Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

fox body rack & pinion on my 66

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 04:54 PM
MonsterBilly
4th Gear Member

Default fox body rack & pinion on my 66

I have a complete power steering set up from a fox body. Is it possible to adapt it to my 66. I want rack and linking but I want to save a little cash. I don't really have the 2k to spend.
Old 01-29-2012, 05:12 PM
jojobanks
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by MonsterBilly
I have a complete power steering set up from a fox body. Is it possible to adapt it to my 66. I want rack and linking but I want to save a little cash. I don't really have the 2k to spend.
It MAY be possible, bit it'll take some intuitive fabrication... First things off the top of my head are the brackets to bolt the rack into the factory crossmember's location. You may end up having to get a different steering column as well. Either aftermarket or possibly a fox body steering column if it'll work.
Old 01-29-2012, 11:10 PM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

It won't work the rack is a front steer where your mustang is a rear steer.The only factory racks that could work are like from a cavalier or taurus but both cars had sucky ratios too.
Old 01-29-2012, 11:12 PM
MonsterBilly
4th Gear Member

if i eliminate the power steering all together, will the car still be fairly easy to park?

Currently the new pump is leaking again and there is just too much slop in the wheel. It drives me nuts.

Everything in the car is new. even once i replaced everything and had it aligned by the best shop here in phoenix there was just too much slop in the wheel for me.

Will going manual tighten up the steering and give me better response and feel the the current power set up
Old 01-29-2012, 11:32 PM
jojobanks
2nd Gear Member

if i eliminate the power steering all together, will the car still be fairly easy to park?

Currently the new pump is leaking again and there is just too much slop in the wheel. It drives me nuts.

Everything in the car is new. even once i replaced everything and had it aligned by the best shop here in phoenix there was just too much slop in the wheel for me.

Will going manual tighten up the steering and give me better response and feel the the current power set up
If everything is new and aligned correctly then there should be hardly any slop. Do you have the stock steering wheel? if so, getting a smaller diameter steering wheel should help a lot. To me this sounds like you just want tighter and sportier steering response.

I hear you though, going from the steering in my evo x to the steering in my 70 mustang feels sloppy as heck and like I'm driving a boat, even though the steering in my mustang is as crisp as it could get. Converting to manual steering doesn't seem like a good answer to this though.
Old 01-30-2012, 12:38 AM
jp1967stang
2nd Gear Member

I went through this same thing wanted power steering for the lady. Do u have a drop bracket for headers? Thats were all of my problems came from everything was tight besides that kept ripping the nut inserts out and getting a small amount of flex out of it but it felt like the car was allover with that. I welded mine but then it started to crack the front rail a bit but it felt tight the whole time. I got rid of it all due to the pump went out and i just dont like power steering all that much.

I went to manual not to long ago and wish i would of done it sooner, im still running the power steering steering box and i have a much smaller steering wheel on the car, along with 16in 225 tires, on a slammed front end. The wheel is still pretty easy to turn not at all as bad as i though it would be. Can still drive with one hand on the wheel unless stopped. Even then tho its not that bad, the the second you start to move even at 2mph its easy to turn again.
Old 01-30-2012, 09:19 AM
MonsterBilly
4th Gear Member

What all do i need to do to convert it to manual steering?
Old 01-30-2012, 12:43 PM
JMD
6th Gear Member

IMO, assuming all ball joints, and bushings are tight, the slop you are experiencing will remain until you rebuild or replace the steering box, whether you go power or go manual.

If the box is new and adjusted properly, you should have very little if no slack in the wheel. Something somewhere ain't right.

Jim uses a R&P on his 66, I like it. Adapting a rack to your car might be possible, but you want to start with the right one, travel, width, and input shaft location will be key as to whether a particular R&P is adaptable to a specific application.

I THINK, most of the kits availavle are based on the Pinto/ Mustang II rack. Good mounting mimicking the exact location of the stock tie rod ends should work.
Old 01-30-2012, 03:26 PM
jp1967stang
2nd Gear Member

What all do i need to do to convert it to manual steering?
If i remember right it was just a drag link, and full driver side tie rod inner and outer and adjuster.

Steering box is also a good place to check for play with the car in the air and someone moving the wheel back and forth a tiny bit you should be able to track down what is causing your problems.
Old 01-31-2012, 03:15 PM
TheKid!!

I have heard of people retro-fitting Mustang II and Pinto steering setups before...

Quick Reply: fox body rack & pinion on my 66