Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

66 re-wire

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2014, 08:31 PM
LynnBob Mustang
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by groho
A well known autowiring shop in town gave me the best advise. He sees more Painless, AAW, and Ron Morris DIYs than you can imagine. Unless you know what you're doing, avoid them. Use an OEM color coded, with appropriate connectors to do your rewire. Its a plug and play scenario. THe big three previously mentioned ARE NOT plug and play or do not color match OEM regardless what they advertise. If you plan to add A/C, Injection, Stereo, add a 6-8 circuit after market relay panel and fuse box completely seperate from the existing and run your new equipment to it, do not tap into the existing.
Originally Posted by groho
Tell CJ's you want a OE style harness, same color code, and connectors. As I mentioned to my mustang shop, if the OE wiring diagram states a yellow/red wire, then I expect to see a yellow/red wire in the new harness. (there's no way in he!! I'm gonna remember custom wiring 5 years from now, so I want it to match the factory electrical diagrams so I can go directly to the drawings without trying to second guess myself

I went with AAW and never looked back.

The kit is easy to work with, I never done this in my life and it is easy to work with if you take your time and use common sense. If you can read and navigate a map, and use a set of crimpers your golden.

The OE colored wires are overrated.

The AAW wires may not match OE wires color but they are marked every few inchs as to what they go to, rear tail lights, rear tail lights, head lights, head lights, back up lights, back up lights, ground, ground,.. ETC for every single wire...

It could not be easier, If you get that wrong, you shouldn't be touching any wiring anyway, you can't screw it up unless your not good at installing things.

You will also know years from now what wire goes to what as every single wire is spelled out as to what it is and what and where it goes.

With the AAW kit you got regular new fuses, better and heavier wires to run better bulbs up front, LEDS for all of the parking and braking lights. Custom route your wires if you want a cleaner appearance.

There are tooooo many positives that out weight the negative as to not get the AAW kit. If you follow and look at the AAW installation guide at CJ Pony's site, it gives you incite on what is involved.

http://www.cjponyparts.com/mustang-a...uctions/a/324/

Is it true plug and play? no. Is it easy? It is if you got common sense and use your head.

You can see some of my install in my sig of our '65 coupe build.

Go AAW and don't look back.
http://www.cjponyparts.com/american-...966/p/WHC6466/
Lynn

Last edited by LynnBob Mustang; 08-25-2014 at 08:58 PM.
Old 08-26-2014, 07:00 AM
Stoke

I had my original wiring harness reworked and it came out very nice. Randy does a good job and will let you know if something in your harness needs to be replaced or if you need to get a new one. He goes through it wire by wire to make sure it is working. I had mine back in two weeks and it was a lot less expensive than any of the other options. The only thing that I had to buy new was a new altenator harness since mine had been spliced several times. Check out his website and decide for yourself.

http://midlife66.com/harnesses
Old 08-29-2014, 10:54 AM
TexasAxMan
4th Gear Member

I agree with LynnBob, aftermarket wiring has too many positives to ignore.
Old 08-31-2014, 11:18 AM
Al P

Originally Posted by LynnBob Mustang
I went with AAW and never looked back.

The kit is easy to work with, I never done this in my life and it is easy to work with if you take your time and use common sense. If you can read and navigate a map, and use a set of crimpers your golden.

The OE colored wires are overrated.

The AAW wires may not match OE wires color but they are marked every few inchs as to what they go to, rear tail lights, rear tail lights, head lights, head lights, back up lights, back up lights, ground, ground,.. ETC for every single wire...

It could not be easier, If you get that wrong, you shouldn't be touching any wiring anyway, you can't screw it up unless your not good at installing things.

You will also know years from now what wire goes to what as every single wire is spelled out as to what it is and what and where it goes.

With the AAW kit you got regular new fuses, better and heavier wires to run better bulbs up front, LEDS for all of the parking and braking lights. Custom route your wires if you want a cleaner appearance.

There are tooooo many positives that out weight the negative as to not get the AAW kit. If you follow and look at the AAW installation guide at CJ Pony's site, it gives you incite on what is involved.

http://www.cjponyparts.com/mustang-a...uctions/a/324/

Is it true plug and play? no. Is it easy? It is if you got common sense and use your head.

You can see some of my install in my sig of our '65 coupe build.

Go AAW and don't look back.
http://www.cjponyparts.com/american-...966/p/WHC6466/
Lynn
Thanks for these comments, I did find the AAW kit initially attractive, but hit a stumbling block on the following.
1:They specifically state it supports single wire alternator only. prob is I have a new uprated but original style multi wire alt. with new voltage regulator.
There are hundreds of discussion threads on the web most coming to the conclusion that the "simpler" single wire is not in fact an improvement.
2:It does not support an ammeter. I don't like dials that don't work, especially important ones.
3: there is a review (yet to be verified) that advises it does not have a connection for the 3 speed heater blower???
Has anybody got around these?
Thanks, Al
Old 08-31-2014, 11:20 AM
Al P

Originally Posted by TexasAxMan
I agree with LynnBob, aftermarket wiring has too many positives to ignore.
Thanks but can you look at my comments to LynnBob re single wire alternator, ammeter and heater fan?
Thanks.
Old 08-31-2014, 09:01 PM
barnett468
4th Gear Member

ARE YOU STILL UNDECIDED ON WHAT WIRING KIT TO GET?

IF SO, WHAT DO YOU NOT LIKE ABOUT AN ORIGINAL STYLE SYSTEM THAT HAS WORKED FLAWLESLY FOR 50 YEARS IN MANY, MANY CASES?
Old 09-01-2014, 07:27 AM
LynnBob Mustang
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Al P
Thanks for these comments, I did find the AAW kit initially attractive, but hit a stumbling block on the following.
1:They specifically state it supports single wire alternator only. prob is I have a new uprated but original style multi wire alt. with new voltage regulator.
There are hundreds of discussion threads on the web most coming to the conclusion that the "simpler" single wire is not in fact an improvement.
2:It does not support an ammeter. I don't like dials that don't work, especially important ones.
3: there is a review (yet to be verified) that advises it does not have a connection for the 3 speed heater blower???
Has anybody got around these?
Thanks, Al
1) The reason the AAW only supports the single wire alt is that some of the single wire alts are larger heavier duty units and are better able to help the battery recover from the larger power draws of today's new stronger electrics such as stronger front head lights, LED parking and brake light systems, high power entertainment systems, modern AC systems, and other bigger power drawers that are available for these cars.

The old style wires, new OE style harness or used old harness , aren't heavy enough to handle some of these systems without being overloaded and burn up wires and you may have issues should you decide to add any of these in the future. You may also have to run extra wires should you decided to run LED lights.

The AAW kit makes this already to use for your stock set up or it is ready for future updates without doing anything should you decide to do any later.

The one wire also reduces clutter in the engine bay and making it look cleaner by not having extra wires running around and having the voltage regulator bolted to the core support, or where ever it is bolted to.

So YES, the one wire has it's advantages even if it only reduces engine bay clutter and makes it look cleaner by having less wires running around and parts bolted to the bay area.

2) not sure on the ammeter.

3) Without looking at my directions, I'm 99% sure it tells you how to wire a 3 speed, it just doesn't give you the wires to do so. Not a big deal, if I remember right, and it gives you a diagram on how to do it and it is a piece of cake.

HTH,
Lynn
Old 09-01-2014, 08:28 AM
Al P

Originally Posted by barnett468
ARE YOU STILL UNDECIDED ON WHAT WIRING KIT TO GET?

IF SO, WHAT DO YOU NOT LIKE ABOUT AN ORIGINAL STYLE SYSTEM THAT HAS WORKED FLAWLESLY FOR 50 YEARS IN MANY, MANY CASES?
I have nothing in principal, but who sells them. The main suppliers seem to focus on Painless and AAW. there must be a reason for that, as many fit them.
I have not found a complete kit to consider so please point me in the right direction.

Oh, what do I have against the old system. Well I believe its needs tweaking (not a great problem) for a number of reasons to make it safer and more reliable. But then this is my first Mustang, so I am happy to stand corrected.
More powerful and safer headlights that don't cycle on and off,
An uprated alternator to improve battery life and avoid dimming lights.
A fuse box with better protected and isolated circuits, that you can access easily in an emergency ( like when a fuse goes or something doesn't work)Slightly heavier cable core on a few of the key runs that carry heavier currents like modern headlights and uprated alternator.
As I said I would like to consider an OEM style kit but nobody appears to name the manufacturer/ suppliers, Can you please?
Thanks Al
Old 09-01-2014, 08:19 PM
barnett468
4th Gear Member

I have nothing in principal, but who sells them. The main suppliers seem to focus on Painless and AAW. there must be a reason for that, as many fit them.
The name is "painful" wiring and the shops make a higher margin on them.

Oh, what do I have against the old system. Well I believe its needs tweaking (not a great problem) for a number of reasons to make it safer and more reliable. But then this is my first Mustang, so I am happy to stand corrected.

More powerful and safer headlights that don't cycle on and off,
you can run dot approved halogens with stock wiring from now until kingdom come.

An uprated alternator to improve battery life and avoid dimming lights.
the lites only dim at idle and a slightly higher amp alt will cure this and will plug into the stock system.

if you want to run a 50,000 jigawat alt and are concerned about the size of the charging wire, you only need to replace 1 wire.

A fuse box with better protected and isolated circuits,
there really isn't such a thing exactly. if you want to add non orig options and want individual fuses for those, you can simply buy an auxiliary fuse box for around 20.00.

As I said I would like to consider an OEM style kit but nobody appears to name the manufacturer/ suppliers, Can you please?
Thanks Al
i am not aware of a complete oem kit, however, all the wiring is available separately.
scott drake makes oem wiring.

all the mustang ships sell oem wiring. below is just one.

http://www.nationalpartsdepot.com/st...es-2985-2.html

Last edited by barnett468; 09-01-2014 at 08:24 PM.
Old 09-02-2014, 02:59 PM
TexasAxMan
4th Gear Member

Thanks but can you look at my comments to LynnBob re single wire alternator, ammeter and heater fan?
Thanks.
I know the Ron Francis kit can work with either alternator, and can use the factory ammeter. Not sure about the heater fan, I used a Vintage Air kit.

Quick Reply: 66 re-wire