Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

1967 Fastback 347 stroker headers question??

Old 05-18-2012, 06:05 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

Headers that fit and don't leak are amazing,But i have tried my share of cheap ones that leaked or didn't fit.
Old 05-19-2012, 04:21 PM
67fastbackgreen

Originally Posted by synthartist69
Just for the thread, I installed a set of Mac long tubes on my 65 and they fit great! I have completely changed my opinion about headers now that these have been on my 347 for a year now!
Nice, I didn't want to do any of the mods required to run long tubes. I just got done wrapping my shortys. I'm hoping to have the engine and tranny in tonight, although it might be another week or so before it runs. The power steering bracket broke from the serpentine system that's on it, now I have to have one made...
Old 05-19-2012, 05:03 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

Wrapping? Why are you wrapping them? You realize that voids the warranty and will ruin any finish that's on them, right?
Old 05-20-2012, 07:49 PM
synthartist69
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 67fastbackgreen
Nice, I didn't want to do any of the mods required to run long tubes. I just got done wrapping my shortys. I'm hoping to have the engine and tranny in tonight, although it might be another week or so before it runs. The power steering bracket broke from the serpentine system that's on it, now I have to have one made...
Believe it or not, I did not have to make any modifications to run the mac long tubes! They do not hang too low either, they are great all around. I am really surprised that they are not very popular, or known about. I have power steering and a factory Zbar for the clutch, no problems.

The headers that were on the car when I originally bought it were some type of cheap long tubes that were wrapped. They leaked like crazy at the flange and at the head. I tried everything to stop the leaks, everything! I got so frustrated that I pulled those off and put on HIPO manifolds. I was so happy to have those headers off the car. The wrap was also deteriorating and the headers were rusting under the wrap!

When I built the 347 a year ago, I came to the conclusion that I had to put headers back on the car or I would be defeating the purpose of installing a stroker or HIPO engine of this caliber. I searched, and searched, and searched some more until I decided to take a gamble on the mac long tubes. They were only about 350.00 a pair if I remember correctly but everyone said they fit like a glove. I was very skeptical since few people were talking about them or using them or had even heard of them. These are also ceramic coated. If they ever need replaced, which will likely be a decade from now or maybe longer, I will put the same ones back on....
Old 05-20-2012, 07:51 PM
synthartist69
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by synthartist69
Believe it or not, I did not have to make any modifications to run the mac long tubes! They do not hang too low either, they are great all around. I am really surprised that they are not very popular, or known about. I have power steering and a factory Zbar for the clutch, no problems.

The headers that were on the car when I originally bought it were some type of cheap long tubes that were wrapped. They leaked like crazy at the flange and at the head. I tried everything to stop the leaks, everything! I got so frustrated that I pulled those off and put on HIPO manifolds. I was so happy to have those headers off the car. The wrap was also deteriorating and the headers were rusting under the wrap!

When I built the 347 a year ago, I came to the conclusion that I had to put headers back on the car or I would be defeating the purpose of installing a stroker or HIPO engine of this caliber. I searched, and searched, and searched some more until I decided to take a gamble on the mac long tubes. They were only about 350.00 a pair if I remember correctly but everyone said they fit like a glove. I was very skeptical since few people were talking about them or using them or had even heard of them. These are also ceramic coated. If they ever need replaced, which will likely be a decade from now or maybe longer, I will put the same ones back on....
But, I do remember having to slightly notch the bell housing in one place.
Old 05-20-2012, 11:28 PM
67fastbackgreen

Originally Posted by Starfury
Wrapping? Why are you wrapping them? You realize that voids the warranty and will ruin any finish that's on them, right?
Wrapping your headers reduces the amount of heat in your engine bay. I got the standard headers that don't have chrome or powdercoating. And besides, I like the look. Also, not to concerned about the warranty, that's why God created Craigslist!

And for the other fellow, synthartist69, I'm amazed you long tubes fit! I've heard nothing but mods for those. That's awesome. I think I'll be happy with the Jba shortys I have, I've been told they are great. I just hope I torqued them down enough, some of those bolts were really hard to get to! I put them on yesterday, they fit perfect! Some of the bolts were a b!tch, but the headers lined up perfect.

Today I attemped to put the engine in, it didn't fit. The oil pan was hitting the steering. I put on the 67 oil pan and it didn't clear the stroker kit. Frustrated, I turned to good old Google, there I learned of the 8 quart Milodon front sump pan. As luck would have it, my friend actually has one for sale!! Should have the engine in tomorrow night!!

Last edited by 67fastbackgreen; 05-20-2012 at 11:30 PM.
Old 05-21-2012, 08:28 AM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

Ah, they're a CL pair. Makes more sense. Also, I've never seen a set of JBA's that weren't ceramic coated. Wrapping headers will quickly destroy any kind of coating on the outside, but if you don't care about that, have at
Old 05-21-2012, 10:20 AM
67fastbackgreen

Originally Posted by Starfury
Ah, they're a CL pair. Makes more sense. Also, I've never seen a set of JBA's that weren't ceramic coated. Wrapping headers will quickly destroy any kind of coating on the outside, but if you don't care about that, have at
I bought them brand new through Amazon, they aren't powdercoated. My reference to Craigslist was me saying I can just sell them if they get rusty...
Old 05-21-2012, 11:47 PM
eZ
5th Gear Member

Cool air needs to be around the header, and insulating it with a wrap to hold exhaust heat in makes the header material temperatures near molten. When you wrap the header you trap the heat in the header, but also in the material that needs to breathe to dissipate heat for it's own survival. They are not used anymore. They destroy headers and the header gaskets quickly!

I have a pair of JBA shorties that are jethot coated inside and out I could have sold you. saw this post too late.
Old 05-22-2012, 12:09 PM
67fastbackgreen

Originally Posted by eZ
Cool air needs to be around the header, and insulating it with a wrap to hold exhaust heat in makes the header material temperatures near molten. When you wrap the header you trap the heat in the header, but also in the material that needs to breathe to dissipate heat for it's own survival. They are not used anymore. They destroy headers and the header gaskets quickly!

I have a pair of JBA shorties that are jethot coated inside and out I could have sold you. saw this post too late.
Well, if they get toasted, I will buy your set. I heard good things about wrapping headers, that's why I did...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1967 Fastback 347 stroker headers question??