Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Severe motor vibration in neutral or driving.

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 10:13 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

there is no 50 ounce crank for a 351...(not unless its some custom aftermarket setup) im wondering if you just have a bent rod
Old 05-15-2013, 10:44 AM
BBFan

Are 50 ounce and 28 ounce crankshafts interchangeable? Next step is to pull the engine. I also checked on the 4 and 7 firing order swap I read about in the Pantera forum.
Old 05-15-2013, 12:40 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

there isnt a 50 ounce crank for a 351(unless its aftermartket) all 351 clevelands and W had a 28 ounce crank...
Old 05-16-2013, 01:37 PM
BBFan

Do you know what is the position of the flexplate imbalance weight in relation to TDC. I know the flexplates and flywheels are made so they can be installed in only one position but this may have been altered. Thanks for your time and information.

Little Trivia info: I have two friends back in Ohio that bought two cars new in 1969. They still own the cars and don't drive them. One is a 1969 Mustang Fastback with 13,000 original miles original owner. This car had a mild front end collision in 69 and was parked and not moved since then. The other is a 69 Camaro with 45,000 original miles original owner. . It has been sitting in a barn for the last 35 years.

Last edited by BBFan; 05-16-2013 at 01:45 PM.
Old 05-16-2013, 02:25 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Have you checked the basics first, i.e. motor mounts? Loose or jacked up motor mounts/tranny mount will have similar vibration....

Would hate to see the OP tear everything apart only to find out it's a simple motormount. Remember, the seller said he thinks it's a driveline vibration...no other details provided.
Old 05-16-2013, 06:15 PM
BBFan

Originally Posted by Derf00
Have you checked the basics first, i.e. motor mounts? Loose or jacked up motor mounts/tranny mount will have similar vibration....

Would hate to see the OP tear everything apart only to find out it's a simple motormount. Remember, the seller said he thinks it's a driveline vibration...no other details provided.

Tried everything. Lifted motor with jack and tested mounts, same with transmission mounts. Vibration is definite and at raised RPMs. The weight on the flexplate is 180 degrees out of sync with the weight on the harmonic balancer. Is that the correct orientation. I have been searching and can't find a direct reference to where the weights are in relation to each other.

Are the weights on the balancer and flex plate in the same clocked index position ?
Old 05-16-2013, 11:31 PM
BBFan

Starting to remove transmission. Unbolted torque converter and it easily rotated. For some reason the alignment dowels were removed. Rotated engine by hand more than one full revolution. No interference so I started the engine. Ran the engine up and down operating RPMs. No vibration. I suspect misalignment, probably damaged flex plate and damaged torque convertor, maybe damaged input shafts and bad bearings. Thanks for all the time, consideration and sharing of expertise. Thanks.
Old 05-17-2013, 11:06 AM
BBFan

Have to put off removing the transmission until after Memorial Day. Any ideas why there are no pins to align the torque converter to the flex plate? Must have been some problem for them to do that. When I tried to move the troque converter away from the flex palte there was almost no preceivable movement back into the transmission. If there had been pins it would have been impossible to rotate the torque converter independent of the flex plate.
Old 05-17-2013, 02:41 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

the snout of the toque converter and the bolts align the converter into the flexplate on a ford small block
Old 05-19-2013, 11:40 PM
BBFan

Originally Posted by rmodel65
the snout of the toque converter and the bolts align the converter into the flexplate on a ford small block
Thanks for the info. Are there supposed to be pins going through the flex plate and converter? If there are, are they for alignment or more for transmitting force from the flexplate to the converter?

Quick Reply: Severe motor vibration in neutral or driving.