Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Need help on fiberglass hoods

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 09:17 AM
abrush
3rd Gear Member

Default Need help on fiberglass hoods

O.k., since we are currently at the time of year where the Mustang most likely won't be taken out of the garage until March I have been doing some research on fiberglass hoods. I currently am running the Shelby GT350 style (see pic) but the fit is terrible. The hood has warpage on the passenger side and I already put hours of work into this thing trying to get it to fit. I would like to go with a new hood come spring and am stuck between a rock and a hard place on who I should purchase one from.

Current Hood:

I really, really like the look of the 67/68 Shelby GT500kr style which is:

This hood is made by Fiberglass Specialties and it's called the M-318. I know nothing about this company. Has anyone had any expierence with them?? Is the quality decent??

My other option is to go with a hood from K.A.R. Mustang as I know their quality is superior. There is a guy in our club who is running their twin scoop hood and the fit was perfect not to mention it needed very little prep before painting. The problem is that they don't make the hood pictured above and I want something a little different as not to blend in with everyone else. Both Fiberglass Specialties and K.A.R. are running good sales through the end of the month so I need to make a decision soon.
Old 12-06-2011, 09:48 AM
MustangFTW

Fiber glass parts will always need coercion. You might be better off getting a metal hood. Then you could beat it with a hammer if it needs help fitting.

Old 12-06-2011, 09:55 AM
abrush
3rd Gear Member

Yes, I am fully aware all fiberglass parts will need some work. However, I have seen fiberglass parts that are decent and very workable to parts that are so bad there not worth fixing. Those are the parts I don't want.
Old 12-06-2011, 06:01 PM
guitarman376
3rd Gear Member

I don't know how good of a fit their hoods are but check out the site www.up22.com
Old 12-06-2011, 06:13 PM
suicide67
1st Gear Member

Mustands to fear is coming out with a new hood for your car, check them out. I hear great stuff about their fiberglass. Also there is a company in Canada that does fiberglass but I cant remember the name, Ill look them up and let u know
Old 12-06-2011, 08:01 PM
racer_dave
3rd Gear Member

NoReins has been using a lot of Mustang to Fears stuff, and I've heard others say how good their stuf is. I've used stang-aholics fiberglass and love it. Very well done.
Old 12-08-2011, 10:11 AM
abrush
3rd Gear Member

Mustangs to Fear looks like they only carry parts for the 67 on up models. I didn't see any 65/66 parts on their site.

I took a chance with fiberglass specialties and ordered the hood I pictured above. It should be here the end of next week so I will let everyone know how it fits. I'm keeping my fingers crossed on this one......:l
Old 12-08-2011, 02:28 PM
blue 67 coupe
2nd Gear Member

I actually ordered the 3" cowl hood for my 67 from K.A.R and the fit was excellent, lined up without a problem and gaps were perfect. However it is requiring alot of prep work. The place I took it to still has it and has had it for over a month working on it slowly but often. There wasn't any gel coating on the hood at all just like a primer paint and the underside had a mold like line all the way around. Also seemed as if there was waves on the cowl part and that won't go away. It is fixable for the most part with alot of blocking and sanding but I don't think I would use them again personally.
Old 12-08-2011, 09:14 PM
FoMoJoe
2nd Gear Member

I had a big bow in my hood even with the lighter weight springs. Finally I took the springs off completely, and put a towel on the hood with a 10 lb weight on it for a few days. Took care of the problem. I kept the springs off. They are behind the driver, seat should I ever need them on the road. I found that puting a string on one of the hooks of the spring when installing it, allows for it to be installed very quickly and easily. Just pull the spring and it snaps right on.
Old 12-08-2011, 09:28 PM
jp1967stang
2nd Gear Member

Be sure to post a pic of it after love the color of the car wish i still had mine orange fastback. What Shelby hood do you have now the one i have on my 65 before i forgot the hood pins fit great. Its a steel frame hood think it was a damaged item from mustangs plus so i got it for nothing. Was impressed with the fit tho everything lined up was just as good if not better fitting then the original hood i took off. Interested to see with this hood looks like on idk if i want another 65 Shelby style hood.

Quick Reply: Need help on fiberglass hoods