Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Plug weld cutting HELP

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 09:06 AM
palerider
4th Gear Member

I've had good luck with the blaire - I replaced a buch of panles (cowl, rockers, floor trunk drop, firewall, qtrs,etc.) and maybe used a 1/2 dozen bits- Mostly because I like to keep them sharp. Just buy a pack of replacements and you will be fine. Sounds like there are a lot of other good choices.
Old 03-10-2012, 10:12 AM
JMD
6th Gear Member

I just use drill bits.... 5/16" will get most spot welds, 3/8" will get most of the others...

I never saw much value in cutting around the spots when a new panel is going in anyway...
Old 03-10-2012, 07:01 PM
LynnBob Mustang
5th Gear Member

I've use Blaire's an have gone through only three bits doing tail light panel, trunk brace, rockers, quarters, floors pans, etc. and have good luck with them.

I'm not sure why a lot of you people have had bad luck with that style???
Lynn
Old 03-10-2012, 07:59 PM
OkBrent
1st Gear Member

You guys are behind the times...I have used those little cutters and they were slow and wore out fast. Do your self a favor a buy a Spot Weld Mill. This thing EATS up the weld fast with no pilot hole and you can set the depth so it only goes through the first panel. Has a ton of torque. Works Fast! One of the coolest tools I have. Brent

http://www.htpweld.com/products/auto.../index.htm#HTP Spot Mill

Old 03-10-2012, 09:10 PM
scootchu
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by OkBrent
You guys are behind the times...I have used those little cutters and they were slow and wore out fast. Do your self a favor a buy a Spot Weld Mill. This thing EATS up the weld fast with no pilot hole and you can set the depth so it only goes through the first panel. Has a ton of torque. Works Fast! One of the coolest tools I have. Brent

$249?! Wowee. I spent $28 for 4 bits and did all I needed to do.
Old 03-11-2012, 09:32 AM
mr_velocity
4th Gear Member

Damn, if I would have known about this 2 years ago there'd be one in my garage. I'm a sucker for great tools.
Old 03-11-2012, 02:45 PM
OkBrent
1st Gear Member

I Know its not cheap, but time can be money and this thing is fast and you don't have to grind down the weld that is left on the panel from the hole cutter, and its cool. I justify it because I will have it forever. Brent
Old 03-12-2012, 05:47 AM
dmaclaren
2nd Gear Member

I Know its not cheap, but time can be money and this thing is fast and you don't have to grind down the weld that is left on the panel from the hole cutter, and its cool. I justify it because I will have it forever. Brent
So I assume even though it speaks about spot welds, it will do the plug weld just as clean as the spot weld?
Old 03-12-2012, 09:01 AM
kenash
2nd Gear Member

Hi,
I'll offer this, I tried all of the aforementioned cutters and found the best to be "Roto-Broach" by Blue Diamond, a provider to Snap-On. They are hole circle cutters with a center locating pin. They come in a kit ranging in size from 3/8s to 3/4"s. I've cut hundreds of plug welds and are still use today. I paid about $90 10 years ago.
Just an alternative.
Old 03-12-2012, 01:21 PM
groho
4th Gear Member

I too have used various bits, found Blair to be the most convenient, easiest to locate replacement bits, but has a tendancy to break teeth, fix that by not pressing so hard. The other bits are very nice, but pricey. My S&H only lasted 40-50 cuts before dulling, and had a tendency to cut too deep. Alway center punch the weld before you cut, it prevents the bit from travelling. I agree with Kenash, the Rotabroach is probably the best. Only prob, you likely have to order it.