Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Floor Panel Choices with a huge price difference - what am I missing?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2013, 10:13 PM
NCLee

Default Floor Panel Choices with a huge price difference - what am I missing?

Hi, I'm new here. I said "hi" in the new users area, where I put up a picture of the car I'll be working on.

It's a '68 Fastback, which has been in an airplane hangar for years, but I know the floor panels are rusted through in a few places. The rest of the car is pretty good.

One of the first things I want to do is have a shop weld on a new floor panel, so I can give it some strength before I move it to my house. I see there are right side + left side floor pans for about $100 each, and then there are "full" floor panels for about $400 each. The full panel seems like it's worth the extra money, because the center section is included, and better rigidity (Although I'm sure the freight is pricey ).

I've also seen this one in a few places:

(part number 3648TWT on most sites) which is somehow $2,600!!!

Is there some essential quality that makes the short trunk extension necessary for $2,200? Or is this just some weird part that isn't in line with what most places charge?
Old 03-24-2013, 08:31 AM
1st Gear Member

with out actually seeing any details on that one the one i looked at had all the sub frame parts and such were the floor pan is just the floors none of the sub structure
Old 03-24-2013, 08:37 AM
NCLee

1970, that sounds like a good idea to get all of the parts together. Do you recall where you found that? In most cases on this car, I know it's going to be easier for me to get combination kits, so I don't miss parts I'll need.
Old 03-24-2013, 08:52 AM
1st Gear Member

i think it was cj pony not sure anymore i allways ck severl places compare not only the price but shiping and how many points i get from cj so that floor would get ya 2600 points
Old 03-24-2013, 09:57 AM
Coupe
3rd Gear Member

There is an active thread right now on another forum about the full chassis pan install ( the one with the frame rails) and its kind of a big deal to do.

I did a flp8 from cj and it fit perfectly and I would buy another one. I would avoid the long repair section panels at all costs, those really can ruin a car because most guys can't install them properly.
Old 03-24-2013, 10:26 AM
NCLee

Oh I see! So it appears the $2,600 part includes the Frame Rails, while the $400 part does not. I see a better view of the expensive one on CJ Pony:

I assume those are the frame rails along the bottom?

They call it FLP20WT on CJ Pony.

I thought it was way too much money for only including the additional trunk section.

Is there any compelling difference between the 3648C 3648C and the FLP8 FLP8?

Coupe, Do you have a link to that thread about the job? Learning from the challenges others can only help.
Old 03-24-2013, 04:22 PM
Coupe
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by NCLee
Oh I see! So it appears the $2,600 part includes the Frame Rails, while the $400 part does not. I see a better view of the expensive one on CJ Pony:
I assume those are the frame rails along the bottom?

They call it FLP20WT on CJ Pony.

I thought it was way too much money for only including the additional trunk section.

Is there any compelling difference between the 3648C 3648C and the FLP8 FLP8?

Coupe, Do you have a link to that thread about the job? Learning from the challenges others can only help.
I used the FLP8 because CJ was not a dealer of much Dynacorn at the time. But after doing a bunch of digging, from what I can tell they may in fact be the same thing but with different branding. Dynacorn does not really make these things AFIK, they just purchase with a strict set of Quality requirements I guess. Either way that FLP8 was a heavy floor and I like it.

If your rear frames and rear crossmember are good then I would not try and change the entire chassis on a car, it looks like it sux to do.

Here is a link to that thread.

Name:  IMG00394-20110330-1844.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  54.4 KB
Old 03-24-2013, 10:20 PM
NCLee

Thanks, Coupe. Great info!
Old 03-26-2013, 11:00 AM
Al Newman
2nd Gear Member

Loacte someone to do the work for you AND provide the necessary replacement pans. They are in a better position to know what the job will require.
Best,
Al
Old 03-26-2013, 01:33 PM
Coupe
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Al Newman
Loacte someone to do the work for you AND provide the necessary replacement pans. They are in a better position to know what the job will require.
Best,
Al
Not unless they are really knowledgeable about classic mustangs, and even then we can find youtube "How To" videos of a So called doctor of mustangs that shows everyone how NOT to do it. I have found very few shops that do this kinda stuff right. Now, the Shelby guys on the other hand...

Quick Reply: Floor Panel Choices with a huge price difference - what am I missing?