Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Gas tank filling issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2015, 08:33 AM
teeeeg67
1st Gear Member

Default Gas tank filling issue

Hey guys ever since I have had my car I have had a problem with filling it with gas. Even when I am close to empty I can only put about 6 gallons in and then it comes shooting out of the filler neck. I have to baby the pump to get more in it. I still have a siphon spring in the filling neck. Which I'm going to remove because I have to replace the rubber boot between the tank arm and the filler neck. Any one else have a similar issue?
Old 11-03-2015, 08:33 AM
teeeeg67
1st Gear Member

Oh also my car is a 67 coupe. Guess I forgot the important info
Old 11-03-2015, 08:37 AM
racer_dave
3rd Gear Member

I've got a 67 fastback, I tend to hold the nozzle more sideways and less up/down to help smooth out the flow. Also, some pumps flow a lot and I can only do about 1/2 flow without splashback. Other places with slower pumps I can do full open. Remember, the pumps back in the 70's didn't flow nearly as fast as current pumps so the cars didn't have to handle the extra flow rate.
Old 11-03-2015, 08:39 AM
teeeeg67
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by racer_dave
I've got a 67 fastback, I tend to hold the nozzle more sideways and less up/down to help smooth out the flow. Also, some pumps flow a lot and I can only do about 1/2 flow without splashback. Other places with slower pumps I can do full open. Remember, the pumps back in the 70's didn't flow nearly as fast as current pumps so the cars didn't have to handle the extra flow rate.
Yeah I usually hold it sideways and have to go about half flow. Glad I'm not the only one who has this problem. Or had this problem at some point lol
Old 11-03-2015, 09:45 AM
fastbackford351
Foghorn Leghorn

I usually wind up holding it about sideways, upside down, standing on one foot, leaning to the side with my lips curled up with the handle squoze about half way.

Whatever works at that particular moment.
Old 11-03-2015, 11:00 AM
bop11
2nd Gear Member

Very In-ter-est-ing sergeant Schultz!

Especially when nozzles back then for leaded gas were bigger. Unleaded are smaller so you can't get a leaded nozzle into a filler for unleaded. Should be more room for air to escape.
Maybe standing on wrong foot eh Fastback?
Old 11-03-2015, 04:32 PM
MonsterBilly
4th Gear Member

me too
Old 11-03-2015, 06:09 PM
racer_dave
3rd Gear Member

Yes the nozzle was bigger, but that reduced the pressure. The pumps flow more now and more flow with a thinner nozzle equals more pressure= faster/more velocity into fuel neck= more splashback.
Old 11-04-2015, 08:53 AM
bud636
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by teeeeg67
Yeah I usually hold it sideways and have to go about half flow. Glad I'm not the only one who has this problem. Or had this problem at some point lol
My 05 v6 convertible has this same issue. I turn the fuel nozzle completely upside down at times to get fuel past the 6gal mark. It seems to be worse on hot days to get fuel in normally without the twisting of the nozzle. Spashback stops the fuel input at almost any speed when it's hot. Also isn't the fuel tank designed with a hump in the middle? When you get half the fuel capacity in the saddle style tank it has to flow over into the opposite side tank. Any fumes or liquid will cause the safety mechanism to shut off the fuel.
Old 11-16-2015, 10:04 PM
tarafied1
2nd Gear Member

I made a plate that I welded into the neck near the opening. It has the same size hole as the unleaded filler nozzle. The filler is designed to auto shut off when it detects back pressure. There is a small hole in the nozzle. You have to be sure the nozzle fits inside the filler neck far enough to get this small hole inside so it will auto shut off. I made the hole for the nozzle slightly lower than center to allow the nozzle to be pointed downward into the tank. I have a 67 coupe and I have driven it on the Hot Rod Power Tour 6 years now and in 16 different states. It seams to work great everywhere I have been. I can fill at full blast and it shuts off automatically without any splash back.
Oh and it has a 429 so it doesn't pass many gas stations
Attached Thumbnails Gas tank filling issue-filler-up.jpg   Gas tank filling issue-gas-tank-3.jpg   Gas tank filling issue-gas-tank-1.jpg   Gas tank filling issue-429scj-valve-covers.jpg  

Quick Reply: Gas tank filling issue