Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

codes

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2005, 12:44 PM
66stilinprimr

Default codes

I was wandering about the code? I was asked the other day what code my car was and frankley I don't know. He said he was talking about the vin code.
He also said mine might be and A code. What is an A code and what does the code mean? I have been a mechanic for about five years and when some one wants to know something about the car we give them the vin. I know my car has a vin but I don't know it off the top of my head. With any newer car the fourth number in from the left represents the body style. If anyone could help that'd be great.
Old 10-24-2005, 12:55 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: codes

For the classic mustangs, you can look on your driver's side door and there should be a data plate there with the VIN on it. If not, then look on the inner fender under the hood near the driver's side shock tower. The 5th digit is the code for your engine. It will either be a C an A or a K.
The C code is for the 2v engines, the A code is for the 4v engines and the K code is for the 4v engines that are high performance engines.
Old 10-24-2005, 01:03 PM
gta289
3rd Gear Member

The codes in which your friend is refering to is probably the engine code. Very easy to find and to learn the actuall codes to decode. You look at your vin, on your title, or stamped on the fender apron, or in the driver door. It will start with a number which is the year, next a letter which is where it was assembled, ( f, r, t) next an 01, 02 ,03( 01:coupe , 02:fastback 03: convertable)
next is the engine that came in you car which will be a letter also ( either an t, c, a, or a k for your year) And the last six is you consecutive number the car was assembeled on the line>

heres a list of all codes

64 1/2
v- 180 inline six
d- 289 2v low compression
k -289 high performance

t-180 inline six
c-289 2v
a-289 4v
k-289 high performance

t-200 inline six
c-289 2v
a-289 4v
k-289 high performance

t-200 inline six
c- 289 2v
a-289 4v
k-289 hipo
s-390 4v
r- (shelbys only but were actually 390 blocks with 428 add ons)

t- 200 inline six
c (early 68's) 289 2v
j-302 4v
s- 390 4v
x- 390 2v
q- 428
r-428 cobra jet

i know these off the top of my head, and know a little more on the 70's but thats it in a nut shell, Soaring will correct me im sure of it!!!!

Old 10-24-2005, 01:25 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Nah, you nailed that one Joe. I had assumed he was talking about a V8 because his friend thought it was an A code engine.
On edit: Dang it Joe....the I6 in 64 was a 170, not 180.

Here is a decoder that you can use to decifer your car. Also, go up on top and click on the FAQ section and look for VIN decoders. There are several of them that you can use. Here is one for instance. http://www.vintage-mustang.com/topic...de/decode.html
Now, get back with us and let us know what you have. That is your homework assignment, and late work is not allowed.
Old 10-25-2005, 01:30 PM
66stilinprimr

Default ah ha i got it

Hey thanks guys...
I called home and got my mom to look at my door for me she couldn't make all of it out because it old but what I got is...
My body code is 65A the original color was red I knew that but when i got it there were about 4 other colors on top of that....the code was 5 the signal flare red...the guy that had it before me was a real dumbass....his dad bought it new and gave it to his son and he just let it sit in his yard for like 20 years so I'm sure you guys can picture what I started with...It didn't have an interior when I got it but according to the trim code it was black w/ black...Of course the engine was a T code 200 I6....I still have a lot of work to go but it has been fun for the time I have had it and don't ever want to get rid of it...as soon as I get home I am going to post some pics of it but I have don't have access to them at the moment.

Thanks for everything!
Old 10-25-2005, 02:48 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: ah ha i got it

Ya' done good on your homework assighment, so you get an A+. What was your friend thinking of to say it was an A code? Maybe he just didn't know enough about these old ponies. Anyway, good luck with it. Sounds like you have your work cut out for you.
If you need additional information about how to heat up that 6 banger go here.
www.fordsix.com
Old 10-26-2005, 04:29 PM
Charlie1
2nd Gear Member

A couple of things....I thought the original 6 cyl was 170 cubic inches (?). I had one in a 64 fairlane. Also, I just went through my VIN code last night and checked the numbers against a recognition book. What prompted me to do this finally was noticing, for the first time in 4 months, that my speedometer goes to 140 (go little Sprint 200!). That was dutifully explained that the 5-gauge/round speedometer instrument panel that was introduced with GT models in 65 was standard in every Mustang in 66. Anyway, everything matched up except that the plate indicates the standard interior, black/black, but I have the wood-grain steering wheel, woodgrain dash applique, and pony emblems on the seat backs. Yet I have standard door panels. I forgot to check the original window sticker, which came with the car, but were some or all of the Pony interior options available separately? Or could this be all aftermarket stuff previous owners did? I don't think the seller portrayed it as a pony interior (and I wouldn't either), but now I'm thinking I could finish it off with pony door and kick panels, door handles, and I think the pedal pads (chrome trim?) (Would that do it?) I'm told the door panels are gonna fall apart anyway next spring when I take them off to service/fix the window regulators.
Old 10-27-2005, 01:03 PM
66stilinprimr

I am not sure what kind of dash my car is supposed to have...It didn't have any interior when I got it...I am not sure about the 170 i6...I thought it was a 200 and thats what my code says.
Old 10-27-2005, 01:22 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: 66stilinprimr

I am not sure what kind of dash my car is supposed to have...It didn't have any interior when I got it...I am not sure about the 170 i6...I thought it was a 200 and thats what my code says.
Yeah, the instrument cluster (pod) is a five gauge on all 66's. And your engine should be a 200cid. If you already have some pony interior parts on it, why not just do the whole interior with pony stuff?
Old 10-27-2005, 03:28 PM
Charlie1
2nd Gear Member

Sorry, I wasn't clear on my comment on the engine size. I was just saying, as Soaring noted later, that the 64.5 and 65 6-cyl listing should be 170 (not 180). For 66, all the sixes were the 200 cid. I forgot again to check the window sticker (it's in a folder somewhere) to see if my car came from the factory with any options, like the woodgrain steering wheel (which sure looks original). One of the books I have shows all the factory options available, maybe dealer options too, so I'm guessing, 66stilinprimr, that you could recreate your dash and interior based on those and be true to the code numbers if that's important to you. I'm thinking I will finish my interior as pony since I have the right upholstery and dash...wherever they came from!

Quick Reply: codes