Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Convert 2V to 4V using Edelbrock carb

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 10:11 AM
tdg01

Default Convert 2V to 4V using Edelbrock carb

OK, who out there is running an Edelbrock carb on they're 289? I have a '65 289 2V Auto trans Mustang. I have a Ford 4 barrel intake manifold from '66 and a 1403 500 cfm Edelbrock carb ready to install. My question is what else do I need for this application, spacer, linkage, lead for the electric choke, etc. My current 2 barrel manifold has a spacer, so I assume I will need one for the 4 barrel, any recommendations on how thick it should be? Do I need any additional linkage for the transmission kick down, throttle ,etc. I know I need a power source to the electric choke, do any vendors make on for this type of application?
Thank you, Tim
Old 03-02-2012, 07:07 PM
crunchyskippy
3rd Gear Member

Hi Tim - I switched out my 2 barrel for a 4 barrel Edelbrock 1406 (600 cfm) on my 302. In addition to the 4 barrel intake, you'll need a gasket sealer for the intake and a throttle linkage adapter. Edelbrock manufactures the adapters.

If I recall correctly, the 2 barrel spacer had a manifold vacuum port on it - which your new carb should have in it's base, therefore a spacer is not necessary. I don't currently run a spacer with my new setup. But I do have a spacer that I have never gotten to installing...so I can't say if it improves torque, etc...

Lastly, you can find a switched power source for the choke in a number of places. I use the starter solenoid - but that is sometimes discouraged as a source. Other sources are at the fuse block or ignition switch. Just be sure its a switched supply.

That should do it. One last thing, you'll have to pull the distributor, so take a picture of the rotor location prior to pulling it.

Good Luck.
Old 03-05-2012, 08:45 AM
tdg01

Default Convert 2V to 4V using Edelbrock carb Convert 2V to 4V

Hi, thanks for the info. I didn’t get any bikes on that tread, I assume many out there have make the switch, so I expected more banter. Anyway, Yes I’m well into it, pulled my old manifold, have the “new” one cleaned a ready to go on. The carb arrived Fri, I did get the spacer, it was only $15 bucks delivered so I’ll try it.

Under the manifold and valve covers was pretty ugly, lots of sludgy crap everywhere. I was surprised, the car only has 66K, but it sat for 25 years, I know that’s not good. So spent lots of time this weekend just cleaning, oh well.

Did you have a cable or rod throttle linkage originally? I was told I’d need the adaptor kit with an cable setup, but not the rod. Mine is rod.

So I have to ask, did you notice much of a difference, how does your car run now, are you happy with the setup?

Thanks again for the info,
Tim
Old 03-05-2012, 12:50 PM
scootchu
4th Gear Member

I have both a 302 and a 289 with 600 cfm Edelbrocks on them. The 289 was a stock 2 barrel and I replaced the intake with an Edelbrock RPM model. The carb is a 1406. The difference was very noticeable. One of those smile on your face moments when something actually goes right. That carb was right out of the box and I haven't screwed with it.

The 302 has the same carb and I brought it back to factory out of the box specs on a rebuilt 302. It runs fine, but needs some tuning.

For the linkage I chose to drill a small hole on the end of my accelerator rod and washer and cotter pinned it to the carb. If they sell a ready to go kit by all means buy it.
I am not running a spacer on either right now. I took the one off the 302 because it is warped a bit and I suspected it was causing a vacuum leak.

My power for the choke comes from the harness and I believe I am using the power that would have gone to my heater fan, which I don't have.
The other I am taking off the positive side of the ignition coil. Hasn't caused any problems yet. Don't think I would recommend it.