Great work so far, Keep it up!!
Old 08-30-2011, 06:25 PM
NoReins
3rd Gear Member

Wow what a solid car you have there! Most of us aren't so lucky. Looking forward to watching your progress. Always nice to see the lady getting her hands dirty Oh, and love the pup, too!

I like the Gladius. What year is the Hayabusa?

Last edited by NoReins; 08-30-2011 at 06:27 PM.
Old 08-31-2011, 08:25 PM
ponyboychris

Great pics. You are in the same position I am with my '67 Fastback. I was thinking about a body cart as well but saw your comment about it being in the way of the suspension teardown - which is my next step on my car. Does the cart get in the way of getting to the suspension? Thanks in advanced.
Old 08-31-2011, 10:14 PM
Couper
2nd Gear Member

Semper Fi 0311
Old 09-01-2011, 03:43 PM
March2304

Thanks everyone for the encouragement. I have to say that even for an old car this is the easiest thing to take apart lol.

ponyboychris; the only way that I found the cart to be a pain in the butt is when I have the car on the floor jack and Im trying to get the cart under the car. The jack always seems to be where I need to put the middle support. A little frustration but it was worth it in the end.

Noreins; Gladius belongs to the wife and my busa is an 02, slightly modified and I have a 214.7 mph track ticket in my office. Ill never do that again. Wife loves to work out in the garage, you should see her 56' ford truck. Original flathead v-8 runs and just needs a little TLC. Thats our next project.

Semper Fi Cooper

Quick Reply: 67 Resto Mod Project Finally started