Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

'65 Coupe Father and Son Project

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 08:09 PM
rbowmar
2nd Gear Member

I don't want to sound like I am dumping on your project because I know how special it can be. As I have said, my son and I now have a wonderful 72 Mach1 we built together.

That said, You may want to consider what you would do if your child/children abandoned the project entirely as my son did. You don't want to come out of the experience with either of you resenting each other.

From your pictures you have a great couple of kids, but no one can predict what a teenager will do before they are grown and out of the house. That wonderful bond between parent and child took precedence over finishing the car. I was frustrated at the slow-down in progress and found the project less enjoyable when doing it solo.

At about 20, he came back and took over the project, spending substantial time and money to bring the car to completion. Ultimately a very successful and satisfying experience!

Good luck!
Old 10-03-2012, 07:09 AM
55's 65
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by rbowmar
I don't want to sound like I am dumping on your project because I know how special it can be. As I have said, my son and I now have a wonderful 72 Mach1 we built together.

That said, You may want to consider what you would do if your child/children abandoned the project entirely as my son did. You don't want to come out of the experience with either of you resenting each other.

From your pictures you have a great couple of kids, but no one can predict what a teenager will do before they are grown and out of the house. That wonderful bond between parent and child took precedence over finishing the car. I was frustrated at the slow-down in progress and found the project less enjoyable when doing it solo.

At about 20, he came back and took over the project, spending substantial time and money to bring the car to completion. Ultimately a very successful and satisfying experience!

Good luck!
They're kids and I fully expect there excitement and involvement in the project to go through phases! Right now it's fun, pressure washing when it's over 100 degrees out! I know I will be doing most and sometimes all of the work and I'm ok with it!
Old 10-03-2012, 09:11 AM
lil bull

I would say you options are replace the roof or cut out all the bad metal and replace it with new. After welding in patches and grinding them down it should appear seamless.
Old 10-03-2012, 06:38 PM
rbowmar
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 55's 65
I want to strip all the paint and surface coating from the frame and underneath! What do you guys use? I have a 6.5hp/60gal compressor and I'm pretty sure it will power either method but what's better, whats less messy and what's cheaper? Thx, Jim
For specific technical questions like this, I suggest you start a new thread with a descriptive title--then the experts on this topic can help out.

Good luck!
Old 10-03-2012, 06:40 PM
rbowmar
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 55's 65
They're kids and I fully expect there excitement and involvement in the project to go through phases! Right now it's fun, pressure washing when it's over 100 degrees out! I know I will be doing most and sometimes all of the work and I'm ok with it!
The pictures alone are priceless! Thanks for sharing them with us!

All the best!
Old 10-07-2012, 09:17 PM
55's 65
1st Gear Member

I may need to change the name of this thread to Father and Daughter Project! My daughter loves working on this car! Her and her friends were in the car last night till after 10pm then a good 6+ hours today!
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 10-07-2012, 09:30 PM
55's 65
1st Gear Member

I am still disassembling! Seems like I've been taking parts off for over 2 months now! Today was HUGE! I got the windshield out and most of the front suspension! I can really only commit to a day and a half a week to the car so I guess I am doing ok! I woke up a 4:30 this morning and started on the car and put in about 14 hours today!

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 10-07-2012, 09:38 PM
55's 65
1st Gear Member

I went to Harbor Freight last night and bought 3 DA Sanders (one for me and one for each of my kids!) and a bunch of different sandpaper and a brand new Media Blaster!! So excited!

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 10-07-2012, 11:25 PM
96Supedupstang

congratulations!! My father and I have restored numerous vehicles from cleanings to full on body off restorations!! I'm 21 now and my father is 53, both of us have mustangs now of our own and we still love getting together and breaking stuff in the garage and swearing about, then running to the parts store lol
best advice, buy air tools, they make everything quicker and just a little more fun, and the chiltons book if you can find it!
Good luck bud, and I hope your whole family enjoys this build as much my family enjoyed ours!
Old 10-08-2012, 05:56 PM
rbowmar
2nd Gear Member

You are making great progress! Just go at the rate that feels good and you will get there. If she keeps working hard on this one, you may just have to do another Mustang for your daughter!<G>

Quick Reply: '65 Coupe Father and Son Project