Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Leafspring won't budge

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 07:47 PM
built67
2nd Gear Member

Default Leafspring won't budge

Its been a horror show trying to get my leafs off. So far my rear is disconnected on jack stands and my driver side leaf is in two pieces. The bolt that holds the eye of the leaf to the car refuses to budge. I tried cutting the leaf then cutting the eye out by taking a grinder to it but no luck. I cut the side the nut goes on, but the side the bolt head is on refuses to come out. If i try loosening it, it rotates but the whole eye rotates with it (since I cut the leaf thinking that would help). Any suggestions? Heavy duty punch maybe? Pb blaster hasnt helped and a blow torch almost set it on fire earlier lol. I'm at a loss. Any suggestions would be more then appreciated. Thanks guys.
Old 09-01-2011, 07:57 PM
LynnBob Mustang
5th Gear Member

My interior was out of the can when I took my springs out. My diver side came out fine front and back but the passenger side front was seized up just as yours.

After trying sawszalls, grinders, cutters, air chisels and punches, regular hammer and punches etc and 5-6 hrs of this BS over a few nights we just got the cutting torch out and lite it up.
I would only do this if the interior was out or at least pulled up and away from this area as you don't want to catch it on fire.
We burned the rubber bushing out and it made a big mess got to the bolt and holder and cut it out. It took about 10 minutes with the cutting torch to get it out but after a big stink and a lot smoke it was out.
You gotta do what you gotta do to get the job done.
Good luck and be safe not to catch the car on fire.
Lynn

Last edited by LynnBob Mustang; 09-01-2011 at 07:59 PM.
Old 09-01-2011, 08:00 PM
Joes65
1st Gear Member

Its a common issue with removal of the leafs, the bolt and sleeve sort of fuse together. I have read where people manage to cut them out but it sounds like a major ordeal. When I replaced mine I ended up using an old 3/8" socket extension and a really big hammer to shock it loose then drive it out.
Old 09-01-2011, 08:05 PM
LynnBob Mustang
5th Gear Member

You must have had a semi easy one to replace, my front bolt was rusted all the way through the spring sleeve and it wouldn't budge with what ever force you hit it with. Even with PB blaster that wouldn't touch it either.
Lynn
Old 09-01-2011, 09:34 PM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

Mine took a torch and a hour of cussing to get them both loose.I would take out the back seat and carpet like said just in case.
Old 09-02-2011, 01:07 AM
built67
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the advice everyone. Lynn, my interior is currently out of the car. But if it was in how would it catch fire from the torch being under the car? Were u able to cut just the bolt or did u have to cut out the leaf spring bracket as well?
Old 09-02-2011, 04:17 AM
guitarman376
3rd Gear Member

I am getting ready to replace my leafs, would spraying the areas around the bolt/sleeve with penetrating grease help? Maybe do it a few times over a few days. I don't have a cutting wheel so I'm hoping I could drive it out if possible. Are you guys referring to a welding torch or a mapp gas torch?
Old 09-02-2011, 06:15 AM
LynnBob Mustang
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by built67
Thanks for the advice everyone. Lynn, my interior is currently out of the car. But if it was in how would it catch fire from the torch being under the car? Were u able to cut just the bolt or did u have to cut out the leaf spring bracket as well?
Because it gets so hot with the cutting torch you would be surprised how hot it gets under the floor pan cutting out that bolt. I have heard of a lot of people catching their cars on fire if they weren't careful.
When we did my '67 28 years ago we pulled the back seat up and carpet up but not the underlayment and that almost went up because of the heat.
Lynn
Old 09-02-2011, 06:16 AM
LynnBob Mustang
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by guitarman376
Are you guys referring to a welding torch or a mapp gas torch?
Acetylene cutting torch.
I sprayed and soaked my front bolt with PB Blaster and Liquid Wrench to no avail.
Lynn
Old 09-02-2011, 11:12 AM
built67
2nd Gear Member

That cutting torch would probably cut it out in a second but I don't have one nor do I know anyone with one...getting nervous I won't be able to get this thing out

Quick Reply: Leafspring won't budge