Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

steering problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2005, 09:30 PM
kallador

Default steering problem

hey all need some info have a 1965 coupe the steering wheel has some play in her, is there a way to adjust this play outta the steering ??? . i noticed in the haynes manual there is a selctor shaft adjustment screw and lock nut on the steering gear box, is this where it's done ??. the bushings seem ok all intact kinda cracked nothing is loose when i grab it. after 1st of yr the front end gets rebuilt anyways so is there a way or do i need to have this gear box rebuilt or replaced. if need replaced will a steering gear box and steering colum and such just bolt up off a 1967 coupe ??? have a 67 sitting w/some minor front end damage no engine tranny in trunk lol. thx for any and all help
Old 09-28-2005, 09:53 PM
tylerdru
4th Gear Member

Default RE: steering problem

I have this problem. Theres a way to fix it without a new steering column lets just sit back and wait for the answer!
Old 09-28-2005, 10:43 PM
nualln
3rd Gear Member

All old Steering gear boxes had built in play. There is a screw to tighten it down, but it just makes it worse and can cause "sticking" in the steering which is no fun. There are two ways to deal with this if you really really want to:

1: flaming river makes a steering gear box that is miles ahead of the old ford ones. From what I hear, it has very little play in it. It's about 500 bucks.

2: for 1500 bucks you can get a rack and pinion unit from flaming river or Total Control Products. Its awesome but it's a bit expensive and difficult to instal if you dont have a lift.

The reason there is play is because of the differences in design between the old worm gear and the rack and pinion system in newer cars (the 1974 mustangII was the first car to have rack and pinion steering)

Worm gear:

As you can see, it begins with a small amount of play, but the teeth on the main brush wear out a lot faster than a rack and pinion gear:

Hope this helps.
Old 09-28-2005, 11:01 PM
redstallion
2nd Gear Member

that's good info especially with the pics...

my car also has too much play, but i'm used to it...someday i may get the new box from flaming river
Old 09-28-2005, 11:01 PM
Cogtx
3rd Gear Member

nualln...good job on the info and animation. My '67 has about 3" play on either side. Will just live with it for now...
Old 09-28-2005, 11:04 PM
nualln
3rd Gear Member

Yeah, 1-3 inches is normal. My gearbox has been tightened as tight as it can get and probably needs to be replaced in the future. Every once and a while Ill have a problem where the steering wheel feels kind of sticky, like it's grinding up against the worm gear. It's annoying, but if I turn the wheel back and forth a few times it loosens up and goes away.
Old 09-28-2005, 11:07 PM
tylerdru
4th Gear Member

I think i can live with a little play. Its not that bad when im driving it. Ohh okay ive got about 2.5 inches of play imgood.[8D]
Old 09-29-2005, 12:38 AM
kallador

right on thx guess i'll try and tighten down the screw see if that helps i have about 5 inchs play to much. if need be i'll get another gear box, so my 1967 gear box wont work ??? as a interchange if so i can use from steering wheel down to including gearbox my 67 has like no play in it
Old 09-29-2005, 12:40 AM
nualln
3rd Gear Member

It depends on if the 67 has a collapsable steering column. In 1967, the government mandated collapsable steering columns, but prior to that the early 67's and before had the steering box and shaft as one unit.
Old 09-29-2005, 04:41 AM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Until you get a new steering box, you can tighten down your current box, but there is a procedure. Turn the steering all the way to the left. Loosen the retaing nut, and with a screw driver, turn the screw clockwise just enough so that it rubs, then back off a tad. Tighten down the retaining nut.

Quick Reply: steering problem