67 Mustang header question - MustangForums.com

Go Back  MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > Classic Mustangs (Tech)
Reload this Page >

67 Mustang header question

Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

67 Mustang header question

Reply

 
 
 
Old 08-07-2013, 11:02 PM
  #1  
Juturna67
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: CA
Posts: 19
Default 67 Mustang header question

I have a 302 on my 67 and from what I can tell, it has the original headers. What kind of headers can I get that should require no alterations?
Juturna67 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 11:10 PM
  #2  
67mustang302
6th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: California
Posts: 10,468
Default

None.

Any headers will require some sort of exhaust modification.

What do you want out of the car, like how do you intend to use it? For instance, I prefer handling and autox/open track etc, so I run JBA mid/shorty for ground clearance to set my suspension where I want.
67mustang302 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 11:29 PM
  #3  
Juturna67
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: CA
Posts: 19
Default

Originally Posted by 67mustang302 View Post
None.

Any headers will require some sort of exhaust modification.

What do you want out of the car, like how do you intend to use it? For instance, I prefer handling and autox/open track etc, so I run JBA mid/shorty for ground clearance to set my suspension where I want.
I use it mainly on my days off and weekends. I don't plan on taking it to the track or anything like that but it would be nice if it handled well.

Last edited by Juturna67; 08-07-2013 at 11:37 PM.
Juturna67 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 12:06 AM
  #4  
67mustang302
6th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: California
Posts: 10,468
Default

Define handles well?

And how much is ground clearance an issue for you, and how much do you have to spend?
67mustang302 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 02:14 AM
  #5  
Juturna67
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: CA
Posts: 19
Default

Originally Posted by 67mustang302 View Post
Define handles well?

And how much is ground clearance an issue for you, and how much do you have to spend?
I want to be able to drive it on the streets and freeways safely. I don't want it low to the ground so its easier to perform maintenance. Like I said, I don't plan on hitting 100+ on a free way or track. Also, thanks for replying. I appreciate the help. I'm on a budget so anywhere from 250-400.
Juturna67 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 11:07 AM
  #6  
frdnut
2nd Gear Member
 
frdnut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Ontario
Posts: 493
Default

That is a pretty easy setup to get headers for. If you have power steering most long tube headers will require you to use a drop bracket for your power steering ram. You need to make sure you keep the bolts tight where it bolts to the frame or these can cause problems.Some people just weld in in place after bolting them up..Personally I never had any issues with mine coming lose.
Getting back to fitment of the headers make sure you read all of the foot notes supplied by the manufacturer..They will tell you what eng/trans they work with etc...
frdnut is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 10:17 PM
  #7  
Juturna67
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: CA
Posts: 19
Default

Originally Posted by frdnut View Post
That is a pretty easy setup to get headers for. If you have power steering most long tube headers will require you to use a drop bracket for your power steering ram. You need to make sure you keep the bolts tight where it bolts to the frame or these can cause problems.Some people just weld in in place after bolting them up..Personally I never had any issues with mine coming lose.
Getting back to fitment of the headers make sure you read all of the foot notes supplied by the manufacturer..They will tell you what eng/trans they work with etc...
I was thinking of going with some mid length or shorty's. I was looking on summitracing.com. Do any of you know of any other websites that are similar to summit?
Juturna67 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 10:21 PM
  #8  
frdnut
2nd Gear Member
 
frdnut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Ontario
Posts: 493
Default

Originally Posted by Juturna67 View Post
I was thinking of going with some mid length or shorty's. I was looking on summitracing.com. Do any of you know of any other websites that are similar to summit?
Not sure what it is you are looking for but you can check out Jegs which is somewhat similar.. Can I ask why you are wanting to change your manifolds to headers?..Personally I would use long tubes or I wouldn't bother.
frdnut is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 10:43 PM
  #9  
Juturna67
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: CA
Posts: 19
Default

Originally Posted by frdnut View Post
Not sure what it is you are looking for but you can check out Jegs which is somewhat similar.. Can I ask why you are wanting to change your manifolds to headers?..Personally I would use long tubes or I wouldn't bother.
Is there a benefit to having long tubes?
Juturna67 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 12:47 AM
  #10  
67mustang302
6th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: California
Posts: 10,468
Default

They generally perform better, particularly at higher rpm. Not really gonna do much on a stock engine though. LT's that fit nice can be expensive.
67mustang302 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply
 
 
 
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
91StangOwner
5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang
5
08-20-2015 11:34 PM
ding56
Classic Mustangs (Tech)
3
08-14-2015 02:40 AM
Valkdriver
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions
2
08-13-2015 08:57 AM
daytooday
Motor Swap Section
2
08-11-2015 09:22 AM
MustangForums Editor
Mustang News, Concepts, Rumors & Discussion
0
08-10-2015 02:02 PM

Forum Jump

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Advertising
Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory