Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

pcv install questions (ghetto pics)

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 11:03 PM
rusty65
1st Gear Member

Default pcv install questions (ghetto pics)

Hey guys,

I've been searching online for the past few days for info on installing a pcv valve on the 1989 302 HO I've put in my 65 coupe, and can only find posts regarding why its a good idea to install one or stock 5.0's with efi. My dilemma is that my carb has a pcv port on the front passenger side (pic), but I've only got 1 input/hose attachment point on my valve covers (pic). So, my question is, do I route the pcv line from the front of my carb to the rear of my intake manifold where there is a 5/8" or so threaded hole that I need to stuff with a pcv valve (currently filled with a metal plug, see pic) and leave the port on my pass. side valve cover open as a breather (need to stick a filter of some sort on there?), or do I just run the line straight from my carb to the port on my valve cover, leave the plug in my manifold, and run without a breather? Kinda seems to me that running without a breather isn't the best of ideas, but then again....
Old 07-02-2012, 11:06 PM
rusty65
1st Gear Member

Forgot the pics

http://www.americanmuscle.com/valvecovers-8693.html

On the carb, the pcv is the center vacuum port (as you guys prolly already know).
For the intake, the hole isnt visible from the top, but you can see where it runs on the pic of the bottom side and the plug thats currently in it on the bottom right.
And i couldnt get the valve covers to show up, so theres just a link

Last edited by rusty65; 07-02-2012 at 11:09 PM.
Old 07-03-2012, 06:29 AM
kenash
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by rusty65
Hey guys,

I've been searching online for the past few days for info on installing a pcv valve on the 1989 302 HO I've put in my 65 coupe, and can only find posts regarding why its a good idea to install one or stock 5.0's with efi. My dilemma is that my carb has a pcv port on the front passenger side (pic), but I've only got 1 input/hose attachment point on my valve covers (pic). So, my question is, do I route the pcv line from the front of my carb to the rear of my intake manifold where there is a 5/8" or so threaded hole that I need to stuff with a pcv valve (currently filled with a metal plug, see pic) and leave the port on my pass. side valve cover open as a breather (need to stick a filter of some sort on there?), or do I just run the line straight from my carb to the port on my valve cover, leave the plug in my manifold, and run without a breather? Kinda seems to me that running without a breather isn't the best of ideas, but then again....

Hi,
I am not seeing your dilemma. The PCV routing should go from the PCV port off the card to a PCV valve mounted in a rubber plug located in the pass. side rear V/C. The left front V/C opening is for adding oil and for breathing. What am I missing? Now, if you want to run a closed system, that's another deal.
Old 07-03-2012, 10:34 AM
gjz30075
2nd Gear Member

Ken, what I see is the particular valve covers he linked to, doesn't have a pcv hole. I think that's his problem. Rusty.,., you'll have to make a hole with a baffle underneath, or change v/c

Greg
Old 07-03-2012, 11:01 AM
kenash
2nd Gear Member

Yes Greg, I see that now. Thanks for pointing that out.
Then, I would look at plumbing an inline PCV valve to that port off the filler tube, else cut a hole? At any rate, there should be a PCV valve.
Old 07-03-2012, 12:23 PM
rusty65
1st Gear Member

Ok, thanks guys.

So if I was going to run an inline pcv valve (dont want to cut a hole in my valve covers unless I absolutely have to) would it just go from the port on the filler tube to the carb and leave it at that? Nothing else needs to be done to accommodate the inline pcv?

And if that doesnt work out for whatever reason, what would be involved in moding the valve covers? Would I just simply have to cut the right size diameter hole in a spot in the valve cover thats not directly over a rocker, fit in a grommet, then pop in a stock pcv valve? Im primarily worried about any necessary baffling, what would that require?

TIA
Old 07-03-2012, 02:51 PM
jlg2002
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by rusty65
Ok, thanks guys.

So if I was going to run an inline pcv valve (dont want to cut a hole in my valve covers unless I absolutely have to) would it just go from the port on the filler tube to the carb and leave it at that? Nothing else needs to be done to accommodate the inline pcv?

And if that doesnt work out for whatever reason, what would be involved in moding the valve covers? Would I just simply have to cut the right size diameter hole in a spot in the valve cover thats not directly over a rocker, fit in a grommet, then pop in a stock pcv valve? Im primarily worried about any necessary baffling, what would that require?

TIA
When I was "smoggin" cars back in the 70's I used to retrofit/install PCV systems and the best place for the crankcase pickup is to put it is on an oil fill tube so that you don't need air/oil separator baffling in your valve covers or use covers that have a baffled opening. If you just drill a hole in your covers, you stand a pretty good chance of creating an ongoing oil leak you'll have to contend with. the closed system hose if you choose to use one should go to the air cleaner and its usually best to have a seperate filter for that port
Old 07-03-2012, 03:04 PM
kenash
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jlg2002
When I was "smoggin" cars back in the 70's I used to retrofit/install PCV systems and the best place for the crankcase pickup is to put it is on an oil fill tube so that you don't need air/oil separator baffling in your valve covers or use covers that have a baffled opening. If you just drill a hole in your covers, you stand a pretty good chance of creating an ongoing oil leak you'll have to contend with. the closed system hose if you choose to use one should go to the air cleaner and its usually best to have a seperate filter for that port
+1, all good ideas.
Old 07-03-2012, 04:22 PM
rusty65
1st Gear Member

Yeah, im going to try and stick with the inline pcv idea.

What im picturing is just a rubber hose from the fitting on the oil filler tube on the pass. side valve cover running to the pcv port on the front of my carb with an inline pcv valve hose clamped in the middle somewhere.

That right? Or do I need to add a filter as well as the pcv valve? And should it go between the carb and pcv valve or the valve cover and the pcv valve?

Valve Cover fitting ===tube===[inline pcv valve]===tube==={carb pcv port}
versus
VC====filter====pcv====carb
versus
VC=====pcv===filter====carb
?
Old 07-03-2012, 04:24 PM
rusty65
1st Gear Member

Also for the closed system, how would i run the line to my air cleaner? Would I have to buy a special air cleaner assembly set up that has a fitting to accept a hose run to it? And then what about the pcv port on the front of my carb? Just plug it?

Quick Reply: pcv install questions (ghetto pics)