Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Disc brake trouble shooting...

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 10:03 PM
superdavid
4th Gear Member

Default Disc brake trouble shooting...

I'm now running 4-wheel discs. These on the front:

http://www.discbrakeswap.com/Mustang...s%20ABOUT.html

and rear brakes from these guys that came on my 9":
http://www.quickperformance.com/index.htm

I'm pretty sure the rear are some sort of GM setup.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure this is going to be a generic question. My brakes squeal all the time (pretty sure its the rear, but can't pin point it), and stop when I tap the pedal. Its pretty dang noisy. It sounds almost more like a loud rubbing than a squeal. Any ideas?
Old 09-09-2011, 10:28 PM
Coupe
3rd Gear Member

Did you coat the backside of the pads with anything? The kit came with a lube, but I prefer "Brake quiet" on the backside to prevent the pads from moving.
Old 09-10-2011, 08:47 AM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

Uh, the red stuff in the tube? Throw that stuff away. It's garbage and no brake manufacturer will recommend using that on your pads. Under high heat conditions it bakes and hardens up, which is not what you want.

Proper pad install involves lubing all metal-to-metal contact points lightly with a good synthetic disc brake lube that will withstand temperatures above 450F without running off (like silicone-based lubes) or gumming up (like 'Disc Brake Quiet'). The idea is to insulate against vibrations while allowing the pads to move on the slides, not to keep the pads from moving around. That's the job of the caliper hardware. Gummy substances like Disc Brake Quiet do not prevent vibrations from being transmitted from the pads out to the calipers.

CRC, Versachem, STA-Lube, etc all have good synthetic brake lubes that can be found at any parts store. A lot of them even have one time use packets up at the counter.
Old 09-10-2011, 10:30 AM
Coupe
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Starfury
Uh, the red stuff in the tube? Throw that stuff away. It's garbage and no brake manufacturer will recommend using that on your pads. Under high heat conditions it bakes and hardens up, which is not what you want.

Proper pad install involves lubing all metal-to-metal contact points lightly with a good synthetic disc brake lube that will withstand temperatures above 450F without running off (like silicone-based lubes) or gumming up (like 'Disc Brake Quiet'). The idea is to insulate against vibrations while allowing the pads to move on the slides, not to keep the pads from moving around. That's the job of the caliper hardware. Gummy substances like Disc Brake Quiet do not prevent vibrations from being transmitted from the pads out to the calipers.

CRC, Versachem, STA-Lube, etc all have good synthetic brake lubes that can be found at any parts store. A lot of them even have one time use packets up at the counter.

Red stuff?
Um, no, I did not mention that.

Use the proper lube that came with the kit, it works. I would at least on the slides, and the blue disk brake quiet on the back.
If you think the blue disk brake quiet lets vibrations pass then you dont know how to use it. Most people do not use enough, or they do not allow it to dry before assembly.
Old 09-11-2011, 09:32 AM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

What product are you talking about, then? There are lots on the market, but the common ones I see are the red stuff in the squeeze tube (which CRC markets as "Disc Brake Quiet") which turns into a sticky, gummy mess when heated, and several types of sprays that stay tacky and aren't good for much except adhering shims to the backs of the pads.
Old 09-11-2011, 10:05 AM
Coupe
3rd Gear Member

The stuff I use is blue, I have used it for about 25 years, I think permetex owns it now. The trick is to just cover the backside of the pad and allow it to dry, they make it in a spray on but I prefer it to be a bit thicker.

In some applications i use the brake grease on the back instead of the blue, if they are newer pads that already have anti squeak padding on the backside, but for the older basic stuff ole blue disk brake quiet works consistently for me. But the slide pins on the traveling calipers need lube, and the portions of the pad that slides on the 4 piston also needs a dab, but these 4 pot units have poor pad retention and they can rattle when you hit a bump, the early style pad retainers can do a better job of keeping the pads in place and reducing rattles.
Old 09-11-2011, 09:20 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

Looked it up, and now I get it. I'm so used to brakes with shims that I forget a lot of older vehicles have no shims.