Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Door Hinge Adjustment!

Old 03-26-2012, 10:48 AM
Zombiebrew
1st Gear Member

Default Door Hinge Adjustment!

So since i bought my Mustang a few months ago i've notice a rubbing noise every time i opened the passenger side door. I thought it was just a squeeky hinge until i inspected it closer last week. The door is actually rubbing on the front fender. Easy fix...just adjust the fender forward an eighth of an inch........or not!

The fender is as far forward as it would go and actually should be brought back an eighth of an inch or so. The door has a decent gap between the rear fender when closed so i thought i would just adjust the door with a couple of washers.......or not!

I tried it and it worked.....sort of....i nailed the spacing but i don't like the play in the hinges with just a couple of flimsy washers making the hinge sit unevenly. So here's my questions....do they make shims? 1/8th or 1/4 inch metal sheets with the same shape and hole pattern as the bracket? If not i will have to fabricate my own. Now a huge deal but rather inconvienent.
Old 03-27-2012, 10:57 AM
Zombiebrew
1st Gear Member

Okay so i figgured out why no one posted to this thread. Because it's ridiculas!!!! I'm such a moron. I'm going to turn in my set of wrenches. Looks like the hinge works differently than i originally thought. I was adjusting the wrong side.

But in my defense, because of the post in the middle of my garage i couldn't open the door all the way and the old desk lamp i was trying to use for light didn't help me. But i guess i figgured it out and no need to reinvent the wheel while doing it.......oh well.
Old 03-27-2012, 11:06 AM
Coupe
3rd Gear Member

We have all been there, some just dont post about it LOL.
Old 03-27-2012, 02:48 PM
Zombiebrew
1st Gear Member

haha at least i'm not doing it with a high dollar car.
Old 08-24-2012, 01:44 PM
MrMustangInc
Former Sponsor

Mr Mustang makes a most excellent door hinge repair kit and it includes everything to rebuild your old hinge, even the hardened plate that the door pivots on. The best on the market. Rebuilding your old hinge is much better than the flimsy aftermarket hinges out there. See it at mrmustangparts.com under door parts.