Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

What exhaust to go with???

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2017, 03:25 PM
MineSparky

Default What exhaust to go with???

I have a 67 mustang that I have restored and got on the road this spring.It has a 302 under the hood.
I currently have long tube headers, 2 1/4" exhaust with cherry bombs. I had many small pins hole leaks that I have since repaired. It sounds good at Idle but when you step on it sounds like a trumpet.
I want to replace the entire exhaust except the headers but reading on the internet I am more confused than ever.
I want the car to rumble at Idle and be loud but with no drone.
Can anyone help me?
Old 05-28-2017, 05:05 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

Your best bet is to go to a car show and see if you can get owners with different exhaust setups to fire up their cars for you.

Your next best bet is to browse youtube for muffler videos to see what you like. It's not the same as listening in person, but it's convenient.

I would recommend against any chambered mufflers (ie. Flowmaster 30-50 series). These mufflers end up with a raspy tone and tend to drone at cruise rpm.

I prefer the sound of Magnaflows on most vehicles. They're high quality fiberglass-packed mufflers that are readily available. They have a nice gurgle at idle, sound great at WOT, and don't tend to drone like Flowmasters.

I have a set of Flowmaster Hushpower II's (I believe they're called Super HP-2 now) on my car that sound absolutely amazing. They're much smaller diameter than regular mufflers, designed for hot rods, jeeps, and race cars where clearance is an issue but performance is still critical. They utilize laminar-flow engineering to improve exhaust flow rather than restrict it, and they create a very unique sound with minimal resonance. The downside is that they're pricey.

Last edited by Starfury; 05-28-2017 at 05:08 PM.
Old 05-28-2017, 06:11 PM
MineSparky

If I go with Super HP-2 do I need a muffler as well. Doing some reading looks like guys use these as resonator. Sorry if I don't really make a bunch of sence this is all new to me.
Old 05-28-2017, 06:15 PM
Gun Jam

I run the dynomax as shown below. They sound good at idle and under power with no drone or anything obnoxious at cruise.

http://www.dynomax.com/mufflers/ultr...tered-579.html
Old 05-28-2017, 07:44 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MineSparky
If I go with Super HP-2 do I need a muffler as well. Doing some reading looks like guys use these as resonator. Sorry if I don't really make a bunch of sence this is all new to me.
No. The Hushpower designs are meant to be used as mufflers, which is how I'm using them. I suppose you could use them as resonators, but there are more economical ways to achieve that effect.
Old 05-28-2017, 08:56 PM
MineSparky

Do you have a resonator to go with the Super HP-2 or should I need one? I only want to do this once.
Old 05-28-2017, 09:32 PM
MineSparky

I was thinking about the SLP Loudmouth Resonators
Old 05-28-2017, 09:54 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

I wouldn't use resonators with the HP-2s, but that's personal preference.

The SLP bullet resonators alone will be LOUD. They're designed to dampen specific frequencies for race applications. The SLP bullet mufflers are little more than high-end glasspacks. If you used both the bullet mufflers and the resonators, you'd still have a pretty loud exhaust note, but you might be able to done down some of the droning.

Read this for an explanation of resonators vs mufflers:
http://www.cjponyparts.com/resources...-vs-resonators