Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

decking the head?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 09:31 AM
MonsterBilly
4th Gear Member

This is one of the best set of heads you could put on a 289.

They are complete as well. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TFS-51400002/
Old 01-04-2012, 11:28 AM
oxfordbp
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by MonsterBilly
This is one of the best set of heads you could put on a 289.

They are complete as well. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TFS-51400002/
Isn't the cc too large at 61cc? Wouldnt that lower compression?
Old 01-04-2012, 11:43 AM
frdnut
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jojobanks
they're D4AE heads. So they have to be a 302 head rather than a 289.

Not hoping to precisely mimic an aftermarket head. I know that is impossible. But it's easy enough to mimic the port flow to an extent. I'd like to cram as big of valves as I can into there, but the reason I don't want to cut the pistons is because I don't have any others to replace them with as well as the fact that if I mess it up then I have to yank the whole motor to replace them. Too big of a PITA for the gains IMO. Considering the fact that I've never done this before, I fulley expect to screw it up the first time. That's why I'm planning to do this on a set of spare $50 I picked up. I don't mind trimming a little material off of the pistons if need be, but I would really rather avoid any real cutting.

From what I looked up on the heads the intake/exhaust ports are the same, the valve sizes are the same, but the chambers are 58.2cc instead of 49.2cc(hi-po heads). So in theory I should be able to shave off about 9ccs worth of chamber, but it all depends on what the bigger valves give me clearance for.

installing the screw in studs won't be a problem. i'm pretty good with tapping new threads. The info on the guide plates is well recieved though. I'm still debating whether or not to go with a hydraulic roller setup though.

From what i've seen as far as flow bench stats on ported 289 heads, you can get pretty good power out of the stock heads. Since i can't afford $1800 PLUS all the valvetrain components(most aftermarket heads I see only come with the valves already installed, some even completely bare. All the valvetrain you have to get yourself). Basically I'm looking at about a budget of around $25-2800 to get what I want with a set of aftermarket heads. Whereas I can go crazy with my stock heads and have to try real hard to break $1k as long as I do all my own cleaning, porting, and milling/decking.
It is almost impossible to thread the stud holes by hand..If they are even the slightest bit crooked it will mess up your valve train geometry..You need this done in a machine shop....For the average shade tree mechanic like most of us about all we can do is some basic porting of the heads..The rest has to be left to a machine shop and that is why it is so pricey to have the heads brought up even close to aftermarket standards.....I am not sure what aftermarket heads you have been looking at but around $1200 dollars will get you some nice heads brand new and complete...You can buy them bare for much less and buy your own springs etc to match the camshaft that you are running..If you watch around you can also pick up a set used for much cheaper as well..

Also are you sure you are running hipo heads?...The garden variety 289 heads were 54cc chambers which isn't quite so hard to get close to..

Here is a good article on milling heads...If you read towards the bottom it says a rule of thumb is about .007 milled off will net you about 1 cc..
http://www.crt-performance.com/compression.htm

Last edited by frdnut; 01-04-2012 at 12:00 PM.
Old 01-04-2012, 11:02 PM
jojobanks
2nd Gear Member

well the costs just keep adding up... I'm probably just going to end up going with a set of edelbrock rpm heads. i think in the end it's not going to cost much more and I'll be happier with the outcome. Although I'm going to mount them up and see how much valve clearance I have with them off the bat and see if I can get those combustion chambers a little smaller.

On the other hand I have a spare set of 302 heads that I can play with.
Old 01-04-2012, 11:38 PM
oxfordbp
3rd Gear Member

Try t find a set of 351 heads, I think the 69 ones are the way to go then do your port and polish, you will have to mill them down for compression.
Old 01-05-2012, 12:15 AM
jojobanks
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by oxfordbp
Try t find a set of 351 heads, I think the 69 ones are the way to go then do your port and polish, you will have to mill them down for compression.
I'd love to get my hands on a set of 70-71 4v cleveland heads, but from what i've seen of those I'd end up paying more for them than the edelbrocks.

Anyone have any idea what I would have to do to a 351c head to fit it on my 289?
Old 01-05-2012, 12:39 PM
frdnut
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jojobanks
I'd love to get my hands on a set of 70-71 4v cleveland heads, but from what i've seen of those I'd end up paying more for them than the edelbrocks.

Anyone have any idea what I would have to do to a 351c head to fit it on my 289?
It requires some machine work to the heads to get the coolant going to the right places....Unfortunately it also requires different pistons due to the canted valves in the boss/cleveland style heads....Definetly not a low buck swap if your shortblock is already built..

JoJo do you have any idea on your piston specs so we can try to figure out what size combustion chamber would work ok for you?

Last edited by frdnut; 01-05-2012 at 12:42 PM.
Old 01-05-2012, 01:00 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Simply hand porting a head is not a good idea IMO. I would personally take it to a shop with a flow meter to not only PP the head but match each Port on the heads to each other. Especially on a carbed. You can't compensate your A/F to each individual cylinder like you can with fuel injectors.
Old 01-05-2012, 02:57 PM
jojobanks
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Derf00
Simply hand porting a head is not a good idea IMO. I would personally take it to a shop with a flow meter to not only PP the head but match each Port on the heads to each other. Especially on a carbed. You can't compensate your A/F to each individual cylinder like you can with fuel injectors.
there are plenty of people who've ported the stock heads with success. The whole point of this was so I could try aggressively porting my own heads. I ported my current 289 heads awhile back with some good success. I deffinitely picked up some power and all cyls ran pretty close in temperature. Wanted to try decking my own head ever since I found a way to do it without a mill/huge belt sander. Mostly just looking for a learning experience more than anything. If I could do the port/milling without having to do the valve work first then I would still probably be doing this, but I don't want to put all that money into it just to find out I messed up the port work.

As it stands I'll probably just keep the stock valves in it and just mess with the port work. I'm gonna do a before and after flow bench test and if I end up with some good gains I'll probably just sell the heads to make up for what the flow testing and heads cost me.

It requires some machine work to the heads to get the coolant going to the right places....Unfortunately it also requires different pistons due to the canted valves in the boss/cleveland style heads....Definetly not a low buck swap if your shortblock is already built..

JoJo do you have any idea on your piston specs so we can try to figure out what size combustion chamber would work ok for you?
that sucks. The cleveland head specs look promising.

TBH, I don't know what cylinders I have. My uncle built the engine back when I was 15(10 years ago) and told me he used domed pistons when building the block. About a month ago a buddy of mine bought a video borescope and I checked it out by sticking it into my chamber through the spark plug hole. What I saw looked like a flat-top piston. I know the engine is .30 over because I remember going to the machine shop with him when I was younger and picking up the block. So I'm assuming I have standard flat-top pistons .30 over.

Last edited by jojobanks; 01-05-2012 at 03:05 PM.
Old 01-05-2012, 03:14 PM
jojobanks
2nd Gear Member

these are 302w heads

these are 351c 2v heads

the coolant ports are deff different. There's no way those valves will fit with my pistons. Thx for the info.

Looks like I'm still goin with edelbrock heads.

Quick Reply: decking the head?