Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Engine

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2005, 01:32 PM
66stilinprimr

Default Engine

My mustang came with a 200 I6 strapped to a 3 speed manual...I have taken them both out..Now I have to decide to rebuild the engine and tranny and put them back in or look for another option? What do you guys think?
Old 10-25-2005, 01:35 PM
gta289
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Engine

we had a similar question not to long ago. It comes down to this, dont waste your time and money into converting it to a V8, for the amount of money it takes, you could buy a decently restored V8 mustang. My suggestion, rebuild the motor and tranny, and have fun with it. Opinions wil vary im sure, but trust me, its not worth the conversion, unless you never plan on selling, because u will loose money on it
Old 10-25-2005, 01:42 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

That depends what you want the end result to be. If you just want a street car, that I6 can be built so it has lots of go fast power, and they are really tough engines. Go to this site a look around. http://www.fordsix.com/
Old 10-25-2005, 01:46 PM
gta289
3rd Gear Member

glen,
man everytime i think you fell asleep, bam, your right on top of every post i write.....geez i think you do that just to freak me out lol
Old 10-25-2005, 01:46 PM
gta289
3rd Gear Member

hit post twice
Old 10-25-2005, 02:41 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Yeah, whenever we accept a mod job, we pretty much have to stay on top of things. Plus I like to chat about old Mustangs. And, there isn't a dang thing on TV that I want to watch anyway, except NFL football. However, over here on the island, we only get the Armed Forces Network channels, and they only have one game on each week, and they come on late at night because we are 5 hours ahead of the the east coast. So, my VCR gets a work-out.
Old 10-25-2005, 03:02 PM
gta289
3rd Gear Member

lol, man glen i had no idea, u say u live on an island?? where at?
Old 10-25-2005, 04:00 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: gta289

lol, man glen i had no idea, u say u live on an island?? where at?
I work for the department of defense as a Department of Defense Dependent's Schools teacher. I am currently the high school band director at Lajes High School. Lajes is an air base on Terceira Island, Portugal. It is one of a chain of 9 islands in the middle of the Atlantic ocean. The chain of islands are called the Azores, and is where Columbus launched his ships to make the big trek across the Atlantic to discover America. If you look at a map of the world, it is off the coast of Portugal about 600 miles from the mainland in a straight line with let's say Virginia. Our U.S. Airforce shares the runway with the Portugese. It is mainly a re-fueling station for U.S. aircraft being deployed to the middle east from the states. The pilots land here to re-fuel and catch a few winks before venturing on to their destination. So, we have family members here, and therefore kids who need to go to school. We have DoDDS schools all over the Pacific, Europe, Cuba.....you name it.
Old 10-25-2005, 06:00 PM
jrrhd73must
3rd Gear Member

Thanks for keeping the kids straight!

Back to the topic. The 200 I6 was rated the best most reliable engine Ford ever made by consumer reports. It had the least amount of problems. I am not sure about cost, but a four speed would make life a lot nicer and less wear on the engine.
Old 10-25-2005, 06:14 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: jrrhd73must

Thanks for keeping the kids straight!

Back to the topic. The 200 I6 was rated the best most reliable engine Ford ever made by consumer reports. It had the least amount of problems. I am not sure about cost, but a four speed would make life a lot nicer and less wear on the engine.
Not true. The 3 speed in third gear, and the top loader in 4th gear have the same gear ratio. There is no gain in either of these tranny's in their top gears at highway speeds.

Quick Reply: Engine