Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

289 Edelbrock help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2014, 05:00 PM
jonahdeich
1st Gear Member

Default 289 Edelbrock help!!!

I recently got a 1405 Edelbrock carb. and the Performer RPM intake manifold. I am getting gas all the was to the carb. input but it is not getting into the carburetor even when I pump the gas. If I pour gas into the back two holes on the carb the engine will crank up though. I don't understand do I need a spacer. Is there a reason the edelbrock would put gas into the bowl. I will post pics up maybe the throttle isn't opening enough.
Old 05-26-2014, 05:30 PM
Gun Jam

The only real explanation at this point is the inlet needle is stuck shut.

Take a rubber mallet and using a fairly good tap hit the sides and top of the carb maybe in 6 different locations.

That should free up the inlet needle....its not uncommon for them to stick shut if the carb has not been used recently.
Old 05-27-2014, 10:21 AM
jonahdeich
1st Gear Member

Thanks, I will try as soon as I get a chance. i just noticed that when the car is ON the ALT light comes on. Could this be a possible problem. There is no play in the belt and I am wondering if the pump doesnt have enough presure or something. How can I test to see if the carb is working properly?
Old 05-27-2014, 11:29 AM
Gun Jam

The alt light is probably not an issue at this point....it should go out when the engine is running under its own power.

The carb has many sub systems there is no real way to test them all at once other than the engine runs great then you can assume all the carb functions are in the green.

The 1405 is kind of a bummer because it doesn't have some of the cool features like the Holley 4150 and its float sight glass to verify fuel level.

In your case the best bet to test for fuel is to crank it over for say 10 seconds then with the air cleaner off of the carb look down the front two barrels and by hand move the throttle all the way open and you should see the accelerator pump squirt fuel into the front carb barrels.

If you see two good solid streams of fuel it means that: You have fuel in the carb and the accelerator pump is working this alone is enough to get the engine to start and run for a few seconds. You should be able to to run the throttle wide open at least 4 times and get good pump shots each time.

-Gun
Old 05-28-2014, 02:39 PM
barnett468
4th Gear Member

also, disconnect fuel line.

stick end in a bottle etc..

jump the engine at the starter or have someone turn it over while you watch for gas.

the gas should hurl out of the hose. if it looks wimpy, you have a weak pump or partially plugged line or sender in the gas tank.