Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Engine

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2005, 06:36 PM
mustangGTdude1031
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Engine

ORIGINAL: Soaring

ORIGINAL: jrrhd73must

Thanks for keeping the kids straight!

Back to the topic. The 200 I6 was rated the best most reliable engine Ford ever made by consumer reports. It had the least amount of problems. I am not sure about cost, but a four speed would make life a lot nicer and less wear on the engine.
Not true. The 3 speed in third gear, and the top loader in 4th gear have the same gear ratio. There is no gain in either of these tranny's in their top gears at highway speeds.
this is a little off topic, but my coupe is a 4 speed. I really want a stick in it. how hard is it to put a manual in it? if it is to much of a pain then I guess I can live with an auto.
Old 10-25-2005, 06:45 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: mustangGTdude1031

Back to the topic. The 200 I6 was rated the best most reliable engine Ford ever made by consumer reports. It had the least amount of problems. I am not sure about cost, but a four speed would make life a lot nicer and less wear on the engine.
Not true. The 3 speed in third gear, and the top loader in 4th gear have the same gear ratio. There is no gain in either of these tranny's in their top gears at highway speeds.
this is a little off topic, but my coupe is a 4 speed. I really want a stick in it. how hard is it to put a manual in it? if it is to much of a pain then I guess I can live with an auto.
What auto do you have in it now?
Old 10-25-2005, 07:04 PM
mustangGTdude1031
4th Gear Member

What auto do you have in it now?
I'm almost possitive its a C-4.
Old 10-26-2005, 10:21 AM
jrrhd73must
3rd Gear Member

Soaring - Having just sheared a shear pin on a distributor I am a believer in the less space between gears the better - i.e. 4 gives you another gear between High and Low and therefore a lot smaller range in operating RPMs.

The C4 is a decent transmission and can be built almost bullit proof. Many drag racers are starting to use C4s vs C6 because they are slightly lighter.
Old 10-26-2005, 11:13 AM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Oh, I agree the 4 speed is overall better than the 3 speed. I just disagree that the 4 speed is easier on the engine. I wish I had a top loader in mine. If you are going to do hard-core drag racing, you cannot beat an automatic transmission. For road racing and autocrossing, I believe you need to have a manual transmission. For driving on the street, it is personal preference. An automatic in your daily driver may be more convenient, but banging a manual is a lot more fun for me.
Old 10-26-2005, 07:56 PM
mustangGTdude1031
4th Gear Member

Oh, I agree the 4 speed is overall better than the 3 speed. I just disagree that the 4 speed is easier on the engine. I wish I had a top loader in mine. If you are going to do hard-core drag racing, you cannot beat an automatic transmission. For road racing and autocrossing, I believe you need to have a manual transmission. For driving on the street, it is personal preference. An automatic in your daily driver may be more convenient, but banging a manual is a lot more fun for me.
sorry to be rude, but could you answer my question that I asked earlier please?

sorry, I've just been waiting a while to see what you had to say.
Old 10-27-2005, 12:50 AM
Scott H.
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 66stilinprimr

My mustang came with a 200 I6 strapped to a 3 speed manual...I have taken them both out..Now I have to decide to rebuild the engine and tranny and put them back in or look for another option? What do you guys think?
How about picking up a pre '94 GT Mustang w/standard trans as a doner car, and swapping in the whole drive train? I've seen them go from $2,500.00 up, and if you get one that's been wrecked you might even find it cheaper.
From there, I'd suggest updating the brakes, steering, springs and shocks.
If the donor car was $2,500.00 you can get everything else you need for another $2,500.00 and have a sweet roller block 5.0 EFI, 5 speed, 8.8 rear end w/limited slip.
Mostly it takes time to search around and find the stuff. If you've got the time, you can do this stuff pretty much on the cheap, and come out with a really nice car.
Old 10-27-2005, 03:09 AM
Shifty101Easy
5th Gear Member

i wouldnt go EFI...but thats just my opinion...keep classics classic.
Old 10-27-2005, 08:09 AM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

sorry to be rude, but could you answer my question that I asked earlier please?

sorry, I've just been waiting a while to see what you had to say.
You're not rude. Understand, that I have not personally done this swap, as I already have a manual in mine. But, here is my understanding.
You need a flywheel, clutch/pressure plate, t-5 or other manual tranny, shifter, clutch cable, and pedal assembly. Driveshaft in auto has counterbalance on in and is a diffenent length. It will work though. The crossmembers are also different but work. Its a matter of pulling out the old pedals, thats the most tedious job.

Tools needed:
All sockets, metric, SAE, and different depths.
Swivels, and swivel ratchet, and extentions
Air Compressor, and die grinder.
4 jack stands, and 2 jacks
torque wrentch
clutch alignment tool
hammer

If I were you, I would get a shifter kit for that C4, unless you want to go all the trouble and expense of swapping it for a manual.

Old 10-27-2005, 12:52 PM
66stilinprimr

Swapping an auto for a manual can be a pain, but for every car is a different story...I have done it in my friends camaro....soaring pretty much everything you need...there is a little bit of welding and cutting involved when it somes to the pedals...also findind the right crossmember to mount the tranny on can be difficult..once you find one of course you have to cut and drill to get it to fit correctly...but you also have to remember that the manual tranny is going to be a different size compared to the auto...depending on what you are swapping it could be shorter or longer....the biggest advantage of the two is that the manual will be lighter than the auto...what year is your car, depending on what year the car is you might need a hydraulic clutch which involves a clutch master cylinder but that's a whole different story.

Quick Reply: Engine