Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

On modernizing a classic

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2015, 12:34 PM
Nurdyguy
1st Gear Member

Default On modernizing a classic

So, I've got a bit of a conundrum. Since inheriting my grandma's '65 convertible, I've been working to fix and clean up various things. I've also been considering things like installing power lock and power window kits. I can add these things without changing the *look* of the car, but does that affect the car's integrity? Is it really an "original" '65 Mustang if it has all sorts of newfangled enhancements? What about replacing things that are worn out, like the door panels or sun-bleached dash? Do these older parts add character or scream for replacement? Does adding/replacing these things affect the value of the car?

Of course this is all opinion so I'm just wondering what you guys all think.
Old 03-28-2015, 07:18 PM
barnett468
4th Gear Member

replacing worn parts increases the value.

installing custom things can lower the value.

the windows and locks do not affect the structure but they will work poorly and fail.
Old 03-29-2015, 11:55 AM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

It really depends on the options the car came with, which is what determines the car's value, as well as your plans for the car. If it has rare options (or rare combinations of options), like the pony interior or GT package, it's going to be more valuable as an "original" vehicle, or restored to as-original status. If, however, it's a plain-jane C-code car with no really unique options, you're probably not going to hurt it by altering it much. In that case, make it what you want it to be.

That said, I agree with barnett in that power windows and locks are often overly complicated, cheaply made, and will eventually fail. The factory mechanical systems work just fine when serviced properly.
Old 03-30-2015, 03:07 PM
groho
4th Gear Member

You got something there, wow, 65 vert! texas is known for its thunderstorms, so I'd take a min and inspect the underside of your convertible to make sure nothing is rusted through. The vert's have reinforcement plates and torque boxes that weren't found on the coupe and fast back. If you plan to keep the car, do with it as you wish, and enjoy it. If you plan to sell it, keep this one as original as possible.
Old 03-31-2015, 06:34 AM
66and06stangs
2nd Gear Member

My vote is original also. It is awesome to slip into my 66 Fastback, make sure the Nite/Day is correct in the rear view mirror, and watch the heads turn as I drive her around town. I love a well done up restomod, but there is nothing like that original look and feel. A vert would be pretty valuable just as it is.
Old 03-31-2015, 10:12 AM
fastbackford351
Foghorn Leghorn

Scrap the electric windows & door locks idea. That'll be a lot more headache than what it's worth.
Old 03-31-2015, 07:00 PM
69FB
4th Gear Member

I would suggest doing what can be undone. For instance upgrading the brakes to disc will make it safer and more enjoyable to drive but can easily be changed back to stock. Replace the worn parts with original or repop pieces. For dash, door panels just do repops. finding original in good shape will be difficult or very expensive. I love the 65 convertibles. I will say my mechanic has a customer that is going heavy on the modifications but keeping the original look of the car as much as possible. He is doing an air ride suspension, LED lights, heated seats and a plethora of additional modifications but he wants something that he can cruise in for long distances with road trips since he is newly retired.

Just make sure what you do is what you want. Especially if you plan on keeping the car for any length of time. I have seen restomods (done right) fetch high dollars but again I would not build it unless it is what you want or if you plan to sell it in the near future do what can be undone.
Old 04-04-2015, 04:55 PM
Nurdyguy
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the info/advice.

I was tempted to add electric door locks while I was replacing the passenger side latch assembly. It turns out that the kit I bought was defective so I'm sending it back and have decided to leave it as is. At some point in the future I may add electric locks and windows (though those windows kits are stupid expensive...) but for now I'll leave it.

What do you guys do for security/theft deterence?
Old 04-04-2015, 08:26 PM
barnett468
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by barnett468
the windows and locks do not affect the structure but they will work poorly and fail.
Originally Posted by Nurdyguy

I was tempted to add electric door locks while I was replacing the passenger side latch assembly. It turns out that the kit I bought was defective

Originally Posted by Nurdyguy
At some point in the future I may add electric locks and windows
OMG...please stop...you're killin me!

Last edited by barnett468; 04-04-2015 at 08:31 PM.
Old 04-05-2015, 12:35 PM
Nurdyguy
1st Gear Member

Well, everything fails eventually. I mean, I plan to replace the top soon because it has a few holes and one sizable tear. Sure, the new top will eventually get more holes and tears but that isn't gonna stop me. The way I see it, it's about enjoying the car. This car has been in my family for 50 years so I don't plan on selling it any time soon.

Quick Reply: On modernizing a classic