Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Leafspring won't budge

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2011, 03:22 PM
built67
2nd Gear Member

Well, my friends boss has a torch I might be able to use. Where should I cut this? Down the middle of the eye? I don't wanna cut the floorboard or the frame which I'm nervous that ill accidentally do.
Old 09-02-2011, 03:45 PM
jaw1962

I had the same problem, could not get my angle grinder in at the right angle. I was "this close" to getting a torch from my brother's company. Because I was not able to get the torch for a couple days I got impatient and desperate. Believe it or not, I started in with a dremel tool, cutting small pieces out until I made enough room to get my angle grinder in to complete it. Took a while and a couple metal cutting disks but I got it.
Old 09-02-2011, 03:47 PM
jgemperline
1st Gear Member

I used a 4.5" iirc cutting blade on angle grinder to cut the bolt on both sides of the spring between shackle and spring. Use a razor to cut away rubber. I used a torch first but after a rubber fire I decided to try a sawzaw to no avail ( $15 in blades and only scratched it). Good luck.

Last edited by jgemperline; 09-02-2011 at 03:51 PM.
Old 09-02-2011, 08:40 PM
built67
2nd Gear Member

I cut the bolt between the eye and the outer part of the bracket but my grinder can't totally reach between the frame and the eye so 3/4 of the bolt is still intact. The head of the grinder hits the eye. Getting a dremel and cutting away the eye sounds like a good idea. I can cut some pieces away to give my grinder more clearance to get to that bolt. I tried drilling out the bolt but it didnt work. What kind of dremel did u use, just a regular one?
Old 09-03-2011, 12:23 AM
jgemperline
1st Gear Member

Dang! If I may suggest a bigger cut off wheel 5 or 6"
http://www.mcmaster.com/#cutoff-wheels/=dw9t8o
May be worth a try. You will need to remove your guard for this so be safe. Watch your fingers and protect your eyes.

Last edited by jgemperline; 09-03-2011 at 12:26 AM.
Old 09-03-2011, 11:16 AM
built67
2nd Gear Member

Thanks! Definitely going to look into that bigger wheel. Might pick up a dremel and try to get to it with that if i can or at least cut away at the eye to make room for the grinder like jaw1962 did.
Old 09-03-2011, 12:31 PM
rtintwo
2nd Gear Member

If you go with the bigger disk i would suggest a bigger grinder, if you have a harbor freight near you they have 6" grinders for 30 bucks.

Also deffinatly wear a pair of heavy leather gloves. I cut my index finger with a cut off disk and had to get 4 stiches and cut a nerve so now the outside half of my finger always has a pins and needles feel to it.

When i cut my spring out i used a torch. I made 3 cuts on each leaf. One right where the leaf joined to the eye, this let me rotate the eye around. Rotated the eye and made a second cut so i was able to pull a third of the metal off. rotated the eye again and made a third cut, i was able to pull the rest of the metal off in two peices. Next i cut the rubber off giving me clear access to bolt to cut it out. You should be able to do this same thing with the grinder.
Old 09-03-2011, 05:47 PM
jaw1962

Originally Posted by built67
I cut the bolt between the eye and the outer part of the bracket but my grinder can't totally reach between the frame and the eye so 3/4 of the bolt is still intact. The head of the grinder hits the eye. Getting a dremel and cutting away the eye sounds like a good idea. I can cut some pieces away to give my grinder more clearance to get to that bolt. I tried drilling out the bolt but it didnt work. What kind of dremel did u use, just a regular one?
yup. just a regular dremel tool with a heavy duty metal cutting disk. it was small enough to get it there and cut small pieces away
Old 09-04-2011, 07:39 PM
built67
2nd Gear Member

finally cut them out woooo!!! used an angle grinder, a sawzall (and 50 bucks worth of blades) and some heat from a regular torch to get them out. i have one small problem tho...on the driver side leaf spring where the shackle bushing goes through the frame i noticed theres a metal tube type of thing that is welded to the frame (this is where you place the upper shackle bushings)...well, when i removed my driver side leaf that entire tube came out (it was a clean break) right from the frame. it only happened on the driver side tho. i slid the tube back in and figured i could bolt up the suspension and then when the swap is done drive it to my friends shop to put it on a lift and get it welded into place. is this a big ordeal or easy fix?
Old 09-04-2011, 08:20 PM
built67
2nd Gear Member

also, how do i swap the ebrake cable from my old rear to my new one without cutting it?

Quick Reply: Leafspring won't budge