Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Disc Setup (list)

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2005, 08:55 PM
tylerdru
4th Gear Member

Default Disc Setup (list)

Okay heres a list of everything i am getting for my discs in a couple weeks. Tell me if i miss something!

Intial brake setup (rc132) 349.00 http://parts.homestead.com/132.html

Splash shields- $80 total. http://dallasmustang.com/prod/60939

Master Cylinder- Can i use this one made for 67? $60 http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductD...pe=230&ptset=A

Proportioning valve $50 http://www.mustangsplus.com/Merchant...gory_Code=prop

Brake lines- At least $120

Tell what i missed!
Old 10-24-2005, 09:01 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Disc Setup (list)

Just look at the Granada list already posted.
Old 10-24-2005, 09:10 PM
tylerdru
4th Gear Member

I hate the granada setup. It just seems stupid to me. You pretty much just put some granada spindles on a mustang and then buy all new parts. Most likely the granada setup you get you will need to get rebuilt calipers and new rotors. Im gonna go to the mustang yard and try and get some used parts like brake lines.
Old 10-24-2005, 10:48 PM
Fastback Guy
2nd Gear Member

JUst asking, but do you need the proportioning valve if you're only doing a front conversion?
Old 10-24-2005, 11:01 PM
tylerdru
4th Gear Member

Yes becuase... umm i dont know why but i know you do.
Old 10-25-2005, 03:26 AM
Fastback Guy
2nd Gear Member

Ok, just checking. I had to have one on my car but I went with 4-wheel disc so I didn't think it was necessary. Just curious, anyone out there know why you need a proportioning valve for front discs only?
Old 10-25-2005, 07:56 AM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

You are going from a jelly jar to a dual bowl MC. That is, if you do it right. If the front blows, you still have back brakes and vice versa. As I understand it, the function of the valve is to prevent too much fluid from flowing out of the rear wheel cylinders (or calipers) when they are at rest. With the fluid level thus maintained by the valve, the brake pedal does not need to travel as far to deploy the rear brakes. I have no proof that this is the function of the valve, except that my '65 has no valve and alarming pedal travel if you're not accustomed to it. I was discussing this with another enthusiast at a meet once, and he ventured the opinion that the proportioning valve was introduced to correct this.

If this is true, it seems the most economical fix would be to remove the valve and make up new brake lines to go directly to the rear brakes. Or it might be possible to remove components from inside the valve to accomplish the same end. Note that I have never tried this, and given the dire hazards of malfunctioning brakes, you should test the brakes very carefully in a deserted area after making any modifications. If you make this modification and survive, I'd love to hear the tale.
Old 10-25-2005, 02:02 PM
66stilinprimr

A proportioning valve is used in the rear to decrease the rate of pressure rise to the drum relative to the pedal force as weight is shifted forward during braking...this prevents the rear from locking up during hard braking conditions...

I might not know alot about classic mustangs but I have been a mechanic for five years
Old 10-25-2005, 02:26 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Sounds like a very good explanation. It may serve several purposes, but it is necessary.
Old 10-25-2005, 08:28 PM
tylerdru
4th Gear Member

Alright i have looked up parts and have gotten my price to $575. Not bad for non granada. Im gonna try and below $500 by searching for better prices. I think I will be able to do so. Do disc brake ease the amount of pressure required to use manual brakes?

I can already take the price down to $545 because my dad happens to travel to Florence Sc every 2 weeks! ( Florence Sc is where the rotors and calipers are located so you can take the $30 shipping fee off.)

Quick Reply: Disc Setup (list)